Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 44,378, Level: 65
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    JY07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,342
    Points
    44,378
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 132

    Ankeny Garbage Collection

    We're moving to ankeny in a few weeks and I didn't realize the city doesn't take care of garbage collection (you have to choose a provider).

    Anyone have any insight on why to pick one over the other? Or are they basically all the same and just pick the cheapest option?



  2. #2
    Walk On
    Points: 7,279, Level: 25
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    170
    Points
    7,279
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    We go with the cheapest option and consider them very good. Occasionally they have forgotten us on the route and come right back when called or come back next day if it was noticed too late as we are their only customers on our street. Can't remember their name at present. All the local prices are relatively the same.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 131,302, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    8,452
    Points
    131,302
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,958
    Given: 709

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    We're moving to ankeny in a few weeks and I didn't realize the city doesn't take care of garbage collection (you have to choose a provider).

    Anyone have any insight on why to pick one over the other? Or are they basically all the same and just pick the cheapest option?
    We have a Waste Management big rolling can and an Ankeny Sanitation big rolling can. 98% of our surrounding blocks has the same setup. Once in a while a house has Waste for both.

    Also, WM recycling comes every 2 weeks.


    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJGray View Post
    I'd get a Rascal Flatts tramp stamp for free.

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 20,402, Level: 43
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AmesHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,461
    Points
    20,402
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 49

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Ankeny Sanitation. Never had a problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    not everyone that plays college football wants to go pro..thats probably part of why ISU sends fewer players to the draft than Iowa does

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,786, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,564
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Bader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    4,680
    Points
    76,786
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 189

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    We've lived in a house in Ankeny for over a year. We use Ankeny Sanitation. I think it's like $33 every 3 months or something? Plus minor charges to have yard waste picked up. You have to email them to get added onto the yard waste route.

    That seemed like what most of the neighborhood had, and $12 a month of whatever was enough for me to not care about calling anyone else.

    Recycling is provided by the city. I'm pretty sure I just lucked into getting both picked up on the same day (our trash is once a week on friday, recycling every other week on friday)



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 459,949, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    69,985
    Points
    459,949
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,218
    Given: 1,967

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    We're moving to ankeny in a few weeks and I didn't realize the city doesn't take care of garbage collection (you have to choose a provider).

    Anyone have any insight on why to pick one over the other? Or are they basically all the same and just pick the cheapest option?
    Pick the cheapest. Garbage is garbage. Garbage in, garbage out.


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Georges, Hallice, Deonte, Abdel, Monte, Matt, Jordan, and again McKay.

  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 325,090, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    19,574
    Points
    325,090
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,840
    Given: 776

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Pick the cheapest. Garbage is garbage. Garbage in, garbage out.
    And the cheapest is Waste Connections, although its not by much. Prices go up every year, and I would always price each out to see what was the cheapest, and Waste Connections always won the bidding war. This is who we used when we were in Ankeny, and never had any complaints. Im pretty sure I could of put a dead body in the trash, and they would of taken it, no questions asked (i.e. they take anything you put on the curb)



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 44,378, Level: 65
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    JY07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,342
    Points
    44,378
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 123
    Given: 132

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Pick the cheapest. Garbage is garbage. Garbage in, garbage out.
    Since it doesn't look like anyone has had any problems with any of them, it sounds like this is probably the way to go.

    Thanks for the responses: since the majority are for Ankeny Sanitation I'm guessing that'll be the favorite



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 372,335, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    cyhiphopp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    21,944
    Points
    372,335
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,899
    Given: 8,715

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    And the cheapest is Waste Connections, although its not by much. Prices go up every year, and I would always price each out to see what was the cheapest, and Waste Connections always won the bidding war. This is who we used when we were in Ankeny, and never had any complaints. Im pretty sure I could of put a dead body in the trash, and they would of taken it, no questions asked (i.e. they take anything you put on the curb)
    Instead you took it to your friends hog farm, like everyone else does, right?


    2014-15 Cyclone Fanatic NBA Fantasy Basketball Champion!



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 60,612, Level: 76
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,038
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jtdoyle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    2,541
    Points
    60,612
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 33

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    We've used Ankeny Sanitation since we moverd to Ankeny 13 years ago, never had any problems and they will take about anything you put out on the curb. We just got our bill and it was $42 for 3 months of service ($14/month).



