Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 19,791, Level: 42
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TigerCyJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Polk County, IA
    Posts
    1,084
    Points
    19,791
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 8

    NCAA tournament play-in games

    Can somebody explain to me why there are two play in games for 16 seeds but also for like 11 seeds? It seems like the random 11 seeds just get punished, so it should be the 16 seeds because they're the lowest, right? Why is this?



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 90,970, Level: 93
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,998
    Points
    90,970
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 777
    Given: 1,343

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Play-ins are worthless



  3. #3
    Swarm & Punish
    Points: 311,119, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    keepngoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21,531
    Points
    311,119
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,510
    Given: 3,291

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    I think up to 11s are typically at large... Where above that seed typically are win ins from conference tourneys.


    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

    May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 129,442, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,482
    Points
    129,442
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 856
    Given: 1,720

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCyJM View Post
    Can somebody explain to me why there are two play in games for 16 seeds but also for like 11 seeds? It seems like the random 11 seeds just get punished, so it should be the 16 seeds because they're the lowest, right? Why is this?
    Instead of going one way or the other — either shifting all the seeds down to make the play-ins between 16 seeds, or making all of the intro-round at-large matchups — they decided to split the difference, for some reason.

    Plus, it isn't strictly 11-seed play-in for the at-large teams. So far in two seasons, it's been at 12 and 14 (2011) and 11 and 12 (2012). Another random, unbalanced aspect about this 68-team idea.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 137,567, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    theshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,166
    Points
    137,567
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 289
    Given: 2

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Quote Originally Posted by keepngoal View Post
    I think up to 11s are typically at large... Where above that seed typically are win ins from conference tourneys.
    Yup. Basically making the lowest at-large teams prove their worth against each other.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 433,027, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    22,928
    Points
    433,027
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,780
    Given: 1,050

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    It should be the 16 seeds (followed by 15 seeds, etc) in all the play-in games if they are going to have them. Minor conference teams have plenty of chances to prove their worth by scheduling in their nonconference. Its not usually great teams getting those 16 seeds (generally they arent even one of the top 70 teams and to be honest they deserve the spot less than some at larges that end up in the NIT), but teams that have little to no resume that just happened to get in from a lucky conference tourney showing. Those 11 seeds have done more and proven more than those 16 seeds have, and making them 'play-in' is just punishing them for being in a better conference that deserves multiple bids.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 74,465, Level: 84
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    HoopsTournament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    4,201
    Points
    74,465
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,009
    Given: 1,076

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Quote Originally Posted by TigerCyJM View Post
    Can somebody explain to me why there are two play in games for 16 seeds but also for like 11 seeds? It seems like the random 11 seeds just get punished, so it should be the 16 seeds because they're the lowest, right? Why is this?
    Money. They would not get any to come to the game or watch if they had all 16 seeds for the "First Four" games.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 673,129, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    3TrueFans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    27,374
    Points
    673,129
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,881
    Given: 545

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Because NCAA.




    Eyes closed, head first, can't lose.

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 436,140, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    65,364
    Points
    436,140
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,537
    Given: 1,178

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Every game is a play-in game until you are the champion. Hey, it is a good chance to be ion national TV.


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Georges, Georgios, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 74,465, Level: 84
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    HoopsTournament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St. Joseph, MO
    Posts
    4,201
    Points
    74,465
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,009
    Given: 1,076

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Every game is a play-in game until you are the champion. Hey, it is a good chance to be ion national TV.
    I never liked the term "Play-In" because those teams are already IN the tournament. They just aren't in the round of 64. So your point is well taken. The round of 64 are play-in games to the round of 32 and so on. I like to call them Opening Round or Preliminary Round. I also don't like calling them First Round and the round of 64 Second Round because 60 teams are playing their first game in the "Second Round".



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 100,484, Level: 98
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    everyyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    6,244
    Points
    100,484
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 300

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Let me simplify your life. Any time you ask why and the question involves the NCAA, the answer involves $$$.


    ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 129,442, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,482
    Points
    129,442
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 856
    Given: 1,720

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsTournament View Post
    I never liked the term "Play-In" because those teams are already IN the tournament. They just aren't in the round of 64. So your point is well taken. The round of 64 are play-in games to the round of 32 and so on. I like to call them Opening Round or Preliminary Round. I also don't like calling them First Round and the round of 64 Second Round because 60 teams are playing their first game in the "Second Round".
    I also HATE that the First Four (as they call it, which is cool with me) is considered first round now. It causes unnecessary confusion, since Th-Fri had been "First Round" for 25 seasons.

    Until they fix that, I'm calling it "play-in"



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 436,140, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    65,364
    Points
    436,140
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,537
    Given: 1,178

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    I also HATE that the First Four (as they call it, which is cool with me) is considered first round now. It causes unnecessary confusion, since Th-Fri had been "First Round" for 25 seasons.

    Until they fix that, I'm calling it "play-in"
    Call it a prequel....


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Georges, Georgios, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 41,911, Level: 63
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,039
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    BloodyBuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,622
    Points
    41,911
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 106
    Given: 31

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    I hate the play-ins also, and wish they would not have them at all. But given the current setup, I think all the play-ins should be for the 11 seeds. Why should a 1 seed get punished and have to play a harder team because of a play-in?



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 220,240, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LA LA Land
    Posts
    18,079
    Points
    220,240
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,666
    Given: 2,408

    Re: NCAA tournament play-in games

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    It should be the 16 seeds (followed by 15 seeds, etc) in all the play-in games if they are going to have them. Minor conference teams have plenty of chances to prove their worth by scheduling in their nonconference. Its not usually great teams getting those 16 seeds (generally they arent even one of the top 70 teams and to be honest they deserve the spot less than some at larges that end up in the NIT), but teams that have little to no resume that just happened to get in from a lucky conference tourney showing. Those 11 seeds have done more and proven more than those 16 seeds have, and making them 'play-in' is just punishing them for being in a better conference that deserves multiple bids.
    Great point, the minor conference teams with a good non-conf win or two are never a 16 or even 15 for a reason. No matter how bad your conference, beat one good team non-conf and you're not in danger of a 16 seed. It's not asking the world.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM