Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,047
    Given: 279

Monday Musings: How the 06 ISU coaching searched changed the world of sports

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 82

Re: Monday Musings: How the 06 ISU coaching searched changed the world of sports

Well, that was depressing.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Monday Musings: How the 06 ISU coaching searched changed the world of sports

Keepers of the Faith -- The Unknown

Recruit
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

This is a great set up for a 30 for 30. They can call it "2006 ISU Football Coaching Search: The Most Important Time Period in Football History"

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,101
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 178

Harbaugh's greatly improved teams everywhere he's gone.
    No reason to think he wouldn't have done that at ISU.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 4

It would have been different only IMHO because cheesewhiz and friends wouldn't have decimated our program. I would have liked Kelly, but he was going to move on if he started winning big. We all thought Harbaugh would go to Big Blue after Richrod was fired. I don't always agree with the AD, but I think that was what he was thinking.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 932
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 76

CW, why don't you try to sell the story to ESPN ?

I believe Kelly and Harbaugh would have been able to do well in Ames. They would eventually leave for bigger jobs, but at least they would have improved the program, unlike a guy who ended up hired (and managed to ruin 2 football programs)

Legend
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 822

CW:
    "
    I see that a few people were for some reason concerned with Iowa State’s 63-50 win at TCU on Saturday. Umm….Why?"

CW:

"
    One of those issues is rebounding…You can show me all of the stats that you want about Iowa State’s rebounding numbers but don’t think for a second that those aren’t at least a little bit skewed due to some non-conference laughers. Consider this: Iowa State has given up 33 offensive rebounds in its last two games. If the Cyclones do that against better teams in coming weeks, the Cyclones will lose some basketball games."

2006 was a rough year for coaching hires at ISU.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 01-21-2013 at 10:46 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 156
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Pollard has an eye for talent. Do not want Iowa State on a national documentary choosing the least successful on the 3. Chizik will be lucky to coach defense in the big ten going forward.

Legend
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,178
    Given: 608

I'm sure Hassel could set something up

Category 4 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5

Publisher
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    CW:
    "
    I see that a few people were for some reason concerned with Iowa State’s 63-50 win at TCU on Saturday. Umm….Why?"

CW:

"
    One of those issues is rebounding…You can show me all of the stats that you want about Iowa State’s rebounding numbers but don’t think for a second that those aren’t at least a little bit skewed due to some non-conference laughers. Consider this: Iowa State has given up 33 offensive rebounds in its last two games. If the Cyclones do that against better teams in coming weeks, the Cyclones will lose some basketball games."

That's a broad issue. As far as winning by 13, specifically, at TCU, take it and run with it. Just get out of that game alive. Same goes for Wednesday. Learn from these games while you're still winning. 33 offensive rebounds in two games is a bad stat but it comes with two wins. That's something to be encouraged about while being concerned as well.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 161

Pollard told us at a Rotary Club luncheon last year that he interviewed Harbaugh in 2006, so things must have gotten kinda serious. Harbaugh definitely wanted the job. Jamie said he found the guy to be a little odd, or flaky, as I recall.

Our entire football landscaped would have been changed, had he come here. What Harbaugh did at Stanford, changing them to maybe the most physical team in college football, was just tremendous. And he would have assembled a great staff.
    So even if he had left after a few, one of his top coaches would have picked up where he left off, like what's happening at Stanford now...

Last edited by Tornado man; 01-21-2013 at 11:03 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 474
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 22

I've heard stories about both, probably more folklore or legend...

Supposedly, Harbaugh did a first round interview, in an airport in TX (Dallas or Houston, I forget that part of the "story"...) He walked in, and in a short interview w/ JP and co, used so much profanity, he would have made most sailors blush. Instant turn-off and disqualification.

On Kelly, I heard that he had an offer with an expiration of that Sunday night. He was holding out for the Michigan State job (that eventually went to Dantonio, who Kelly replaced at Cincinnati.) We moved on and hired Chizick, and Kelly has been a little bitter ever since - remember his comments to the media to the effect of, "Why would Texas want to ever go play in Ames, IA?"

Not that either of those probably have much truth... True story though: at the Kansas game in '06, my mom left our seats mid-2nd quarter to get a snack and walk around a bit. That was a very winnable game, Kanas was BAD, and we were stinking it up... Anyway, she came back after half and told us she had had an interesting conversation with a man, who told her that our new coach was currently the "defense coach at Texas" (Mom's words.) We kind of laughed it off, DMAC hadn't "resigned" quite yet, seemed like a stretch at the time... Either my mom met someone who was connected or "in the know", or she met some crackpot who happened to get lucky.

2012 Big 12 Elimination Competition Champion

"
    No. Instead, there's a pole. Requires no decoration. I find tinsel distracting."

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Pollard told us at a Rotary Club luncheon last year that he interviewed Harbaugh in 2006, so things must have gotten kinda serious. Harbaugh definitely wanted the job. Jamie said he found the guy to be a little odd, or flaky, as I recall.
    Yeah Harbaugh was absolutely interested at the very least. Again though, a lot of times these agents make their guys seem more interested in jobs than they really are for leverage to get another job. That's not to say that Jim wouldn't have taken the job - just pointing out that it isn't always as cut and dry as it appears to the naked eye.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 932
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 76

Quote Originally Posted by justcynn View Post
    Pollard has an eye for talent. Do not want Iowa State on a national documentary choosing the least successful on the 3. Chizik will be lucky to coach defense in the big ten going forward.
    I don't think it'll reflect badly on Iowa State. It will just show that in a lot of cases, interviews could work favorably and unfavorably for different people. What I find during interviews is the need to have "connected" feelings between interviewer and interviewee and there are other factors affecting this. Chizik apparently had better connection with JP.

IIRC, Kelly wasn't really into ISU: he was waiting for Cincy jobs and we were his 2nd choice. On the other hand, Chizik was ready to be entrenced in Ames.