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 32,866, Level: 55
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    scottie33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    2,638
    Points
    32,866
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 0

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    I just started garbage collection at new house in NE Ankeny and got the following prices for 95 gallon container:
    1) Ankeny Sanitation - $14/Mo (billed quarterly)
    2) Aspen - $13.55/Mo (billed quarterly)
    3) Waste Management - $15.50/Mo (billed quarterly)

    Prices are all relatively close, and we ended up going with Ankeny Sanitation as I would say 98% of residential around us has them which makes the chance they forget about you less likely.

    Also, within the $/Mo each company has different requirements on additional garbage you can put out with the 95 gallon can. Ankeny Sanitation allows 2-30 Gallon bags with your 95 gallon can at no additional charge and you can do this every week; Aspen allows an additional bag "every so often" and if get's too frequent they will bill you for it; Waste Management will take one item per week that is too large for your can...etc.

    Also, since you are moving shortly you will probably be inquiring about Internet Service. Mediacom was $35/Mo for 15Mbps for 12-months which would increase to $45/mo after the 12 months. Centurylink I got 40Mbps internet for 12-months at $30/mo and they said if you call their "loyalty department" they will extend your 12-month agreement another 12-months at the same rate or better rate if there is a promotion out there.

    Needless to say, we went with Centurylink as Mediacom was unsure if they serviced NE 49th Str. and that would take 1-2 weeks to find out.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 20,402, Level: 43
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AmesHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,461
    Points
    20,402
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 49

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by scottie33 View Post
    I just started garbage collection at new house in NE Ankeny and got the following prices for 95 gallon container:
    1) Ankeny Sanitation - $14/Mo (billed quarterly)
    2) Aspen - $13.55/Mo (billed quarterly)
    3) Waste Management - $15.50/Mo (billed quarterly)

    Prices are all relatively close, and we ended up going with Ankeny Sanitation as I would say 98% of residential around us has them which makes the chance they forget about you less likely.

    Also, within the $/Mo each company has different requirements on additional garbage you can put out with the 95 gallon can. Ankeny Sanitation allows 2-30 Gallon bags with your 95 gallon can at no additional charge and you can do this every week; Aspen allows an additional bag "every so often" and if get's too frequent they will bill you for it; Waste Management will take one item per week that is too large for your can...etc.

    Also, since you are moving shortly you will probably be inquiring about Internet Service. Mediacom was $35/Mo for 15Mbps for 12-months which would increase to $45/mo after the 12 months. Centurylink I got 40Mbps internet for 12-months at $30/mo and they said if you call their "loyalty department" they will extend your 12-month agreement another 12-months at the same rate or better rate if there is a promotion out there.

    Needless to say, we went with Centurylink as Mediacom was unsure if they serviced NE 49th Str. and that would take 1-2 weeks to find out.
    Damn, must be nice. Centurylink apparently doesn't have anything in NW Ankeny faster than 1.5mb/s when we last checked a year or two ago.


    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    not everyone that plays college football wants to go pro..thats probably part of why ISU sends fewer players to the draft than Iowa does

  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 586,439, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Close Enough, IA
    Posts
    22,277
    Points
    586,439
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,134
    Given: 644

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by AmesHawk View Post
    Damn, must be nice. Centurylink apparently doesn't have anything in NW Ankeny faster than 1.5mb/s when we last checked a year or two ago.
    I'm in the NW corner and have 20Mbps with Centurylink.





  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 30,621, Level: 53
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 229
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    jkclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,974
    Points
    30,621
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 783

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Maybe I'm just naive, but is this at all common elsewhere. Also is it common other places for them to forget to pick up the trash. I don't think in the 17-18 years we've lived in our house they've ever forgotten to pick up our trash.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 20,402, Level: 43
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AmesHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,461
    Points
    20,402
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 49

    Re: Ankeny Garbage Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    I'm in the NW corner and have 20Mbps with Centurylink.


    They put that line in recently? We were told that around NW26th they only had in a 1.5 line. Really would like to get rid of Mediacom, although I admit, their internet isn't anywhere near as bad as their cable.


    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyeh8r View Post
    not everyone that plays college football wants to go pro..thats probably part of why ISU sends fewer players to the draft than Iowa does

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPN
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Texas
  • February 13, 2016
  • 07:30 PM