Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Jack White

  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 204,295, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,385
    Points
    204,295
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 324

    Jack White

    Thoughts on Lazaretto? Anyone else going to KC to see him?

    His awesome performance at Bonnaroo in both audio and video format

    http://www.reddit.com/r/jackwhite/co...bonnaroo_2014/



    Cool features on the vinyl version


    • 80 gram vinyl
    • two vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
    • one hidden track plays at 78 RPM and one plays at 45 RPM, making this a three-speed record
    • Side A plays from the inside out
    • dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped; the grooves meet for the body of the song
    • matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an unplayed 78 RPM record
    • both sides end with locked grooves
    • vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
    • dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
    • absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
    • Different running order from the CD/digital version
    • Utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD/digital versions



  2. #2
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 495,201, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,574
    Points
    495,201
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 719
    Given: 2,853

    Re: Jack White

    I love Lazaretto. I'm a huge Jack White fan, him in any form is my "bucket list concert" (from the other thread). While I also enjoy Black Keys, I thought it was interesting lately when he called them out for basically ripping off his sound (not that they're at all unique in doing it). I agree with him that others are definitely capitalizing on his sound, but to be fair, he's not the first fuzzy guitar garage rock guy.


    M 7/09

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 158,162, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUKyro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,615
    Points
    158,162
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 189

    Re: Jack White

    He comes off as a stuck up jack *** to me - but the man make some killer music!



  4. #4
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 598,298, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,102
    Points
    598,298
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,147
    Given: 105

    Re: Jack White

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUKyro View Post
    He comes off as a stuck up jack *** to me - but the man make some killer music!
    I'll agree with this. He takes himself a little too seriously, but I don't care that much, because he's such a fantastic musician.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 204,295, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,385
    Points
    204,295
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 223
    Given: 324

    Re: Jack White

    He apologized for his comments but also said that some were taken out of context by Rolling Stone.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 484,426, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,056
    Points
    484,426
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 102

    Re: Jack White

    I'm loving Lazaretto as well. I think it's a definite step-up from Blunderbuss, which was ok, but not up to his usual level of awesomeness.

    I agree that he comes off as way too self-serious, but just like Ryan Adams (another complete ****** bag), I don't really care because he's a fantastic musician. I don't really need to feel like I would enjoy hanging out with my favorite musicians to still enjoy them.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 646,602, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,787
    Points
    646,602
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,447
    Given: 135

    Re: Jack White

    I haven't heard the album yet, but I like Jack White, I think he's very serious about his art form and how it's created and also how it's received the by audience. I think that's pretty rare for the most part.



  8. #8
    square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Points: 495,201, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Angie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    IA
    Posts
    17,574
    Points
    495,201
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 719
    Given: 2,853

    Re: Jack White

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    He apologized for his comments but also said that some were taken out of context by Rolling Stone.
    I did see that. I remember when the White Stripes were first making it really big with Elephant, there was another band that was out at the same time (I think also from Detroit) that had "White" in the title. Jack just decimated them in the media (and I think there was a fistfight?), and I'm pretty sure they just crumbled. Man, I can't even remember their name, because the White Stripes' career just dwarfed them.


    M 7/09

  9. #9
    Starter
    Points: 17,518, Level: 40
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 532
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    roundball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    968
    Points
    17,518
    Level
    40
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 510
    Given: 201

    Re: Jack White

    Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Cool features on the vinyl version


    • 80 gram vinyl
    • two vinyl-only hidden tracks hidden beneath the center labels
    • one hidden track plays at 78 RPM and one plays at 45 RPM, making this a three-speed record
    • Side A plays from the inside out
    • dual-groove technology: plays an electric or acoustic intro for "Just One Drink" depending on where needle is dropped; the grooves meet for the body of the song
    • matte finish on Side B, giving the appearance of an unplayed 78 RPM record
    • both sides end with locked grooves
    • vinyl pressed in seldom-used flat-edged format
    • dead wax area on Side A contains a hand-etched hologram by Tristan Duke of Infinity Light Science, the first of its kind on a vinyl record
    • absolutely zero compression used during recording, mixing and mastering
    • Different running order from the CD/digital version
    • Utilizes some mixes different from those used on CD/digital versions
    Do you mean 180 gram? 80 gram vinyl would be very, very thin.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 51,524, Level: 70
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,026
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    isukendall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    1,847
    Points
    51,524
    Level
    70
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 63

    Re: Jack White

    I really like Lazaretto. Great to see the setlist from his Bonnaroo performance included a lot of White Stripes, Raconteurs, and Dead Weather stuff.

    I have a ticket to see him at Red Rocks this summer, freaking fired up for that one. I saw the White Stripes twice in 2004, great shows. Wish I hadn't missed Raconteurs and especially Dead Weather, but guessing we haven't seen the end of those bands.

    I think High Ball Stepper would be fantastic football intro music, especially with a tornado siren blazing in the background.





  11. #11
    Legend
    Points: 281,371, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12,117
    Points
    281,371
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 485
    Given: 847

    Re: Jack White

    I got tickets to see him at Red Rocks. It's gonna be Awesome with a capital A.



  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 26,742, Level: 50
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 808
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    542
    Points
    26,742
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 17

    Re: Jack White

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    I'll agree with this. He takes himself a little too seriously, but I don't care that much, because he's such a fantastic musician.
    I used to think that as well but he was on Conan last week and he's got a pretty good sense of humor...which kind of surprised me because I always thought he was always so serious.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 56,203, Level: 73
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,629
    Points
    56,203
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

    Re: Jack White

    Love Lazaretto, which is interesting to me since I was never a big fan of the white stripes.



  14. #14
    Pro
    Points: 32,666, Level: 55
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    ThatllDoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,238
    Points
    32,666
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 210

    Re: Jack White

    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    I love Lazaretto. I'm a huge Jack White fan, him in any form is my "bucket list concert" (from the other thread). While I also enjoy Black Keys, I thought it was interesting lately when he called them out for basically ripping off his sound (not that they're at all unique in doing it). I agree with him that others are definitely capitalizing on his sound, but to be fair, he's not the first fuzzy guitar garage rock guy.

    I'm a fan of his too. His ego got the best of him with those comments. In "It Might Get Loud" he talks about the guys he was influenced by. I think he wrote some emails in a bad mood and they got out.


    "I'll eat up all your crackers and your licorice."

    -Humpty

  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 154,217, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 52.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clonefan32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,602
    Points
    154,217
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 510
    Given: 7

    Re: Jack White

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I'm loving Lazaretto as well. I think it's a definite step-up from Blunderbuss, which was ok, but not up to his usual level of awesomeness.

    I agree that he comes off as way too self-serious, but just like Ryan Adams (another complete ****** bag), I don't really care because he's a fantastic musician. I don't really need to feel like I would enjoy hanging out with my favorite musicians to still enjoy them.
    Lazaretto is well ahead of Blunderbuss. I think Jack's bravado is what has given him the success he has had. With the White Stripes, it takes some serious moxy to say I'm going to put a barely competent drummer behind me, carry every melody, sing vocals and make incredibly music. For the Stripes to do what they did without a bassist, rhythm guitarist and having a poor excuse for a drummer is remarkable, and you don't pull that off unless you are pretty damn confident in yourself.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM