1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 29

Re: Big XII Arenas

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Couldn't take it seriously after that

CHA is a dump built into a pit. Sure, it has more seats. That and free hot dogs will get you 20 extra fans at the Iowa-Campbell game.
    I couldn't either. Anyone that's seen a game at that half-empty bunker the past 10 years knows the atmospheres are not comparable.

I thought I'd check out HN to see if there was a similar thread for Big 10 arenas and didn't find anything, but I did end up reading some of today's thread from the OSU game. If y'all haven't heard, they're "back", which to them apparently means falling to 2-4 in conference play. So I guess CHA won't be as empty as it has been FWIW.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Based on the games I've seen lately I might even put Bramlage above Hilton. That place gets absolutely rocking for big games, plus they put their students in a prime spot.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Based on the games I've seen lately I might even put Bramlage above Hilton. That place gets absolutely rocking for big games, plus they put their students in a prime spot.
    That place is an absolute morgue when KSU is faltering though, and its only been good since Huggins got there. That's why I'd put it at #3.

When its on, its on. No denying that. It just doesn't have 30 years of death-trap that Hilton does, nor does it have any conference champions, like Hilton does.

Don't forget, we're tied with UT for 2nd most Big 12 titles.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 22

While I get the history of Allen Fieldhouse, especially being a throwback kind of guy, I used to go to a lot of games there, and it can be some of the worst seating ever with crappy views and cramped seating, long lines for the bathroom, horrible handicap accessibility and all-in-all has a lot of problems.

While I get the "charm" of that, if you don't have money for decent seats, or aren't a client of someone who does ;), it can actually be a very poor experience, especially if you have seniors or people with limited mobility with you.

Initially, I thought, wow, this is cool, but that wore off after I had some crappy experiences with seating/location/trying to assist elderly parents through the whole process, and obnoxious fans. I wouldn't suggest wearing an opposing team's logo there unless behind the bench....

It was fun seeing ISU beat KU in that gym, a memory that ranks up there with winning the Big 12 Championship in MBB and WBB, but overall I think Allen Fieldhouse is pretty crappy once the "nostalgia" wears off.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    While I get the history of Allen Fieldhouse, especially being a throwback kind of guy, I used to go to a lot of games there, and it can be some of the worst seating ever with crappy views and cramped seating, long lines for the bathroom, horrible handicap accessibility and all-in-all has a lot of problems.

While I get the "charm" of that, if you don't have money for decent seats, or aren't a client of someone who does ;), it can actually be a very poor experience, especially if you have seniors or people with limited mobility with you.

Initially, I thought, wow, this is cool, but that wore off after I had some crappy experiences with seating/location/trying to assist elderly parents through the whole process, and obnoxious fans. I wouldn't suggest wearing an opposing team's logo there unless behind the bench....

It was fun seeing ISU beat KU in that gym, a memory that ranks up there with winning the Big 12 Championship in MBB and WBB, but overall I think Allen Fieldhouse is pretty crappy once the "nostalgia" wears off.
    When was the last time you went? It used to be a dump but they have spent millions on it and plan on spending another 15 mill next year. But you will always have poor seats especially in the corners and you will always be cramped (that's how they get so many in such a small place).

Addict
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by mtowncyclone13 View Post
    You all need to take off your cardinal colored glasses. yes, ISU has a great atmosphere but ask the general public and anything with the word "Iowa" in it will not seem as fun.

James H. Hilton Coliseum Reviews, Iowa State Cyclones | Stadium Journey

These guys have Baylor's chrome-dome better than us.

Take a look at the picture he posts for Hilton. It has to be a non-conference game during the Christmas break. If that was the game he attended, I'm surprised he gave us as high a rating as he did. Must be giving us credit for our reputation from other games.

Legend
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 218
    Given: 437

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Take a look at the picture he posts for Hilton. It has to be a non-conference game during the Christmas break. If that was the game he attended, I'm surprised he gave us as high a rating as he did. Must be giving us credit for our reputation from other games.
    Yeah, there's no student section there. What a dope.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 550
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by trajanJ View Post
    When was the last time you went? It used to be a dump but they have spent millions on it and plan on spending another 15 mill next year. But you will always have poor seats especially in the corners and you will always be cramped (that's how they get so many in such a small place).
    Probably about 6 years ago. Dump would be an accurate description of the experience.

Walk On
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 336
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive View Post
    I couldn't either. Anyone that's seen a game at that half-empty bunker the past 10 years knows the atmospheres are not comparable.

I thought I'd check out HN to see if there was a similar thread for Big 10 arenas and didn't find anything, but I did end up reading some of today's thread from the OSU game. If y'all haven't heard, they're "back", which to them apparently means falling to 2-4 in conference play. So I guess CHA won't be as empty as it has been FWIW.
    I went to Carver for the first time ever this year for the ISU game and for what Hawk fans called a "huge win" and electric atmosphere", it was not even close to being near what Hilton normally is for an average game. It seemed like every time the crowd tried to get loud, the sound escaped right out of the building. All around CHA needs some serious renovations, and I'm not sure that University of Iowa is even considering doing any right now...

Addict
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by exCYtement View Post
    I went to Carver for the first time ever this year for the ISU game and for what Hawk fans called a "huge win" and electric atmosphere", it was not even close to being near what Hilton normally is for an average game. It seemed like every time the crowd tried to get loud, the sound escaped right out of the building. All around CHA needs some serious renovations, and I'm not sure that University of Iowa is even considering doing any right now...
    I felt the same way. All of my Hawk fans were like "Check out this big-time atmosphere," and it didn't even touch Hilton in my book. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the fans - the physical building is not on the same level.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 65

Carver doesn't hold in sound at all. Its wide and all the noise escapes through the top. Hilton is far superior to Carver in every aspect.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 802
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 29

I've been there a few times, most recently in 2008. Lets just say I've been to funerals that were more full of life than those crowds at the time. I wasnt able to go to the TCU game this weekend, but from what it looked like and sounded like on tv, it was a comparable environment to games I've been to in Iowa City in the past 10 years. CHA was probably better but not by much.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Probably about 6 years ago. Dump would be an accurate description of the experience.
    Yes you were there before they spent 43 million. The best time to go back would be next year after they finish another expansion where the original rules will be. When purchasing seats pay a little extra and avoid the corners, some absolutely terrible seats in that area.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 50

In all honesty, I don't think we've had a game in Hilton this year yet where the atmosphere has been any better, mainly because we really haven't had any big games at Hilton yet (I missed Texas, so I can't speak to that one). That said, if that same game would have been played at Hilton the atmosphere would have been significantly better.

Don't get me wrong, Hilton is a way better venue with a way better atmosphere across the board, but to say the atmosphere at Carver for the ISU game was "not even close to being near what Hilton normally is for an average game" just isn't true. Unfortunately for them, that's as good as it gets and it's nowhere near as good as Hilton gets.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 107

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post

Might? Bramlage is amazing. HUGE student section that is awesome.

1 KU
    2 KSU
    3 ISU