Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 695
    Given: 580

My own Big 12 power rankings 1/27

I'm going to take a stab at what the media will most likely have the power rankings at after this week of games.

1. Kansas - Still undefeated in conference play and have already beaten the top 4 teams below them.
    2. Baylor - Only loss so far was to KU and have beaten all other opponents pretty handily.
    3. Iowa State - Big loss to Texas tech which will keep them from the #2 spot. Win against KSU helped make up some of it. Big week with games at OSU and home vs. Baylor that can help reclaim #2 spot.
    4. Kansas State - Had a tough stretch against KU and ISU and lost both but still very worthy team.
    5. Oklahoma - Could very well make its way towards top of conference.
    6. Oklahoma State - Dangerous team that just like OU could still make a big splash.
    7. West Virginia - Still facing problems adapting to Big 12 play and falls to OSU
    8. Texas - Able to get back on track with a win against Tech. Missing Kabongo.
    9. Texas Tech - Nabbed a win against ISU wednesday solidifies they are ahead of TCU
    10. Texas Christian - Still winless in conference

"The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

Prospect
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 215
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: My own Big 12 power rankings 1/27

I like the way you think. It will be very difficult, in my opinion, for ISU to keep up their intensity each and every game. I would love to scratch out a second place overall in conference, but like last year, I really believed we were the most untalked about team in the B12 that finished that high. A lot a bball to be played yet. Which is a good thing.

The only thing I have ever wanted was to be Pete Taylor......once.

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 983
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 12

We'll be tough to beat at home but we have to take it on the road and beat some good teams, let alone the bottom feeders. I'd be ecstatic if we finish in the top 4

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 40

the next two at home, Baylor and OU will be big games, not that OSU on the road won't but refuse to get my hopes up as they have dashed so many times since the last time we won there, 88!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    I'm going to take a stab at what the media will most likely have the power rankings at after this week of games.

1. Kansas - Still undefeated in conference play and have already beaten the top 4 teams below them.
    2. Baylor - Only loss so far was to KU and have beaten all other opponents pretty handily.
    3. Iowa State - Big loss to Texas tech which will keep them from the #2 spot. Win against KSU helped make up some of it. Big week with games at OSU and home vs. Baylor that can help reclaim #2 spot.
    4. Kansas State - Had a tough stretch against KU and ISU and lost both but still very worthy team.
    5. Oklahoma - Could very well make its way towards top of conference.
    6. Oklahoma State - Dangerous team that just like OU could still make a big splash.
    7. West Virginia - Still facing problems adapting to Big 12 play and falls to OSU
    8. Texas - Able to get back on track with a win against Tech. Missing Kabongo.
    9. Texas Tech - Nabbed a win against ISU wednesday solidifies they are ahead of TCU
    10. Texas Christian - Still winless in conference
    Are these standings or power rankings? Not that there is really anything techincally wrong with your rankings, but aside from TTU and Texas being swapped these are the standings as of today.

Here's I see the rankings based on current play level.

1. Kansas
    2. Kansas State. I know we just beat them. I actually think ISU and KState may likely end the season tied or battling for second. At this point though I'm giving the edge to KState as they have no bad losses- ISU does.
    3. Iowa State. We are hard to figure. It is obvious that we can beat anyone and loss to anyone. If the loss to Tech did unify this team then this is a very likely place to finish the season if not higher.
    4. Baylor. They have had some bad games against good teams and some great games against bad teams. I don't know how many games they are going to win against KU, KState, ISU or even OU. I can even see them lose to OSU on the road too.
    5. Oklahoma. I was a little dubious about OU. I didn't think they had it in them, but they are doing well. I could even see them finishing in 4th, but I think 5th is more realistic.
    6. OSU. I thought OSU had the ability to be higher and they have had some good games but yet they still are 3-3 in the Big 12. OSU could still finish higher than OU, but right now I have to put them here.
    7. West Virginia. Right now they go here.
    8. Texas. I think they will make moves on West Virginia's spot as the season moves on.
    9. Texas Tech. I think we could see Tech push some other teams at home. I would have my eye on the Feb 2nd when West Virginia comes to town. I don't think Tech can win on the road in the Big 12 except against TCU
    10. TCU. Was there ever any doubt where they would be?

Last edited by jaretac; 01-27-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485

I really think this next game at OSU is critical. I think that if we win that game, we will also win at home against Baylor. But I think if we lose at OSU, we could very easily then turn around and also lose to Baylor.

So although it's possible we go 1-1 the next 2 games, I think it's more likely that we will either go 2-0 or 0-2.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 613

Quote Originally Posted by EddyCy View Post
    I like the way you think. It will be very difficult, in my opinion, for ISU to keep up their intensity each and every game. I would love to scratch out a second place overall in conference, but like last year, I really believed we were the most untalked about team in the B12 that finished that high. A lot a bball to be played yet. Which is a good thing.
    We also laid an egg in the tournament.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 985
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 113
    Given: 56

tech should be ahead of texas. tech has 2 conference wins and texas has zero.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 210

Quote Originally Posted by iacyguy View Post
    tech should be ahead of texas. tech has 2 conference wins and texas has zero.
    Texas destroyed them last night. So actually Texas does have 1. These aren't the polls they are PR

Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 695
    Given: 580

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    Are these standings or power rankings? Not that there is really anything techincally wrong with your rankings, but aside from TTU and Texas being swapped these are the standings as of today.

Here's I see the rankings based on current play level.

1. Kansas
    2. Kansas State. I know we just beat them. I actually think ISU and KState may likely end the season tied or battling for second. At this point though I'm giving the edge to KState as they have no bad losses- ISU does.
    3. Iowa State. We are hard to figure. It is obvious that we can beat anyone and loss to anyone. If the loss to Tech did unify this team then this is a very likely place to finish the season if not higher.
    4. Baylor. They have had some bad games against good teams and some great games against bad teams. I don't know how many games they are going to win against KU, KState, ISU or even OU. I can even see them lose to OSU on the road too.
    5. Oklahoma. I was a little dubious about OU. I didn't think they had it in them, but they are doing well. I could even see them finishing in 4th, but I think 5th is more realistic.
    6. OSU. I thought OSU had the ability to be higher and they have had some good games but yet they still are 3-3 in the Big 12. OSU could still finish higher than OU, but right now I have to put them here.
    7. West Virginia. Right now they go here.
    8. Texas. I think they will make moves on West Virginia's spot as the season moves on.
    9. Texas Tech. I think we could see Tech push some other teams at home. I would have my eye on the Feb 2nd when West Virginia comes to town. I don't think Tech can win on the road in the Big 12 except against TCU
    10. TCU. Was there ever any doubt where they would be?
    I based it on what the teams have done so far at this point. I could do another top 10 based on who I think are the best teams not based on what they have done.

"The greatest risk in life is not taking one"

Walk On
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

The Baylor game on the 2nd is a must win to get the 19th consecutive win in hilton and Baylor is also VERY dangerous.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I really think this next game at OSU is critical. I think that if we win that game, we will also win at home against Baylor. But I think if we lose at OSU, we could very easily then turn around and also lose to Baylor.

So although it's possible we go 1-1 the next 2 games, I think it's more likely that we will either go 2-0 or 0-2.
    What makes you think this? We've only lost back-to-back conference games once in the past 2 years, and they were to top-10 Missery and Kansas teams. If Fred's proven anything since arriving here, it's that he can bounce back from a loss and keep the players from hanging their heads.

It is interesting, though, that our next game is in a venue where we have a massive losing streak (since early 90s, I think), and we follow it by hosting Baylor where they have never won.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by CysRage View Post
    I based it on what the teams have done so far at this point. I could do another top 10 based on who I think are the best teams not based on what they have done.
    I'm doing mine based on who I think is the best team. I don't know, that is just how I view power rankings. There really is no right or wrong answer (providing you have TCU at the bottom) since it is all opinion so no hard feelings. I just think doing it your way tends to give standings instead of actual power rankings.