Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 41

Lucious' shot clock management

As I rewatched the end of the West Virginia game, I noticed that even though WVU came back from an 18 point deficit in the final 9 minutes (they scored 29 points in that span), our offensive effort was not terrible, with a notable exception:

The possession that had me most worried was our second to last, when we led 67-64 with just under a minute to play. We spent a lot of time in the backcourt, called a timeout, and then wasted almost the entire shot clock until the ball was deflected out of bounds with one second left. We inbounded the ball and had to throw up a prayer, which unlike the Mountaineers' prayers, went unanswered and did not even draw iron, causing a turnover.

The reason I bring this up is because I feel that Lucious has a tendency to wait too long to develop a play, especially at the end of a half. Most of the time he ends up taking a shot himself, whether he's open or not. This is something we can improve on.

Does anybody else see this?

To be fair, Lucious made a nice shot at the end of the first half to put us up 29-26, but this seems like the exception and not the rule. And I will say that Lucious has shown much better decision-making and ball-handling in the past few weeks compared to the beginning of the season.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 558
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 18

Re: Lucious' shot clock management

There's a reason Clyburn had the ball in the final possession, and not Lucious.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 269
    Given: 406

Quote Originally Posted by andymhallman View Post
    As I rewatched the end of the West Virginia game, I noticed that even though WVU came back from an 18 point deficit in the final 9 minutes (they scored 29 points in that span), our offensive effort was not terrible, with a notable exception:

The possession that had me most worried was our second to last, when we led 67-64 with just under a minute to play. We spent a lot of time in the backcourt, called a timeout, and then wasted almost the entire shot clock until the ball was deflected out of bounds with one second left. We inbounded the ball and had to throw up a prayer, which unlike the Mountaineers' prayers, went unanswered and did not even draw iron, causing a turnover.

The reason I bring this up is because I feel that Lucious has a tendency to wait too long to develop a play, especially at the end of a half. Most of the time he ends up taking a shot himself, whether he's open or not. This is something we can improve on.

To be fair, Lucious made a nice shot at the end of the first half to put us up 29-26, but this seems like the exception and not the rule. And I will say that Lucious has shown much better decision-making and ball-handling in the past few weeks compared to the beginning of the season.
    So he held the ball a little too long on one play. Lets get the pitchforks.

He also scored 4 of our last 6 points IIRC, and I thought showed a lot of leadership at the end of the game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,484
    Given: 1,265

Quote Originally Posted by benjay View Post
    There's a reason Clyburn had the ball in the final possession, and not Lucious.
    He's a foot taller?

That's pretty much where Fred went with it.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    He's a foot taller?

Sorry, I have not had a chance to listen to the postgame. I assumed when it happened that Freddy wanted to give Clyburn the ball because of the botched attempt by Lucious.

eh.. still do think that.

Starter
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,278
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 19

That possession was not a successful one, but there were hundreds of events that conspired together to put us in a tie game with 12 seconds remaining. KL is a big reason we're 2-1 with a narrow loss on the road to KU. Not gonna jump on his case.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psychlone99 View Post
    That possession was not a successful one, but there were hundreds of events that conspired together to put us in a tie game with 12 seconds remaining. KL is a big reason we're 2-1 with a narrow loss on the road to KU. Not gonna jump on his case.
    Yeah absolutely. I wasn't trying to pile on, Lucious has been excellent in Big 12 play.

Legend
    Overall activity: 70.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 1,206

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    He's a foot taller?

Yeah, and they had a 6-1 guy guarding him most of the game.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

Fred said in his presser the play was designed for Will because he was being guarded by a guy who was 6-1, and they assumed WV would double team him leaving someone open. If you watch the highlights, Tyrus and is behind Will waiting for a pass and Korie was in the corner by the bench for a shot. It had nothing to do with Korie's clock management.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    Fred said in his presser the play was designed for Will because he was being guarded by a guy who was 6-1, and they assumed WV would double team him leaving someone open. If you watch the highlights, Tyrus and is behind Will waiting for a pass and Korie was in the corner by the bench for a shot. It had nothing to do with Korie's clock management.
    I think you're talking about the last play where Niang scores and I'm talking about the second to last play.

And I'm not just complaining about this one play. I think this happened often during the non-conference schedule.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,607
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 0

Did you watch the possession at the end of the first half?

A lot of fans usually seem to want the ball handler to start attacking with 10ish seconds remaining. In a half court setting going with 5 or 6 seconds is plenty of time.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 19

You generally want these two things to go together. It was unfortunate to not come away with points, but using the entire shot clock is a goal when leading with under a minute to play.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 176

To be fair, Lucious made a nice shot at the end of the first half to put us up 29-26, but this seems like the exception and not the rule. .
    Anyone think Ejim doesn't get enough rebounds? To be fair he had 13, but there was an important play where he didn't get it so he sucks like this thread.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by A-town Cy View Post
    Anyone think Ejim doesn't get enough rebounds? To be fair he had 13, but there was an important play where he didn't get it so he sucks like this thread.
    Ejim is so bad that Fred benched him that last part of the game.....

I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 800
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 217

Lucious gets a ridiculous amount of criticism from ISU fans. He's been exactly what the Clones needed: a good point guard.