Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 582

Re: Running the ball next year

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    That's what I thought. Thanks for taking the time out to come on here and completely derail what could have been an intelligent conversation about ISU football and turning it into a b**ch session. Thanks a lot.
    I'd say you do this quite a bit with a lot of your posts!

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,035
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 582

These ideas are all great and I just printed off all the posts and faxed them (not emailed ) to CPR. He will be thrilled

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    These ideas are all great and I just printed off all the posts and faxed them (not emailed ) to CPR. He will be thrilled
    Why do you post on these again? You obviously don't come here to talk football.

Prospect
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 248
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I am excited to see if we run a two tight-end set next year with both Bruns out there. That could be real interesting. A lot of plays could be disguised with this formation. That could be what we need to establish a consistent running game. Also, I am not ready to give up on Messingham. Gotta give him some time, only one year on the job. Fix one thing at a time. Solve the o-line problem and see what else needs addressed. Two tight ends blocking should be able to handle any blitzes coming ISU's way.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    Why do you post on these again? You obviously don't come here to talk football.
    Totally agree! I can't understand why some low life's have nothing better to do on these message boards but post on threads they don't like, derail them, and just try to knock others down all the time?

Must be insecure or something?

I just try to get some good conversations going on here, that's all. If people don't want to talk ISU football, fine, then don't.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 265

Quote Originally Posted by ISUENGR View Post
    Also, I am not ready to give up on Messingham. Gotta give him some time, only one year on the job. Fix one thing at a time. Solve the o-line problem and see what else needs addressed. Two tight ends blocking should be able to handle any blitzes coming ISU's way.
    Hopefully it is Mess needing more time to fix things, and not needing more time to learn on the job. What if the blocking problem originates from this offense run by Mess?

Starter
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 123

More talent would definately help. I think running backs are "good enough" and not the main problem. From my view out here in the cheap seats, the offensive play calling looks so predictable that D's know what we're going to do before we do it.

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,953
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by MLawrence View Post
    I disagree with your assessment on the running backs by saying they are overrated, because I they can each have a good day rushing on any given day. However, the coaching staff needs to put the running back in a position where they can succeed. In my arm chair coaching opinion, I would like to see one running back for a few plays before being subbed out so the RB can get in some sort of rhythm.
    I feel the same way. Seems like everything this team does on offense, is by committee. Running backs and Quarterbacks especially. I would like to see one season under the Rhoads era where we choose a #1 running Back and a #1 QB and let them give the season a shot. I understand that every game is important, but it seems like the hook is pulled as soon as the first sign of trouble appears. That just doesn't seem good for conssitency or confidence.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 480
    Given: 928

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    I feel the same way. Seems like everything this team does on offense, is by committee. Running backs and Quarterbacks especially. I would like to see one season under the Rhoads era where we choose a #1 running Back and a #1 QB and let them give the season a shot. I understand that every game is important, but it seems like the hook is pulled as soon as the first sign of trouble appears. That just doesn't seem good for conssitency or confidence.
    I really think the idea of running back by committee is a good thing as long as it is used properly. Backs should only regularly be switched if they just had a big play and are gassed or you are switching them for a series. The obvious exception might be for a situational switch like you have a really good 3rd down back you want to get in for a long 3rd down(for his receiving and blocking prowess) or a short down/goal line back. Otherwise you can use several backs and allow them to get in a rhythm while still keeping backs fresh for the fourth quarter.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Walk On
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

IMO...something that we rarely did this year that would help tremendously in the running game is using motion on offense. We just line up in formation and let the defense tee off on us. We don't force them to shift or change any coverages. We also never pull on the O-line with our guards/tackles/center. It is very effective when running to the edge and in misdirectoin. Having said that, we also never run misdirection plays. I know many ppl here love Woody, but he is a FB plain and simple. He can be effective in short yardage when he isn't 7 yards off the line but his best asset is blocking. I think he should be used as a lead blocker when running and as a protection back in the passing game. I also agree with several posters that utilizing an I-formation from time to time would be effective. On the rare occasion that we had more than 1 back in the backfield it was effective. Generally our RB's are very efficient but when the only get 10 carries a game it tells me that we are abandoning the running game. 4ypc is good enough for a first down. Also, anyone notice that we seem to throw deep over the middle to Jarvis West (our shortest player) quite often?? What chance does he have? I don't think Mess uses him in a way that is effective at all. He is a scat back. He needs to get the ball in space, on end-arounds, etc. Not over the middle or on fade routes or deep balls. He is too small and too vulnerable in those situations. Just some observations...

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 358

Quote Originally Posted by ISUENGR View Post
    I am excited to see if we run a two tight-end set next year with both Bruns out there. That could be real interesting. A lot of plays could be disguised with this formation. That could be what we need to establish a consistent running game. Also, I am not ready to give up on Messingham. Gotta give him some time, only one year on the job. Fix one thing at a time. Solve the o-line problem and see what else needs addressed. Two tight ends blocking should be able to handle any blitzes coming ISU's way.
    Spoken like an engineer--repair the structural defects, then see what happens.

I'm looking forward to spring. I gotta say, I think that if Shaban Dika and/or Duaron "Big Dawg" Williams are healthy, and Ethan Tuftee makes it through a season without repeated injuries (as he hasn't the last two seasons), that's going to go a long way towards improving the running game.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Rookie
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4

Sadly, I think what the offense needs is an architect.

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Spoken like an engineer--repair the structural defects, then see what happens.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 358

Quote Originally Posted by Land Grant View Post
    Sadly, I think what the offense needs is an architect.
    I don't think that even great plans for a South End Zone will help the offense...

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)