Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 241

Re: Monday Musings: How the 06 ISU coaching searched changed the world of sports

At the time of the hiring process, Jim Harbaugh in JP's defense was pretty new to the coaching world. I think I read an article that compared him to Steve Alford of all people, was that on here, I don't remember.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 534
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 21

Re: Monday Musings: How the 06 ISU coaching searched changed the world of sports

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    At the time of the hiring process, Jim Harbaugh in JP's defense was pretty new to the coaching world. I think I read an article that compared him to Steve Alford of all people, was that on here, I don't remember.
    Actually this is very funny looking back. I remember thinking that I didn't like the idea of Harbaugh because of his inexperience and I felt he'd leave at the first chance he got, since I felt his ultimate goal was the pro's. Kind of funny with who we ended up with, I don't think we could have had a coach with less ability to coach, but more potential to leave than I'd have ever imagined.

In the end, I'll stick by my guns. I don't think Harbaugh would have been the fit here, I think we'd have had more wins than Chizik gave us, but I still believe he wouldn't be here now and we'd have lost our opportunity to get Rhoads. And I don't think we could ask for a better fit right now than Rhoads. Of the three I've mentioned, Rhoads, Chizik and Harbaugh, I really believe that Rhoads is the only one who actually cares about the fans of this school. I'm not saying his goal isn't to eventually move on to a bigger job, but I don't think that is his sole purpose. If we don't end up a stepping stone and he is here for a while, I truly believe he will be grateful for that. Chizik and Harbaugh had a sole purpose of moving on. We were mearly a step in a full staircase where they hoped to leave footprint and nothing else.

Starter
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    Actually this is very funny looking back. I remember thinking that I didn't like the idea of Harbaugh because of his inexperience and I felt he'd leave at the first chance he got, since I felt his ultimate goal was the pro's. Kind of funny with who we ended up with, I don't think we could have had a coach with less ability to coach, but more potential to leave than I'd have ever imagined.

In the end, I'll stick by my guns. I don't think Harbaugh would have been the fit here, I think we'd have had more wins than Chizik gave us, but I still believe he wouldn't be here now and we'd have lost our opportunity to get Rhoads. And I don't think we could ask for a better fit right now than Rhoads. Of the three I've mentioned, Rhoads, Chizik and Harbaugh, I really believe that Rhoads is the only one who actually cares about the fans of this school. I'm not saying his goal isn't to eventually move on to a bigger job, but I don't think that is his sole purpose. If we don't end up a stepping stone and he is here for a while, I truly believe he will be grateful for that. Chizik and Harbaugh had a sole purpose of moving on. We were mearly a step in a full staircase where they hoped to leave footprint and nothing else.
    Completely agree with this. Rhoads gives us the best chance for the future, if we had gotten Kelly or Harbaugh, we might have never gotten Rhoads, and thusly had no future

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 125

Still think we need to win more than 6 games very soon.The bowl win in 2009 helped to get to 7 wins.

It may be tough next year so the heat may be on CPR for 2015 or 2016 to meet the success expected.

He is 24-27, winning 3 each year in conference.

Paul Rhoads - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hiring Harbaugh or Kelley may have resulted in a better record, but they would have flown the coop by now.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP
    Iowa State Cyclones (Big 12 Conference) (2009–present)
    2009 Iowa State 7–6 3–5 4th (North) W Insight
    2010 Iowa State 5–7 3–5 T–3rd (North)
    2011 Iowa State 6–7 3–6 8th L Pinstripe
    2012 Iowa State 6–7 3–6 9th L Liberty
    Iowa State: 24–27 12–22
    Total: 24–27
    National championship Conference title Conference division title
    Indicates BCS bowl, Bowl Alliance or Bowl Coalition game. #Rankings from final Coaches' Poll.

Last edited by Wesley; 01-23-2013 at 11:19 AM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post

Hiring Harbaugh or Kelley may have resulted in a better record, but they would have flown the coop by now.
    And if Rhoads had won right off the bat, like some seasons of 9-3 or even 8-4, I guess don't buy the assumptions on this board that he wold have rejected offers from schools with bigger checkbooks and tradition. I just don't.

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 187

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    And if Rhoads had won right off the bat, like some seasons of 9-3 or even 8-4, I guess don't buy the assumptions on this board that he wold have rejected offers from schools with bigger checkbooks and tradition. I just don't.
    Yes, if we are going to rewrite events, it is just as probable that Harbaugh would win, stay longer than Chizik, and we would still likely land CPR (or one of Jim's good assistants). I do not see it as we take success then (with Harbaugh) or success now (with CPR).

Pro
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 66

Here's my help to those who are depressed. We have an AD that was interviewing two NC-conender coaches and two that went on to NFL. (Of course one of them was in both scenarios). What I find rewarding is that JP can sell ketchup popsicles to an eskimo wearing white gloves, and he loves ISU.