Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 89

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies battle in 66--51 loss to #1 Baylor

Finally, home at last on a frigid January evening. That northern wind just bit through you as we walked into Hilton tonight for the rematch with #1 Baylor.

Those of you that read my post from Sunday know that I wondered how this team would respond after that nasty game. I can now say that, overall, they responded well. Not well enough, but more on the good later.

This was a game that if you could remove an 11 minute span in the first half, would have been nip and tuck all the way to the finish. Unfortunately, unlike video editors, we can’t choose to remove that particular section of time. I’ll mention it here and then forever leave it behind. The ladies had worked their way out to a 6-6 tie with the Green Bears when the clock struck 17 1/2 minutes to go. From that point until the 6 minute mark, the Sisters wouldn’t score. More than 11 minutes of offensive misery led by turnovers, blocked shots, and ugly offensive ball. It was offensive only in the bad sense. The numbers don’t lie. 13 turnovers in the first half and nearly all landing during that critical time. All of a sudden the 6-6 tie had turned into a 21-6 lead for the Bears and eventually a 31-16 halftime lead. So we know where this game got away. How did it happen? Turnovers. Lots of them. Most attached to Moody. Some high risk passes. Some lazy passes. Some where players didn’t come to the ball. Offensive players standing around. I thought Brynn was the second coming of Kelsey Bolte…just standing in one spot on the 3 point line like someone would actually forget to guard her. Prins getting blocked 3 times by Griner. Pop not finding any openings inside. Shots taken and missed. By the time Hal hit a basket, the Sisters were shooting a whopping 16%.

But you know what? There was lots of good in this game too. The entire game the defensive pressure was sound. A few breakdowns here and there, but it was good effort by the ladies. In the second half, the ladies came out battling. They pushed back. Instead of scoring a measly 16, they hit for 35. Much of the damage came inside with Prins hitting for 17 tonight. She fought with Griner hard. Griner finally went to the bench with about 6 minutes left after getting her 4th foul. She could have been called for about 5-6 more, but the officials never seem to call over the back on her. What was the difference in the halves? Turnovers. Only five in the second. Why? Players were moving, helping out. Moody attacked the basket as did others. We battled for rebounds throughout the game and barely lost the team battle there. If you remember the game in Waco, the Bears outscored ISU something like 50-0 in the paint. Not tonight. Our bigs took it to them. Hal was hustling all over before fouling out (a rare thing) late in the game. Anna was pulling down boards as was Pop. It was an exciting half to watch. The ladies would pull within 14-15 points and each time Baylor had an answer. Yet, I honestly felt the ladies were in this game. A couple of breaks here or there…the biggest we needed was to get rid of the discrepancy in fouls. Until late in the game the Bears seemed immune to the whistles. Now I will admit Pop’s fouls for the most part were stupid. Frustration type fouls. Things a senior shouldn’t do. Some calls on us were borderline ridiculous compared to the muggings occurring when we were on offense. That led to the 24-11 advantage in foul shots by Baylor.

The Players…
    Player of the Game – Anna Prins. She really fought hard tonight. Hit a 3 early, but her damage was done inside. She took on Griner and did a great job tonight. What would you think if before the game I said Griner would only outscore Anna 22-17? I’d take that any day. Anna was physical and I hope she can find a way to bottle a game like this.

Hustle Players? Hal and Pop. Pop is having trouble scoring of late. Some of that is due to the types of teams we are playing, but she just isn’t getting the opportunities right now. She only took 6 shots tonight. But there she was getting steals, pulling down 9 boards and making life miserable for Baylor. I just wish she would stop with the “dumb” fouls. Hal has been playing her best ball of the year of late. She was our only offense at OSU and tonight she was everywhere. Getting layups. Hitting a 3. Grabbing rebounds and playing tough D on whoever she was placed on.

Brynn – pretty non-existent in the first half. A stand still player. In the second, she came alive. She was hustling, moving around on offense. Valued the ball. Hit three 3 pointers and pulled down 9 boards. That’s the way I want to see her play.

Moody – this was a mixed bag. In the first half it seemed she was a second behind everyone. She made passes a second too late and those TEN turnovers resulted in a bunch of Baylor points. Too many break away layups resulted. 1-10 shooting from the field. Not pretty. Many would say it had something to do with Sims being on her. I don’t think so. Too many of those first half passes were just poor choices from my viewpoint.

Fallon and Kidd got considerable playing time tonight. Fallon was her usual tough self. She really battled but was outsized. Kidd played 20 minutes and didn’t contribute much other than spelling other players. Tough defense but the offensive side was not there. Hardly got open. Seemed in a bit of a panic at times.

Interesting note – Griner has such a respected presence in the middle that twice Iowa State players failed to take wide open shots seemingly because when they turned to the basket they expected Griner to be there. She wasn’t and we missed on two great opps. Griner also had a two handed dunk in the first half off of one of our turnovers. Even the ISU fans appreciated that!

Note #2 - ISU has held Baylor to its two lowest point totals this season.

So, this wasn’t a game that was all bad. We essentially battled Baylor even from the 5 minute mark of the first half through the rest of the game. I don’t think they ever felt, until just a few minutes left, like this game was in the bag. I was impressed with how the ladies came out and fought in the second half. Right now, the two biggest things that have to occur are Pop having fewer fouls and our guard court showing up. There isn’t a better time than this road trip to WVU and KU.

By the way…I mentioned elsewhere that OSU wasn’t a good road team? They lost to a very average KSU tonight in the little Apple. The middle of the Big 12 is getting crowded right now.

Last edited by acoustimac; 01-24-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies battle in 66--51 loss to #1 Baylor

Waiting for Moody to get better. She needs to tighten up the ship. As she goes, we go.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Finally, home at last on a frigid January evening. That northern wind just bit through you as we walked into Hilton tonight for the rematch with #1 Baylor.

Those of you that read my post from Sunday know that I wondered how this team would respond after that nasty game. I can now say that, overall, they responded well. Not well enough, but more on the good later.

This was a game that if you could remove an 11 minute span in the first half, would have been nip and tuck all the way to the finish. Unfortunately, unlike video editors, we can’t choose to remove that particular section of time. I’ll mention it here and then forever leave it behind. The ladies had worked their way out to a 6-6 tie with the Green Bears when the clock struck 17 1/2 minutes to go. From that point until the 6 minute mark, the Sisters wouldn’t score. More than 11 minutes of offensive misery led by turnovers, blocked shots, and ugly offensive ball. It was offensive only in the bad sense. The numbers don’t lie. 13 turnovers in the first half and nearly all landing during that critical time. All of a sudden the 6-6 tie had turned into a 21-6 lead for the Bears and eventually a 31-16 halftime lead. So we know where this game got away. How did it happen? Turnovers. Lots of them. Most attached to Moody. Some high risk passes. Some lazy passes. Some where players didn’t come to the ball. Offensive players standing around. I thought Brynn was the second coming of Kelsey Bolte…just standing in one spot on the 3 point line like someone would actually forget to guard her. Prins getting blocked 3 times by Griner. Pop not finding any openings inside. Shots taken and missed. By the time Hal hit a basket, the Sisters were shooting a whopping 16%.

But you know what? There was lots of good in this game too. The entire game the defensive pressure was sound. A few breakdowns here and there, but it was good effort by the ladies. In the second half, the ladies came out battling. They pushed back. Instead of scoring a measly 16, they hit for 35. Much of the damage came inside with Prins hitting for 17 tonight. She fought with Griner hard. Griner finally went to the bench with about 6 minutes left after getting her 4th foul. She could have been called for about 5-6 more, but the officials never seem to call over the back on her. What was the difference in the halves? Turnovers. Only five in the second. Why? Players were moving, helping out. Moody attacked the basket as did others. We battled for rebounds throughout the game and barely lost the team battle there. If you remember the game in Waco, the Bears outscored ISU something like 50-0 in the paint. Not tonight. Our bigs took it to them. Hal was hustling all over before fouling out (a rare thing) late in the game. Anna was pulling down boards as was Pop. It was an exciting half to watch. The ladies would pull within 14-15 points and each time Baylor had an answer. Yet, I honestly felt the ladies were in this game. A couple of breaks here or there…the biggest we needed was to get rid of the discrepancy in fouls. Until late in the game the Bears seemed immune to the whistles. Now I will admit Pop’s fouls for the most part were stupid. Frustration type fouls. Things a senior shouldn’t do. Some calls on us were borderline ridiculous compared to the muggings occurring when we were on offense. That led to the 24-11 advantage in foul shots by Baylor.

The Players…
    Player of the Game – Anna Prins. She really fought hard tonight. Hit a 3 early, but her damage was done inside. She took on Griner and did a great job tonight. What would you think if before the game I said Griner would only outscore Anna 22-17? I’d take that any day. Anna was physical and I hope she can find a way to bottle a game like this.

Hustle Players? Hal and Pop. Pop is having trouble scoring of late. Some of that is due to the types of teams we are playing, but she just isn’t getting the opportunities right now. She only took 6 shots tonight. But there she was getting steals, pulling down 9 boards and making life miserable for Baylor. I just wish she would stop with the “dumb” fouls. Hal has been player her best ball of the year of late. She was our only offense at OSU and tonight she was everywhere. Getting layups. Hitting a 3. Grabbing rebounds and playing tough D on whoever she was placed on.

Brynn – pretty non-existent in the first half. A stand still player. In the second, she came alive. She was hustling, moving around on offense. Valued the ball. Hit three 3 pointers and pulled down 9 boards. That’s the way I want to see her play.

Moody – this was a mixed bag. In the first half it seemed she was a second behind everyone. She made passes a second too late and those TEN turnovers resulted in a bunch of Baylor points. Too many break away layups resulted. 1-10 shooting from the field. Not pretty. Many would say it had something to do with Sims being on her. I don’t think so. Too many of those first half passes were just poor choices from my viewpoint.

Fallon and Kidd got considerable playing time tonight. Fallon was her usual tough self. She really battled but was outsized. Kidd played 20 minutes and didn’t contribute much other than spelling other players. Tough defense but the offensive side was not there. Hardly got open. Seemed in a bit of a panic at times.

Interesting note – Griner has such a respected presence in the middle that twice Iowa State players failed to take wide open shots seemingly because when they turned to the basket they expected Griner to be there. She wasn’t and we missed on two great opps. Griner also had a two handed dunk in the first half off of one of our turnovers. Even the ISU fans appreciated that!

So, this wasn’t a game that was all bad. We essentially battled Baylor even from the 5 minute mark of the first half through the rest of the game. I don’t think they ever felt, until just a few minutes left, like this game was in the bag. I was impressed with how the ladies came out and fought in the second half. Right now, the two biggest things that have to occur are Pop having fewer fouls and our guard court showing up. There isn’t a better time than this road trip to WVU and KU.

By the way…I mentioned elsewhere that OSU wasn’t a good road team? They lost to a very average KSU tonight in the little Apple. The middle of the Big 12 is getting crowded right now.
    Several of Nikki's TO's in the first half were from the post players not moving to the ball. BF eluded to this on the radio in his post game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 733
    Given: 1,862

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post

The Players…

Hustle Players? Hal and Pop. Pop is having trouble scoring of late. Some of that is due to the types of teams we are playing, but she just isn’t getting the opportunities right now. She only took 6 shots tonight. But there she was getting steals, pulling down 9 boards and making life miserable for Baylor. I just wish she would stop with the “dumb” fouls. Hal has been player her best ball of the year of late. She was our only offense at OSU and tonight she was everywhere. Getting layups. Hitting a 3. Grabbing rebounds and playing tough D on whoever she was placed on.

That disgusted me. Why don't you just put on a Baylor T-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by cyowan View Post

Rulzzz 3:16 says I just liked your post!

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRulzzz View Post
    Well, there was some Baylor gear in the Jr. Cyclone Club section.

And the group of girls in ISU apparel seeking autographs from Baylor players after the game.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyclonesRulzzz View Post
    Can't say that I was one who stood and applauded...but I observed others doing it. Probably just the novelty of seeing a woman do it. I've seen it too many times unfortunately.

Rookie
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 245
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 3

Chris,
    Can you put a count down clock on the women's BB forum main page with a countdown clock on when Griner is gone?

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,128
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Look at the bright side...like I told my wife as we were leaving Hilton...we'll never see her here again. I was also thinking how nice it will be to see Baylor take some serious lumps ext year after graduating most of their talent!

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

The biggest margin says that ISU was beat soundly. The final margin says that ISU was beat. Without much imagination though, ISU could have won this game. If ISU would have played the first half with the guts and gamesmanship it showed in the second half, it's close, real close.

Nice game plan, take the ball to the basket, let Anna go up against Griner, sometimes with help. Great team defense.

The difference? The turnovers in the first half and the intermittent toughness. Toughness needed to be ON from the first whistle. It came and went all game, and when it went, Baylor took advantage. Of course better shooting will always help (see KSU's 16 threes against OSU). But that was not the difference in this game.

Just imagine a game without the stretch of turnovers in the first half... There were something like 4 straight that BU took the length of the floor for sure-thing baskets. These were just plain and simple bad turnovers. Bad offensive strategy to begin with (why is the PG passing from half court to the far wing against a defensive opponent like Baylor in front of their bench -- you don't need to scout that to say thanks for the layup). Bad passing by the PG (look the ball is in her hands, you have choices on when and how to pass). Bad receiving by the posts (step to get the ball and good things happen in your favor). Those "simple" mistakes cost ISU about 12 points with BU points gained and ISU points lost. That's a minimum. That's the halftime difference (not counting the other big mistake to let Sims get off a 3 before half). That's about the difference midway through the second half. In other words, it would have been neck-and-neck in Hilton with Griner on the bench. Wow. Imagine that!

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

I am a big fan of Moody. I think she has the talent to be one of the best PGs in the country with her speed and dish ability. But it is clear, this team goes as she goes.

How many times are we going to see those long wing passes stolen, and those high post turnovers, whether on Moody, Anna, Pop, or Hallie be addressed. To me, this is a pattern. Whether it is Moody, or the coaching, they have been glaring in games we have lost.

All in all, good effort by the team, and I am especially proud of Anna. Many here pick on her, but her contributions per minute have been more valuable than many realize. Would love to have redshirted her last year or year before. Would have been a final four team next year if she was back at the 5.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

It was obvious that we have no where near the talent that Baylor does but at times the game plan early in the game frustrated me. You could tell our plan was to slow the pace down and limit possessions but it was ridiculous how we made it so obvious by having Moody dribble by our bench then finally cross mid-court around 15 seconds left on the shot clock only to either throw the ball away with a careless pass or not get a good shot off. Baylor is quick and athletic enough that with only 15 seconds to run a play if you don't get an open look they are going to get in the passing lanes or contest the shot. We finally got away from that in the 2nd half with some moderate success but by that time we were far enough behind it didn't matter.

I am very pleased with Prins this year. She was very physical with Griner on both ends and didn't back down even after Griner blocked several of her shots but I also think that the refs allow Griner to get away with a lot of dirty play just because she is so freakish in size. Seems like she throws a lot of elbows just to get post position on offense and many times I thought she went over the back of Prins and Poppens to get rebounds. She still is one helluva
    player - possibly the best to ever play the women's game - but still frustrating that even with her huge advantage of size and athletic ability that at times she gets away with some stuff that most players get called for fouls on.

The only consolation in this game is that besides Baylor's only loss of the year to Stanford, we played them closer than anyone has all year and held them to a season low of 66 points but I think even without Griner that team is so talented they still would have beat ISU last night.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

I think the big story in this game is that Moody hasn't become the big game player that she is capable of being yet. I have confidence in her, but at times she doesn't seem to have confidence in herself. I still have yet to watch the game in its entirety. I have been too busy, and was focused on the men's game since I had other things going on that night during the first hour of the women's game. I am really worried about the next game. It should be a tough game.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)