Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 83

Re: Royce White featured on next week's HBO Real Sports

How does a coach build a game plan around not knowing whether he's available from game to game? At least with a toe, or finger, (or whatever example he used) the coach knows that the toe was hurt ahead of time and can plan. And you know a toe is going to heal. There's no indication that Royce will every heal. So, yes Royce, it is quite different than a physical injury.

Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 414
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cy4prez7 View Post
    Here is a preview of the interview.

Good to see his anxiety didn't get in the way of shaving his beard.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 452

I haven't really followed this. Can anyone tell me has he indicated that there were any problems leading up to this? Why is he adamant that there be a third party deciding if he should practice or play? It seems to me he should be trying it out and if there are conflicts then maybe he kills his NBA caree...I mean...he sits out until they can agree on a "protocol".

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Walk On
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    I haven't really followed this. Can anyone tell me has he indicated that there were any problems leading up to this? Why is he adamant that there be a third party deciding if he should practice or play? It seems to me he should be trying it out and if there are conflicts then maybe he kills his NBA caree...I mean...he sits out until they can agree on a "protocol".
    In other videos/articles I've seen he says he doesn't feel a GM of a team should be the final call on medical issues.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I watched Royce on Outside The Lines. It was about a seven min. feature and only about 2 min. with Royce being interviewed. Nothing really new. He said travel was not a problem and going to the d-league was not a problem. He said he wants a protocol in place with the Rockets and the d-league, again no idea what the protocol is. They interviewed a guy from draft express and he said if the Rockets hadn't drafted him in the first round he thought Royce would have slipped to the 2nd round because of his anxiety condition. He, as many here have said, doesn't think Royce is furthering his cause. The reporter who interviewed Royce asked him if he thought there was a chance the Rockets would get fed up and just release him and Royce responded he didn't see that happening. Royce did say that the problem going forward was that the Rockets were not willing to get educated but there was no follow up question to that. I hope I passed the information correctly, if not let me know. Again it was the same vague responses. I will say that Royce knows how to talk to the media. His responses were quick but didn't really say anything that will give any new insight. I will say he appears to be intelligent and articulate. It was the first time I've heard him speak at any length.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't get HBO so I hope somebody will fill me in when his interview is done tonight. I don't know if it's Bryant Gumbel or Bob Costas that does the interview but I would expect them to have follow up questions. I think both of them are probably better interviewers than Colleen Domingues (sp).

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 196

I've posted it before, but I think the only solution is for Royce to recognize (or get a formal agreement) with the Rockets whereby mental illness decisions are made by a professional certified to make those decisions. If you were to take the comparison to the orthopedist, you wouldn't let a general family doctor make treatment decisions regarding something that only a certified orthopedist should decide. Yet, he seems to be asking for his family doctor to make decisions regarding mental health.

Frankly, I think such a protocol may already exist. Royce isn't asking to get something in writing from the Rockets to guarantee that decisions about broken toes will only be made by an orthopedist of his choosing (or his family doctor). He is trusting them to rely on protocol so that they will only use an orthopedist who will use standard medical judgment. Seems like he could make this assumption about a mental illness doctor also. Does he really think that the general manager (or some quack doctor) is going to make a crazy decision about forcing him to play? If anything, they would be ultra-cautious these days.

What I would really like to hear from Royce is his commitment to following the treatment plan of a qualified mental health professional of the Rocket's choice. He seems to trust them to do it with his broken toe. It all comes down to trust. Royce trusted FH to rely on the right doctors at the right times, including his mental health professionals, even though it doesn't seem to have been much of an issue in actuality. The only accommodation that I'm aware of was his driving to the March Madness games. But there was trust. Apart from trust, he doesn't think he can do anything but get something in writing. I just wish that he was more clear that what he wants is standard mental health treatment. As long as he is holding out for his family doctor (who doubtfully has the specialty needed for this), he is not going to get anywhere in terms of advocacy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by JWIL4CY View Post
    Unbelievable. I wish my work had a doctor that determined if I was OK to work each day too.
    If you want to put your job/career on the line to try and get it, go for it. The man is standing up for what he believes is fair and right. He is the one risking it all to change the mentality of the NBA and hopefully the greater population of people who thinks what he is doing is wrong.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 100

Quote Originally Posted by ameshammer View Post
    Royce is clearly struggling with his mental condition, just look at that sweater.
    LMAO ! Yea Royce is a good guy and full of allot of confusion. I hope he gets what he needs and can play some NBA hoops. I see allot of the problem won't just be the doctor determining if he can play a 7:30 ball game at 2 PM but figuring out the right medication that won't make him lethargic, light headed, all of which could screw up his timing, coordination and stability. I would guess that there might possibly be another diagnosis to go along with Royce besides the anxiety that hasn't been brought up or determined yet, such as depression, manic issues or possibly PTSD if he has gone through any trauma growing up.

Side effects of anti-anxiety drugs

Last edited by Amesboy; 01-22-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Yeah. I believe a lot of his anxiety is traced back to when he was young and he was running wind sprints at the end of practice, his best friend was right next to him. Then at one point he noticed his friend wasn't running nxt to him, looked back and his buddy had some sort of heart attack (or some disorder) laying on the floor unconcious. That could definitely be a cause to some sort of PTSD.

I applaud Royce for being true to his beliefs and feelings. Do I agree with the way he's handled the situation, especially the twitter madness, no. But I do think ppl are being too hard on him. Think back to when you were graduating college. Did you know for sure the job ur were about to take was the one you new you were ready for, the one you wanted to spend your entire career doing? I doubt it, and the majority of people don't retire doing what they graduated doing. Now, consider thinking about all of those things with an anxiety disorder. Coupled with OCD, so you would over think all of those things and much, much more.

I think he's lucky to be with an organization that has stuck with him as long as they have. From a business standpoint I would have probably let him go by now. It's time for him to start making positive strides, prolly should have stayed at ISU another year. However, I appreciate everything he did for our university, community, and myself personally. I hope him nothing but the best and that he figures out a way to make it work in what ever career makes him happy.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Gordyo5 View Post
    If you want to put your job/career on the line to try and get it, go for it. The man is standing up for what he believes is fair and right. He is the one risking it all to change the mentality of the NBA and hopefully the greater population of people who thinks what he is doing is wrong.
    The problem is he shouldn't have signed that contract if he cared about what is fair and right. He signed it knowing fully well that he had a dispute with the collective bargaining agreement. That's not the Houston Rockets' fault, that's Royce White's fault.

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 196

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    The problem is he shouldn't have signed that contract if he cared about what is fair and right. He signed it knowing fully well that he had a dispute with the collective bargaining agreement. That's not the Houston Rockets' fault, that's Royce White's fault.
    I think he got surprised by how "untrusting" the NBA business is, especially compared to how he was handled in Ames by FH. Once trust got broken, Royce couldn't/wouldn't continue. Makes FH look even more like a genius.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 982
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    I think he got surprised by how "untrusting" the NBA business is, especially compared to how he was handled in Ames by FH. Once trust got broken, Royce couldn't/wouldn't continue. Makes FH look even more like a genius.
    This...I think with his ocd he needs to know he has an escape. Not that he would use it but needs to know it's there. He needs certainty more than protocol, there was a process just one that he didnt trust or control. The thought of being in situation and all this that he cannot control has got to be paralyzing and probably freaked him out. They need to ease him back, ask that he go silent while they work through this and have someone in the org, whoever, earn his trust and assure him he wont be put in a situation he cant handle. After 2 years if it happens a lot and he cant be counted on they cut him if not and he is worth it
    Great re-sign him...maybe it wont work and the nba isnt right for him but he is a smart guy he will be fine. Not every job would be this hard for him. For everyone bashing him, **** off its not just about going to work its about making sure he can go to work. So far he hasnt been able to and maybe he wont but don't act like you get what he is going through. Courage is doing what you think is right even if it means you could lose everything. Doesnt matter if he is right he believes it and that i admire.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,546
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 10

I was a huge RW fan, but i'm tired of it...........he has made his point, the Rockets are NOT budging. Now he needs to quit or go play. Royce, guess what the NBA will go on without you, the NBA survived when Jordan, Bird and Magic retired - they are not going to lose any ratings over you not showing up.

He would have done more for the disease if he would have showed up and did something special on the court, but in about 20 minutes NO one outside of Ames or Houston is going to remember who you are or what you stood for.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The thing that bugs me is that he's obviously still cashing the rockets' checks. If he wants to pull this crap he shouldn't keep giving them the power of writing his paychecks. You can't have it both ways Royce