Twister Sister Summary - Sisters demolish #14/16 OU!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,002
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 147

Twister Sister Summary - Sisters demolish #14/16 OU!

This may have been one of the best overall games the Sisters have played, not only this year, but in the past few years. Was it perfect? No. Yet, this was team ball to the nth degree. It resulted in an incredible win 82-61 over the 14th/16th ranked Sooners.

I’ll get this piece out of the way right now – the officiating was atrocious and it was equally atrocious to both teams. The first half consisted of no-calls and the second was a battle to regain control of the game. Disappointing to say the least.

This was a game that was full of defense early on. Lots of missed shots, turnovers, and rebounding. After nearly 7 minutes the Sisters held a slim 6-0 lead that quickly evaporated to a 6-6 tie. But from there on out our ladies would do just enough, fend off Sooner runs, and maintain a lead throughout the remainder of the game. Many of the Sooner runs came from either inopportune turnovers or defensive breakdowns that allowed sharpshooters like Hook or Ellenberger to break free for an uncontested three point shot. The rest of the first half would see Iowa State extend its lead to as many as 9 points only to see OU hit just enough shots to keep it close. It was incredibly physical with the officials allowing both teams to push, shove, and beat on each other. Yet two things would keep Iowa State out in front – tenacious defense and rebounding. It was clear that between Brynn, Hal and Nikki, OU’s perimeter scorers were frustrated. Their vaunted 3 point shooting was keeping them in the game, but the ladies did a great job of tempering its effectiveness. Offensively, the first half would be the Hal and Kidd show. Kidd would be draining 3 point shots while Hal, playing what I feel was her best game as a Cyclone, scored from everywhere with what I call “hard work” shots. State would lead at the half 34-28.

To say I was nervous going into the second half would be an understatement. OU had outscored its opponents by an average of over 9 points in the second half this season. What would we see happen? Two things. First, the officials found their whistles and went nuts and our ladies played incredible team ball scoring with great frequency and playing lockdown defense.

The half started with ISU going on a 13-4 run led by Hal and Kidd. The lead was 15 and the ladies in red never looked back. What was a concern was that the officials blew so many fouls on the Cyclones that Pop went to the bench and OU was getting free throws. For those of you that read my preview to this game I mentioned OU’s very average free throw shooting. Not tonight. They ended up hitting 14 of 15 attempts. That allowed the Sooners to keep within 9 points, but Hal would erupt again to quickly extend the lead to 16.

It was about this time that Coach Fennelly referred to the influence of the crowd. OU was getting back into the game and the girls looked tired. The crowd got as loud as I’ve heard in quite some time…especially loud for a group of about 7 thousand at best. It energized the team and what we saw was outstanding. Moody began to slice and dice the defense and this usually resulted in either her getting fouled (she hit 13 of 14 free throws) or her dishing some absolutely amazing assists. She saw people all over the court and this usually resulted in points. The Big 12’s leading assist machine ended up with 13 assists to only 5 turnovers. The ladies would keep pushing, keep scoring, keep frustrating OU on their way to a big 82-61 win. Free throws were definitely a huge thing for our ladies as they followed Coach Fennelly’s philosophy to a “T.” Make more free throws than the other team attempts. Well done!

Its hard to name a player of the game. I have to go with Hal as she was all over the court. She hit 3 point shots. She had follow up shots. She had rebounds. What I liked best was her guarding the inbounds pass. She tipped two of them that resulted in OU turnovers. 24 points, 8 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals and 0 turnovers is a great night. I bet she is sleeping soundly tonight!

In a close second was the team defense. The ladies clearly frustrated the Sooners holding them 14 points under their team average. We outrebounded OU by 20 (47-27) with 35 of those being on the defensive end. It was a rare occurrence when OU had a second chance shot. It was fun to watch.

Nikki Moody – she was the floor general. She didn’t let full court pressure rattle her. She sliced the OU defense and her passing overall was superb. There were several assists that just left you with a big grin on your face. She did the prototypical guard thing and sealed this game at the line. She was cool as ice. 13 assists is an amazing stat. Then you add on 20 points. Wow.

Kidd – when ISU needed a shot in the arm the Kidd provided it. She hit 60% from 3 point land and provided 17 points and 8 boards. She really seemed fearless out there. Reminds me of how Pop rebounds. When she grabs one you aren’t getting it away from her.

The bigs – not a great game for Pop and Anna Prins. Anna had several horrible passes that resulted in turnovers. Out of the team 17, these two had ten of them. Scoring came hard with 8 and 6 points respectively. But those points always seemed to be a critical times. Pop had foul trouble again and eventually would foul out of the game.

