Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 85

Sheri's best coaching job?

This may very well be Sheri's best coaching job. Can you imagine what the impact on any team would be to have the injuries they've endured? Whitney Hand, one of their stars, went down Dec 6 with a torn ACL ending her career. Prior to that a slew of other players had fallen. Freshman guard Maddie Manning tore the ACL in her right knee the previous week; veteran Lyndsey Cloman chose to end her career because of a lingering back injury in early November; and sophomore Kaylon Williams ruptured her Achilles tendon during the preseason. Wow.

And yet OU is right where everyone expected them to be at the start of the season. They stand 4-0 in the conference and 14-2 overall. Normally I would nitpick about their schedule as it is loaded with creme puffs. The only difficult Pre conference games they lost. Yet, the schedule is remarkably similar to Iowa State's. Both teams have beaten TCU, Texas, and TTech. OU has also taken care of WVU while we have a loss to Baylor. To do this after losing an experienced starter and much of your team depth is amazing.

OU is going to remind long time Sisters fans of ISU of old. They come in shooting from the perimeter like we wish we could. As a team...yes a team...they are hitting 40% of their 3 point shots. They've put up a ton of them. Ellenberg is shooting at a 47% clip with nearly half of her over 200 shots being from behind the arc. Hook is also very capable as she is shooting 38%. I suspect Coach Fen has paid particular attention to perimeter defense this week. A interesting matchup will be in the middle where Prins goes against 6'6" Griffin. Anna always seems to play her best against tall players (last game excluded). So it will be interesting to see how that battle plays out.

one key that I see in this game? Free throws. OU's starters are not the greatest at the line. To date they are shooting in the upper 60% range and that could be advantage Iowa State. Another is defense. Iowa State, as usual, has one of the best defenses in the conference while OU is giving up chunks of points...11 more per game than our Sisters. They are also scoring 7 more points per game than State. Something has to give and I'm hoping our defense prevails and our offense shines.

see you tonight! Should be a typical Big 12 game.

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 88
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 195
    Given: 142

Re: Sheri's best coaching job?

She did have some talented depth or even her coaching super powers couldn't make it go. Two injuries (pause to knock on wooden coffee table) would pretty much kill us regardless of who the coach was.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    This may very well be Sheri's best coaching job.

Why do you use first name references for people you don't know?

I've wanted to ask you that since you started posting here. And now I have.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

Sheri is a great coach. It's too early to tell if this year brings out the best in her. While Whitney Hand is a huge loss, isn't she the only starter who they lost? I think Williams was to be a factor this year. But to date, other than Hand, they are likely playing with their starters plus their sixth person, all of whom returned with significant playing time and experience. Plus McFarland has herself in better shape this year, giving them much more balance. The real challenge will be whether they can keep it going all season with such a short bench.

All-Star
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 440
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

I'll be watching our D. The OU guards shoot quickly, and as noted, well. Good ball movement often gets an open look against our zone- typically from a corner. Need a great effort.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post
    Sheri is a great coach. It's too early to tell if this year brings out the best in her. While Whitney Hand is a huge loss, isn't she the only starter who they lost? I think Williams was to be a factor this year. But to date, other than Hand, they are likely playing with their starters plus their sixth person, all of whom returned with significant playing time and experience. Plus McFarland has herself in better shape this year, giving them much more balance. The real challenge will be whether they can keep it going all season with such a short bench.
    Manning had worked her way into the starting lineup early in the season. I think she had started 3 of 6 games prior to going down.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Senolcyc View Post
    Why do you use first name references for people you don't know?

I've wanted to ask you that since you started posting here. And now I have.
    How do you know that I don't know them? Are they personal friends? No. Have I met them, talked with them, etc. Yes. Another reason that I tend to use first names is to give my comments, especially the summaries I write, a personal touch. This program has been built around and is known as a family affair. Coach has often talked about how the supporters see these young ladies as nieces, grand-daughters, daughters, etc. I've tried to put that into my writing as best I can. In many cases though, I've met and had several conversations with either players, coaches, etc. over all the years I've been following this team.

All-Star
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 5

While Sheri is having to deal with injuries, it reminds of the year we lost Weiben and Ross to ACL's. insole it and Anderson simply stepped up. We finished 8th in the conference, but knocked off the #1 seed (KSU) in KC.

If (God forbid) we have some injuries to the little depth we have, I bet Fallon and/or Z would step up. Like they did with Anderson, the coaches would get them prepared. The one I would worry most about losing would be Nikki. Hard to go without a solid PG in BF's system.