Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 30

Questions arise

Its been interesting to not only view and write about the Sisters, but read everyone else's comments. There are a few things that keep coming up and I thought worth putting some thoughts out there for people to react to. I was gone this weekend and didn't get to see the WVU game, but the comments persist...so here we go.

Over the past few years there is one particular trend that has proven disturbing to many fans and I'm sure to the coaches as well - scoring droughts. So far this year there have been short droughts and long ones. Perhaps the worst of them all was the recent 11 1/2 minute span and there have been others this year ranging from 4-5 minutes on up. Why do these happen? I don't think there is a simple answer, but I'll offer up a few observations. (1) in an attempt to slow games down our offense only leaves 8-9 seconds to get things moving and usually this isn't enough. (2) lack of movement. Typically during these droughts I see players standing. Brynn is best when she is moving and creating space. All too often I see her doing what Bolte used to do...stand in a spot and wait. Adding to this standing phenomena is a distinct lack of ball movement. If you watched OSU against us you saw the ball being moved quickly, sharply and it was nearly impossible to keep up with. When we play our best you see the same. Unfortunately its not often enough. (3) shooting. This includes poor shot selection. But for the most part it is taking a shot that is a low percentage shot. Having to settle because the (1) shot clock is running out. Its also all those times when bunnies are missed inside. This last one happens to everyone. Even Brittany Griner missed point blank layups against us. In any case, there are these and other reasons for scoring droughts. Its just been very unusual that this has become part of the Sister's image.

Turnovers. I'm not sure there is anything as frustrating as turnovers. Especially those that aren't forced by the opponent. This includes lazy passes. Stupid passes. Lack of effort. Simply not valuing the ball. I'll pick on Moody here, but everyone on this team has contributed to this bug. In Moody you have a point guard with a high upside that also makes some of the most insane turnovers of any point guard we've had. She can do some mind boggling things that are positive and some mind boggling things that make you wonder what she's doing. You hear Coach Fennelly talk about turnovers all the time. These are missed scoring opportunities. They impact the clock. They change control of the game. This is one that is hard to put a finger on the cause. Carelessness? Trying to hard? Being up against better players? This is a puzzler. What makes it even more of a puzzle is seeing the difference in two halves. You might see double digit turnovers in the first half and 4-5 in the second. What changes? Why was this mindset not present from the beginning?

Of course the interesting aspect of a sport like basketball is that all of these things interweave, one impacting the other, and impacting the next, etc. A domino affect of sorts. Its addressing these type of things where a head coach really earns their pay. Ahhh...to be a little mouse in the corner.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 39

Re: Questions arise

Not sure what happened to our old offense that seemed to be "shoot before you turn it over." Now we have the PG dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble until the shot clock is down and we force a bad pass and/or launch a bad shot. I am just a fan without any advanced hoops knowledge but I have no idea what our offense is trying to do other than burn clock. I guess I don't blame the team for not moving when the ball is not even over midcourt. I also think we move and work so hard on defense that there isn't enough left for offense; Williamson and Christofferson play 40 minutes a game. Christofferson's versatility helps her being able to score but the others needs some sort of actual offense to be run (IMHO). Another thing is that with absolutely no team depth it is not like we can rest folks or even pull someone who is not playing well.

Just stuff I wonder about as a dumb fan and I await the comments of some of my favorite posters who actually know something about hoops science!

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 31

I agree with our bench problem, we don't have enough players to shuttle in and out that are good offensive players. Our offense tends to be either three pointers, or the inside game, and I think that makes it easy for the defense to key on those aspects. I think our players get tired, especially Moody, Brynn, and Hallie. These are guesses, but at this point we don't have players that can add much of an offensive spark off the bench. Or at least, that is the coaches assessment. I was impressed how some of the players played at the end of the Baylor game. I am not sure it wouldn't be possible to give Hagedorn some more time off the bench. She seems to have a reliable 3 point shot, and be a reasonable defensive player. We don't get to see her enough to assess, but I think we need more help off the bench, and I think Moody and Kidd need to do more driving the middle. That may not be possible with Moody because she has so great a load and needs to reserve her energy.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

You have to wonder if our slow down offense is part of the problem. Against OU we pushed the ball alot and offense clicked. I guess what I don't like about "shortening" the game is we allow opposing defense to get set up and mismatches are less frequent. But you could clearly see our players gassed early in that game.

We talk about "ugly" but he fact is we have won two road games in the Big 12, and are basically 5-1 in Big 12. If we could get the TOs down, this team could go very far this year and staff knows it. Really seems the girls have a lot of chemistry out there, and care alot about each other and sometimes motivating each other and not wanting to let each other down is more impactful than any play drawn up.

Wish Emiah would have worked out but with Jadda coming in next year, she may have been getting a lot of pine time withoutconsistent a 3ball shot.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 462
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

Sounds like your talking about my 5th grade girls team

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 993
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    You have to wonder if our slow down offense is part of the problem. Against OU we pushed the ball alot and offense clicked. I guess what I don't like about "shortening" the game is we allow opposing defense to get set up and mismatches are less frequent. But you could clearly see our players gassed early in that game.

We talk about "ugly" but he fact is we have won two road games in the Big 12, and are basically 5-1 in Big 12. If we could get the TOs down, this team could go very far this year and staff knows it. Really seems the girls have a lot of chemistry out there, and care alot about each other and sometimes motivating each other and not wanting to let each other down is more impactful than any play drawn up.

Wish Emiah would have worked out but with Jadda coming in next year, she may have been getting a lot of pine time withoutconsistent a 3ball shot.
    You might be right, we are damned if we do (speed up the offense and gas our depthless squad out) and damned if we don't (slow it down to save the gals wind but lose any semblance of structure on offense). Probably won't know how this is going to turnout till around a dozen games or so in conference.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 789
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 8

I heard alot of complaints about the slowdown offense but I have to believe the coaches know the best way to play the game. As to the TO's we do need to keep them low but if we play tough defense and force the other team to have as many or more then we do we can still be in the game. The North Carolina 29 TO's Miami 24 TO"s went down to the final play of the game today. I would like to see us play a few more girls but that has not been BF's style for years and Emiah is gone, did not fit in so she is a non issue and Jadda will not be here till next year. Right now I just cheer for the players we have and support them and our coaches and hpoe the players don't read amny of the negative comments people on here ake about them when they don't play like they feel they should. I think BF's comments in the pregame show wer very enlightning when he said that if you could tell what these young players would do everytime out he would be an expert and would be speaking all over the country telling all coaches how to know what young people will do.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 82

Good discussion in this thread. While it has been frustrating to see the scoring droughts and careless turnovers on offense, our defense is VERY good. ESPN stats show that we are the best Big XII defensive club & 18th in the nation. We are also 1st in the Big XII in opp fg% & 3rd in the nation. I appreciate that the Sisters generally don't let their lack of offense affect their defensive intensity. THAT was the crucial piece of the puzzle to the win over WVU (and other "ugly" wins of the past). Yes, we went a long stretch without scoring on Saturday, but our defense forced them into an even longer offensive dry spell. Additionally, I wonder just how much the change in the way WBB is played and officiated today (at least in the Big XII) has robbed our finesse and "free-flowing" style of play. I miss those days, but not sure that college basketball will ever get back to favoring finesse over physical play (sigh...).

Utah Utes, Illinois Illini. The University of Pennsylvania thought about following this pattern by calling themselves the Pennsylvania Pencils. However, they were afraid their students would start chanting "We're No. 2"

Walk On
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

How much have we played slow down, dribble in the back court, besides Baylor? In that game, they obviously were trying to keep our only ball handler rested, so she could play every minute she could.

Everyone is doing a much better job of scouting, and taking away what you are good at on offense. We can't complain, because BF was one of the coaches who succeeded at that, and now everyone better do it if they want to compete.

We are in good shape for 2nd place, so the coaches and seniors are doing something right.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

It is a fact of the game that faster offense means more points on both sides. Guess staff thinks we are a better defensive team than offensive where the Men's team is the other way around.

I would like to see maybe a happy medium. Slow it down sometimes to give players a rest and speed it up at times to create opportunities I like the idea of dictating the tempo of the game.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 8

I am far from a women's basketball hater, but their games are so very painful to watch. I hope they win, but I'm not going to attend a game and I'm rarely going to watch on tv. We have one player in Moody that plays the game with any kind of fluidity. Cristofferson is also skilled given her size. Other than that, the offense is abnormally horrible. Anna Prins has the basketball IQ of a third grader and our team in general doesn't understand the game. It's pretty amazing they win as much as they do.

I've also noticed Bill's negativity and arm-throwing have spread to the assistants. There used to be an attractive positivity attached to the women's team. Now all we see is Bill looking miserable and a style of play that isn't fan-friendly. At some point, we ditched the three-point shooting and decided to become the Wisconsin men's team. Sure, we win, but I won't be watching and that's half the battle with women's basketball.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Walk On
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    I am far from a women's basketball hater, but their games are so very painful to watch. I hope they win, but I'm not going to attend a game and I'm rarely going to watch on tv. We have one player in Moody that plays the game with any kind of fluidity. Cristofferson is also skilled given her size. Other than that, the offense is abnormally horrible. Anna Prins has the basketball IQ of a third grader and our team in general doesn't understand the game. It's pretty amazing they win as much as they do.

I've also noticed Bill's negativity and arm-throwing have spread to the assistants. There used to be an attractive positivity attached to the women's team. Now all we see is Bill looking miserable and a style of play that isn't fan-friendly. At some point, we ditched the three-point shooting and decided to become the Wisconsin men's team. Sure, we win, but I won't be watching and that's half the battle with women's basketball.
    No comment, because I don't argue with fools. You don't know what you are talking about.

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,810
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Not sure what happened to our old offense that seemed to be "shoot before you turn it over." Now we have the PG dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble until the shot clock is down and we force a bad pass and/or launch a bad shot. I am just a fan without any advanced hoops knowledge but I have no idea what our offense is trying to do other than burn clock. I guess I don't blame the team for not moving when the ball is not even over midcourt. I also think we move and work so hard on defense that there isn't enough left for offense; Williamson and Christofferson play 40 minutes a game. Christofferson's versatility helps her being able to score but the others needs some sort of actual offense to be run (IMHO). Another thing is that with absolutely no team depth it is not like we can rest folks or even pull someone who is not playing well.

Just stuff I wonder about as a dumb fan and I await the comments of some of my favorite posters who actually know something about hoops science!
    That original offensive philosophy (which made ISU so much fun to watch back in the late '90s) went out the door when the rest of the league really started playing a physical brand of basketball. ISU, you will remember, struggled for a couple of years to adapt, and while we are competitive the game isn't quite as much fun to watch as it used to be.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

Will poppens ever get back on track this year?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Will poppens ever get back on track this year?
    She has had some flashes. I think her defense and rebounding will continue to shine, but she is going to draw the best in the paint post defender night in and night out, so, we need Anna to have some impact there, and to some degree that is why Hallie is doing so well. The other teams are putting guards on her, because their post is occupied.