Brynn – a rebounding monster and defensive stopper. 10 powerful boards. Frustrated Ellenberger most of the night. Not a great offensive night for her, but it appeared OU was ensuring she didn’t get free.

A couple of important stats. You always hear me harp about free throw shooting. Tonight was a great shooting night all around. 46% from the field. 86% from the line. By the way…the Sisters are the best free throw shooting team in the conference. That wins games.

Next up is a trip to Stillwater for a game Sunday. After starting the season 11-0, the Cowgirls are standing at 2-2 in the conference with losses to Baylor (by 34) and Texas Tech (5). They did beat #17 Kansas at home (by 17). Always tough at home, this isn’t a gimme. Should be fun to watch! Schedule says FSN.

Congrats ladies. 4-1 is a great start. Let’s keep it going.

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Sisters demolish #14/16 OU!

Cous,

Thanks for another great write up. I was so impressed with Nicki as she continually took control and broke down the OU pressure in the second half. Same for Kid - she must have ice in her veins.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Those refs were so bad it was crazy. But yeah they didn't favor either team they were just all around bad. The pair of double fouls in the second half underscored how bad they were.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,174
    Given: 1,031

Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    Those refs were so bad it was crazy. But yeah they didn't favor either team they were just all around bad. The pair of double fouls in the second half underscored how bad they were.
    I thought it was the alternating possession that didn't alternate. They happened about a minute apart. How could you not know (or at least check) that you awarded the last one to the same team too?

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Bill should have complained. I don't think they even realized they gave OU a back to back possession because that second jump ball happened right after a terrible no call. The refs were too busy trying to act like the jump ball made up for the no call they couldn't be bothered with things like whos ball it actually should be.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,002
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 147

Coach explained it after the game. The first double foul occurred after OU had possession. The foul did not involve the possession. Hence, OU retained the ball. The second foul did involve possession and therefore was called a jump ball using alternate possession rules. Sounds strange but probably correctly handled. It's been a long time since I've seen one double foul let alone two in one minute.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 33

Bill explained the double fouls on his radio interview. On the first double foul the officials said OU had possession of the ball so they retained possession. On the second they called it a jump ball so OU got the ball due to the arrow. On the other had, calling two double fouls so close together looks fishy. I admit I am biased in favor of the Cyclones, but in my view OU got the better end of officiating in most cases. I do agree they were terrible.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So the first one was just a double foul, but the second one was a double foul and jump ball? That makes even less sense. How is it possible to get a jump ball and 2 fouls all simultaneously?

Starter
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 20

According to Fennelly when the first double foul occurred, Oklahoma had the ball so they retained possession not considering the alternate rule. The second one occurred during a scramble, jump ball whatever and the arrow was pointing towards Oklahoma. Sounded pretty bogus to me but that is how it went down. We won that's the main thing. The officials were a lot to be desired that's for sure.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,647
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 859
    Given: 722

If a person knew beore the game that Pop would foul out and that Anna and her would have 10 turnovers between them you would assume a loss. What are the odds the four others step up like they did and have such big games? Great games by them. I know OU seems to be built to score and not defend as much as some in the league but Moody's stats at one point were 11 assists to a single turnover. Wow!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    So the first one was just a double foul, but the second one was a double foul and jump ball? That makes even less sense. How is it possible to get a jump ball and 2 fouls all simultaneously?
    I also replied in the official game thread - but it goes like this: When a double foul is called, we look to see if either player control or team control exist. If one of them does exist, the team with control retains possession after the double foul. If neither (team or player control) exist, then the alternating possession rule is used.

During the second one - a shot had been taken - which ends team control (by definition, team control cannot exist during a try). The rebound was in the air and so no team control existed, hence the alternating possession.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 6

A question I have for anyone who might know......are the officials for a Division I Women's game paid the same as the officials for a Division I Men's game? Also, do they receive the same training/certification as men's officials?

Men's officials can be bad too, but there seems to be a bigger problem in the women's game, imo.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks that makes sense.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Lisa Mattingly & Scott Yarbrough are two very-well seasoned officials who often get high-profile games.

Lisa has done a dozen or more final fours.

I had no issues with the officiating last night overall.

What is bothering me the most with the officiating this year, is the lack of holding calls. Our posts are getting wrapped up and not able to catch passes or go to the ball because they are being held. That actually got called last night twice.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,181
    Given: 3,754

Note that Nikki now has 112 assists over 14 games so her average is an even 8.0 per game. The current leader (as of last NCAA posting) had 7.9 assists per game (126a/16g=7.875). Nikki now appears to be the leader at 8.0 per game so as long as Nikki keeps pace with Haley Steed of BYU in their games this week when the next NCAA posting comes out Nikki could lead the nation in this stat. The current listed leader, Steed, plays in only one game this week, Thursday at Gonzaga.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr