Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 149

Twister Sister Summary - OSU takes ISU to the wood shed

The brief summary? We got butt whooped. Final - OSU 71 ISU 42

The game was very sparsely attended. For a top 25 team in the big 12 it was almost embarrassing how few people were there.

The ladies took off and got out to a relatively quick 10-4 lead. Young got in early foul trouble and went to the bench. You would think this would be a good thing for State and pounding the middle would be easy pickings. Wrong.

The ladies didn’t take care of the ball well at all in the first 8 minutes of the half. They seemed out of control at times. Not playing their game. It was one shot and done every time the Clones had the ball.

The game plan was obviously to go inside. OSU did a good job of defending and forcing errors. State went 7 straight possessions at one point without a score. It allowed OSU to pull within 1 at 10-9 after a controversial over and back no call.

OSU kept hitting wide open 3’s as the Sister’s defense failed to adjust at times to the screens. OSU would hit 3’s on three straight possessions to take an 18-15 lead.

Hal looked like she was in slow motion much of the time on defense. State was playing a 3-2 zone and she seemed a step slow to adjust. OSU would go on a 16-5 run. Their (OSU’s) passing was crisp and it helped them to consistently beat the zone.

The game was going at a frenetic pace that was being dictated by OSU. They were running and didn’t use much time to get a shot off. They were also out-rebounding our ladies. It was a major struggle for about a 8 minute period as we threw up air balls and bricks. As soon as OSU would get a rebound they were running and we weren’t keeping up.

No one was moving on offense. Lots of standing and too many rushed shots at the end of the shot clock. Even when the ladies got a stop on defense the offense couldn’t execute. Nine minutes with only 2 baskets. Zero offensive boards. Ugh.

OSU’s run would extend to 19-6 by the 4 minute mark and lead 27-16. Time and time again State was one and done. It was the story of the first half. How about this one…zero assists for Moody. She started to get impatient and two straight possessions at the end of the half she threw up and early 3 point brick and turned it over. OSU turned both into points. This was not Twister Sister ball at all.

At the half it would be OSU leading 31- 21. They did all this damage after their leading scorer, Young, went to the bench. The only highlight was perhaps the last play of the half with Hal taking a shot, missing, getting the board, scoring and hitting the harm. Not to keep rubbing it in, but OSU outscored ISU 20-6 to finish the half.

The second half started off even worse. OSU would start the half on a 20-0 run and Moody would find her way to the bench. Trying to hold my gag reflex in place I tried watching the details of the game. The bottom line was this…OSU was much, much quicker than we were. They frustrated our ladies on defense. They outpositioned them for rebounds. It never hurt that even when contested, OSU was hitting shot after shot. If you looked at gametracker ISU looked like a hospital patient that had flat lined. Even when the offense moved the ball, players couldn’t hit wide open shots inside or out. How bad was it? At the 10 minute mark ISU was shooting 6% from the field. I’ve NEVER seen anything this bad.

Player notes:
    Pop – continues to have foul troubles. These aren’t being picked up on her patented flops, but rather hand to hand stuff. She struggled again in this game. Not much scoring. Not many rebounds. A game to forget. Never stopped fighting.

Prins – Much like Pop. Only she started well and after the first five minutes she disappeared.

Moody – perhaps the worst game of the year. This was highly contributed to by the defense of OSU. They frustrated her and ISU players didn’t help with missed shots or lack of movement. She had 3 times as many turnovers as she did assists. .

Hal – the only scoring threat and that’s not saying much. She actually moved better in the second half, but not much could help. She was the only one who could find the hoop.

Team – no one helped. This was a complete team melt down.

Well, many of us talked about the Baylor game being one to forget and move forward. You kind of expected that kind of loss. This is something else altogether. This is the type of beat down by a beatable team that could break you. To make matters worse the team has to follow this up with a visit by that Baylor team. Scares me just a bit to think of the damage this might or might not do to the team psyche. Especially when that gets followed up with two very tough road games at WVU and Kansas. Gut check time.

Last edited by acoustimac; 01-20-2013 at 03:03 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 149

Re: Twister Sister Summary - OSU takes ISU to the wood shed

An additional note and mentioned in another thread. Heard Coach Fen talk about this as well. OSU put their starters back i the game with 3 minutes left when our bench was cleared. Even our radio folks commented how that wouldn't endear him to other Big 12 coaches. Coach Fen's response? They were beating us up and enjoying it. Our players should be upset by it. He's right. It was classless and I'm sure the team and home crowd will remember it.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 6

The way the game went, it looked like no one at ISU had watched any OSU game film. Totally unprepared. Prins and Poppens just looked lost out there.

When your offense comes down to either of those two taking a three-point shot, you are not going to win many games. Prins is now 8 of 49 on the year from 3 point range and Pop is 2 of 10. No, those shots did not lose the game today, but to me it just looks silly that those are even considered an option for those two players.

Maybe the concussion is still hurting Pop a lot more than we are led to believe. She just has not been the same player since, imo. Yeah, she has had one of two games, but not the consistency we have seen in the past. I don't know what to say about Prins any more. When a 6 7 player misses the easy bunnies she does, there is not a lot that can be said.

This team will probably make the NCAA, but at this point, I don't see them doing much when they get there.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

Very disappointing effort. Where is the leadership on the court?

Starter
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 21

I don't know why they have Poppins playing at the the top of the key so much. You can see she was frustrated and by the time she worked to get open underneath the shot clock was winding down. I didn't like our offensive play calling this time.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 58

The coach shouldn't lay this one all on the player's feet. I like it when I hear the coach take some of the blame, like saying my game plan wasn't what it needed to be, or I didn't get the girls prepared. I am not saying it is his fault, I am just saying he should be willing to accept some blame. I hope the girls put it together. I think they are a much better team than this.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 527
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 99

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    An additional note and mentioned in another thread. Heard Coach Fen talk about this as well. OSU put their starters back i the game with 3 minutes left when our bench was cleared. Even our radio folks commented how that wouldn't endear him to other Big 12 coaches. Coach Fen's response? They were beating us up and enjoying it. Our players should be upset by it. He's right. It was classless and I'm sure the team and home crowd will remember it.
    The late Coach Budtke was a classy person - I remember reading the news about him and his team stopping by Applebee's when Coach Fen was having his weekly radio show and ended up joining Coach Fen on the show.
    Too bad if Jim Littell behaved this way. Big 12 WBB coaches are different in a sense of they have high respect towards each other.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    Very disappointing effort. Where is the leadership on the court?

there is none....zilch outside of Pop.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    The late Coach Budtke was a classy person - I remember reading the news about him and his team stopping by Applebee's when Coach Fen was having his weekly radio show and ended up joining Coach Fen on the show.
    Too bad if Jim Littell behaved this way. Big 12 WBB coaches are different in a sense of they have high respect towards each other.
    Amy Stephens did this to us in 03-04 - they pounded us and she had starters in the entire game. The following year, we beat them by 29.

For some reason, the past few years, we go to Stillwater and just play terrible. I guess the good thing is we get OSU on Senior Night in Ames.

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    Amy Stephens did this to us in 03-04 - they pounded us and she had starters in the entire game. The following year, we beat them by 29.
    Sylvia Hatchell did something similar in 2000. Put her starters back in, down ~20 with a few minutes left, and slapped a full-court press on the ISU bench players. Bill promptly put his starters back in, and ISU won by 12.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 77

I remember that happening as I was at that game

U of OWA ... HOME OF THE FERENTZ "LOW RENT" GRADUATES OF THE SCHOOL OF MORAL TURPITUDE ....THE LEADING UNIVERSITY of SELECTIVE ETHICS......PROUD TO BE ETHICS-FREE, INTEGRITY-FREE .
    NO INTEGRITY, NO "I" IN OWA
    CAN YOU TELL I LOVE THE U OF OWA

Pro
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 2

Bill was definately glaring down at the osu coach once he put his two stars back in.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,233
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 890
    Given: 751

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Sylvia Hatchell did something similar in 2000. Put her starters back in, down ~20 with a few minutes left, and slapped a full-court press on the ISU bench players. Bill promptly put his starters back in, and ISU won by 12.
    Thanks, that was the one I was thinking of with the fullcourt press nonsense but couldn't remember the exact game.