Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 46

Aaron Hernandez Murder Trial

Opening statement were today. Trial expected to last 6-10 weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...183612099.html

Opening statements concluded shortly after 1:30 p.m. ET. Once both attorneys concluded their statements, the judge reminded the jury of Massachusetts' "joint venture" law, which allows for an individual to be convicted of murder even if they are simply involved with the act and did not do the actual killing ... if, for instance, someone was present at a murder but did not actually perform the deed. This is critical in cases of circumstantial evidence, as the Hernandez trial is.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england...290117281.html

Hernandez sat at the defense table, chewing gum and reading notes from a legal pad. During a break prior to the start of opening statements, he was turned around talking to his mother. They were both smiling, and Hernandez seemed engaged and loose, even laughing at one point.
    Might be laughing now but the amount of circumstantial evidence they have on him sounds pretty damning.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,002
    Given: 191

Re: Aaron Hernandez Murder Trial

Quote Originally Posted by jj-cyclones View Post
    Opening statement were today. Trial expected to last 6-10 weeks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...183612099.html

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england...290117281.html

Might be laughing now but the amount of circumstantial evidence they have on him sounds pretty damning.
    It just depends on what they've got. The judge threw out a key piece of evidence; the cell phone text sent by the victim shortly before his death. it said something along the lines of "Did you see who I'm with? NFL" I'm not sure what the grounds for tossing it were, but that was a blow to the prosecution. You never know with these things. I could just as easily see him get off as I could be convicted.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    It just depends on what they've got. The judge threw out a key piece of evidence; the cell phone text sent by the victim shortly before his death. it said something along the lines of "Did you see who I'm with? NFL" I'm not sure what the grounds for tossing it were, but that was a blow to the prosecution. You never know with these things. I could just as easily see him get off as I could be convicted.
    I believe the judge threw them because she thought the text messages were sent to Odin's sister to 'brag' about who he was with, rather than out of fear for his life. Which I can kinda see.

Regardless, you're right...never know with these high profile cases.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 230

[QUOTE=

Might be laughing now but the amount of circumstantial evidence they have on him sounds pretty damning.[/QUOTE]

But all they have is circumstantial evidence. Heard a legal "expert" on CNN yesterday say that the prosecutions case is not near as strong as they need to be.

"We don't have thugs." - Fran McCaffery

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,002
    Given: 191

Quote Originally Posted by jj-cyclones View Post
    I believe the judge threw them because she thought the text messages were sent to Odin's sister to 'brag' about who he was with, rather than out of fear for his life. Which I can kinda see.

Regardless, you're right...never know with these high profile cases.
    Even if they weren't out of fear, they would have placed him with Hernandez just prior to his death, and from your link, in Massachusetts, you don't have to have actually pull the trigger to be guilty of murder, only be present. That text would have gone a long ways toward establishing who Odin was with just before he died.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid27 View Post
    But all they have is circumstantial evidence. Heard a legal "expert" on CNN yesterday say that the prosecutions case is not near as strong as they need to be.
    From the yahoo link...

...the prosecution will show that DNA tests revealed Hernandez's DNA was present on a shell casing found in the car driven that night.
    This is the first time I've heard they have DNA on Hernandez so if what the prosecution said is true in their opening statements, that is pretty big news.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Even if they weren't out of fear, they would have placed him with Hernandez just prior to his death, and from your link, in Massachusetts, you don't have to have actually pull the trigger to be guilty of murder, only be present. That text would have gone a long ways toward establishing who Odin was with just before he died.
    Good point. Any evidence throw out in a circumstantial case is never good for the prosecution but with the video showing Odin getting in the car with Hernandez I can't see them letting him walk (this is why I wouldn't be a good juror).

Recruit
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 23

It has to do with rules of evidence and hearsay. Generally, hearsay, which is a statement made out of court (e.g., text message) that is submitted to provide evidence of the matter asserted in the statement (e.g., as evidence to support a position that OL was with AH), is not admissible in court. There are several exceptions to the general rule, but the judge felt none fit this case. In general, hearsay is not admissible because of the person offering the statement (e.g., the sister) did not directly witness the matter asserted in the statement (e.g., that OL was with AH), so it is impossible to definitively know whether the person (e.g., OL) is making a true statement.

Further, in this particular case, the text is a little ambiguous. "NFL" can mean a lot of things, and OL is not here to explain what he meant by "NFL."

Last edited by SeaClone; Yesterday at 06:34 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 316
    Given: 715

The problem with this is you are left to assume he meant Hernandez which wouldn't constitute evidence.