View Poll Results: Should BBall players have to wait a year (+) to enter the draft?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, they should be able to jump straight to the NBA

22 30.14%
  • Yes, 1 year minimum

8 10.96%
  • Yes, 2 years minimum

21 28.77%
  • Yes, 3 years minimum

20 27.40%
  • Yes, 4 years minimum

2 2.74%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 34

Re: Should BBall players have to wait a year to enter the NBA draft?

Quote Originally Posted by tre View Post
    So, why don't we just force kids to go to college for all four years? They'd be way, way better than they are after just one year in college.

Just think how great the NBA would be if every player in the draft had four years under his belt at the college level.
    Not really, the ROI to the NBA of a player going to college and being marketed to fans through college basketball is much greater in that first year than any other year. Think about it, Carmelo as a high schooler was unknown to most people who weren't diehard basketball fans, after one year at Syracuse he was a household name for most sports fans. He's already a known commodity coming into the league, him spending another year in college isn't going to benefit the NBA much. I would expect the NBA to push to make it two years in the next CBA but I don't think they would want to make it three years like the NFL requires.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by CyJack13 View Post
    No, you're missing the point. This has nothing to do with the NCCA, it's an NBA rule and serves a very good purpose. It's not a right for anyone to play in the NBA, they can set an age limit, like the NFL and many other sports leagues do. It's all about improving the NBA product and there really is no argument to be made that the one and done rule is not beneficial for the league.
    I could declare for the NBA draft, it doesn't mean they are going to draft me and 'harm' their overall product.

Walk On
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 484
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Not really, the ROI to the NBA of a player going to college and being marketed to fans through college basketball is much greater in that first year than any other year. Think about it, Carmelo as a high schooler was unknown to most people who weren't diehard basketball fans, after one year at Syracuse he was a household name for most sports fans. He's already a known commodity coming into the league, him spending another year in college isn't going to benefit the NBA much. I would expect the NBA to push to make it two years in the next CBA but I don't think they would want to make it three years like the NFL requires.
    I counter with Dwyane Wade. D-Wade was on nobody's radar until his senior year, & more specifically his run in the NCAA tournament that year.

In the end I just think it's stupid for the NBA to tell a kid he can't make a decision to go pro & make money.

What's wrong with telling them you're allowed to go from HS to the NBA, or you wait 2/3 years before entering the draft?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I counter with Dwyane Wade. D-Wade was on nobody's radar until his senior year, & more specifically his run in the NCAA tournament that year.

In the end I just think it's stupid for the NBA to tell a kid he can't make a decision to go pro & make money.

What's wrong with telling them you're allowed to go from HS to the NBA, or you wait 2/3 years before entering the draft?
    The NBA doesn't say this, you can play in the NBDL or Europe right out of high school or even earlier than that. You just can't play in the NBA. I don't see what's hard for people to understand about this. The NBA is just doing what is best for itself, and it's really hard to make an argument that the one and done rule hasn't benefited the NBA.

And Wade wasn't a one and done type, so I don't see how he factors into this?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I assume most of the people against the one and done rule, prefer watching college basketball to the NBA, in which case I can see your point. You'd rather have established college stars and miss seeing a few elite guys each year than seeing a bunch of players leave after one year. But I think most people who like the NBA more would much rather have the current rule than see players drafted right out of high school again.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The NBA doesn't say this, you can play in the NBDL or Europe right out of high school or even earlier than that. You just can't play in the NBA. I don't see what's hard for people to understand about this. The NBA is just doing what is best for itself, and it's really hard to make an argument that the one and done rule hasn't benefited the NBA.

And Wade wasn't a one and done type, so I don't see how he factors into this?
    I brought up Wade because you told me how players (Carmelo Anthony) are most marketable after their first year of college. If kids went to school for four years how many more D-Wades would there be?

Also, has forcing players to be one year removed from HS produced better players being drafted in the NBA? Seems to me that most of the one & done players end up getting drafted, doing very little in the league, & ultimately being sent to the D League.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 122

The NBA has an image problem because many people perceive it as a league of immature thugs. Maybe the NBA could help this by having the players committed to college for awhile so they have a chance to grow up before they are all suddenly millionaire superstars.

Cy has balls of steel.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I brought up Wade because you told me how players (Carmelo Anthony) are most marketable after their first year of college. If kids went to school for four years how many more D-Wades would there be?

Also, has forcing players to be one year removed from HS produced better players being drafted in the NBA? Seems to me that most of the one & done players end up getting drafted, doing very little in the league, & ultimately being sent to the D League.
    We were talking about kids who would normally go pro out of high school, Wade was not that kind of prospect out of high school.

And I'm pretty confident the success rate for one and done players sticking in the league is probably much greater than that of the average NBA draft pick.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

We were talking about kids who would normally go pro out of high school, Wade was not that kind of prospect out of high school.

And I'm pretty confident the success rate for one and done players sticking in the league is probably much greater than that of the average NBA draft pick.
    You saying one & done players end up having longer NBA careers than players who make it to the NBA after 2, 3, or 4 years of college?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You saying one & done players end up having longer NBA careers than players who make it to the NBA after 2, 3, or 4 years of college?
    That's what I would expect. Look at the lottery the last few years, it's dominated by one and done guys. Three of the top five picks each of the last two years have been freshman, I would certainly expect guys drafted higher to, on average, have more succesful NBA careers than later picks.

Looking through the drafts since '06, there's no question that, on average, one and done guys have been much more successful than players who come out later.

Last edited by CyJack13; 01-17-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Walk On
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=CyJack13;3258086]That's what I would expect. Look at the lottery the last few years, it's dominated by one and done guys. Three of the top five picks each of the last two years have been freshman, I would certainly expect guys drafted higher to, on average, have more succesful NBA careers than later picks.QUOTE]

Good point, hadn't ever really thought about that.

I still think they should be able to enter the draft & get into the NBA right out of HS if they're good enough to make it, or be three years removed from HS.

Agree to disagree?

P.S. Thanks for helping me fill the most boring part of my day at work.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

[QUOTE=tre;3258107]
    That's what I would expect. Look at the lottery the last few years, it's dominated by one and done guys. Three of the top five picks each of the last two years have been freshman, I would certainly expect guys drafted higher to, on average, have more succesful NBA careers than later picks.QUOTE]

Good point, hadn't ever really thought about that.

I still think they should be able to enter the draft & get into the NBA right out of HS if they're good enough to make it, or be three years removed from HS.

Agree to disagree?

P.S. Thanks for helping me fill the most boring part of my day at work.
    I still say a 2 and done rule is the best way to go, but it's a deal. My day's about done too.

Rookie
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

I don't really like the idea of the age limit, but according to this article

"a conspiracy between a union and league permits a league to do what it could not by itself ó but thatís the legal standing as reconfirmed in the Maurice Clarett case"

Minimum Age for the NBA | The Sports Economist

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 752

Not that it really matters with your point, but I am pretty sure he was a junior when he left Marquette.

Starter
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 579
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 143

If a high school baseball player gets drafted and he decides to sign he'll probably play single A or double AA for a year or two or longer and most don't even make it the the Big leagues. Why don't people care if baseball players go to college or not. The NBA could make all NBA rookies play one year in the D-League. It's $ talking as well when you see the impact Anthony Davis has had on the New Orleans Hornets - One year out of college. The NBA isn't going to make an Anthony Davis go play for the Tulsa 66ers when he could help sell out NBA arenas. It has to be an across the board rule. Won't happen.

Last edited by Amesboy; 01-18-2013 at 09:30 AM.