Ames Trib: To foul or not column
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 82,696, Level: 89
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,054
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,545
    Points
    82,696
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 1

    Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Via Cody Westerlund: Westerlund

    To be quick, I disagree with where he landed here even though I was one that wanted to foul the other night.

    Even if you use his numbers quoted and adjusted he lands on an 11% chance that Kansas would make the first free throw, miss the second, get the rebound, and then make a three pointer. He also notes that there was a 12% chance they would make the first free throw, miss the second, get the rebound, and then make a two point shot.

    Of course, you need to add those two scenarios together to come up with the probability of either of those situations happening that would result in at least as good of an outcome for Kansas as what happened by not fouling, which gets you to 23%.

    He then quotes the 46% three point accuracy from McLemore but also references the NBA study where they found that the average NBA three point percentage is less than 20% when down three with less than 11 seconds left. While I wouldn't advocate using NBA numbers for this analysis that shows that the shooting percentages aren't near as good in that situation as the rest of the game. Would McLemore make that shot even 1 out of 3 times? Who knows.

    Aside from all of that I disagree with his adjustments to the Kansas offensive rebounding percentage, taking it down from 32.3 to 25 because of ISU's defensive rebounding numbers, specifically Melvin Ejim. They have their offensive rebounding percentage because that is how they play. Last year they finished with a 35% offensive rebounding percentage which ended up being middle of the pack. That is because of how they play (choosing to crash the glass on offense or get back on defense) and they have played a much tougher schedule so far this season than any other B12 team. Citing the NBA rebounding percentage on free throws doesn't seem apples to apples in my eyes.

    I would actually, if anything, adjust their offensive rebounding percentage up. They'll be crashing the glass in that situation with all five guys and there isn't a chance on earth that the refs call a foul on them, in that situation, in Phog Allen. Obviously, it would be best if we knew what their rebounding percentage was on there own free throws and go from there.

    Long story short, I don't think the "foul or not" question is answered by this column.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 27,522, Level: 50
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cloned4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,541
    Points
    27,522
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Agree.

    Sorry Cody and Bobby, you're off on this one.


    ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!


  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 38,357, Level: 60
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CapnCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    38,357
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 133

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    I like the twitter posts floating around calling out Dick Vitale as he criticized CFH for not fouling, but didn't say a think last night when Izzo chose not to foul and won in a very similar situation. That is what is frustrating...it is situational and hindsight is always 20/20.

    Believe me, I'm a big fan of statistics and using them, but in sports there are so many elements that do not necessarily show up on a stat sheet that a coach is considering.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 40,072, Level: 61
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    ThatllDoCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,860
    Points
    40,072
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 421

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    When what you do works, you are right, when it doesn't, you are wrong. I had no problem with Fred's decision. Hated the outcome. Credit KU for executing a play we knew was coming and to McLemore for making the shot.


    “Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 38,357, Level: 60
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CapnCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    38,357
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 133

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Somewhat related but unrelated, I saw a story on this technology and it is VERY intriguing:
    USC News

    Basically, using real time data it shows trends that you normally would not be aware of. For instance, a team may play better with a certain player on the court, who the ball is passed through, etc.

    BUT, again, this is a human game and stats/science can't always help with human behavior. Players know they are not supposed to hit a guy after the whistle, etc, but they do and get 15 yrd penalties in football or run their mouth in bball and get t'd up.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 183,087, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,611
    Points
    183,087
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 0

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    After a few days now to calm down a bit... I still believe you should foul in that situation, but I have come to admit it's not quite the slam dunk decision that I thought it was.

    However, Izzo got extremely lucky last night. The Iowa player had a wide open 3 attempt last night to send the game into OT. But he missed it.

    I still have a beef with Fred not calling a timeout after KL's 2nd made FT though. Even if the coaching staff comes to the decision to not foul, I still think you huddle up and discuss exactly how you are going to defend them. For example, all 5 of your guys should be out at the arc defending. Then explain to them how you are going to switch on picks so there's no confusion.

    It's all behind us now. We can only move on. It just still stings how that could have been a program changing win, but wasn't. Those kinds of opportunities are rare. And yet again, ISU blew it. Being a Cyclone fan is not a good way to fight depression. What can go wrong usually does.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 72,014, Level: 83
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,136
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,196
    Points
    72,014
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 209

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    I like Fred's game plan that put us in a position to win and have no issues with his decisions in the last 8.4 sec.

    Although I was thinking at the time we should foul, I definitely wanted somebody to pick up Johnson on the inbound pass and put some 1-on-1 pressure to take time off the clock and disrupt their set up of the perimeter weave.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 38,357, Level: 60
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CapnCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,508
    Points
    38,357
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 133

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    After a few days now to calm down a bit... I still believe you should foul in that situation, but I have come to admit it's not quite the slam dunk decision that I thought it was.

    However, Izzo got extremely lucky last night. The Iowa player had a wide open 3 attempt last night to send the game into OT. But he missed it.

    I still have a beef with Fred not calling a timeout after KL's 2nd made FT though. Even if the coaching staff comes to the decision to not foul, I still think you huddle up and discuss exactly how you are going to defend them. For example, all 5 of your guys should be out at the arc defending. Then explain to them how you are going to switch on picks so there's no confusion.

    It's all behind us now. We can only move on. It just still stings how that could have been a program changing win, but wasn't. Those kinds of opportunities are rare. And yet again, ISU blew it. Being a Cyclone fan is not a good way to fight depression. What can go wrong usually does.
    Right on about moving on. I just hope that staff and players can use this as a motivator, confidence builder, coachable moment, reminder on little things, etc.

    This reminds me, I saw Hoiberg talk last year and he said people were actually emailing him asking if he was working with Royce on free throws. Hoiberg can be sarcastic and his response was so great...basically, he said, "wow, I never thought of that...OF COURSE we are working with Royce on this." Our coaches dissect games/players FAR more than us message board jockey's (and likely with more basketball knowledge than us.) I mean, remember CPR going for 2 vs Nebraska?



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 262,023, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,214
    Points
    262,023
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 761

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Quote Originally Posted by ThatllDoCy View Post
    When what you do works, you are right, when it doesn't, you are wrong. I had no problem with Fred's decision. Hated the outcome. Credit KU for executing a play we knew was coming and to McLemore for making the shot.
    I'd credit McLemore if he hadn't banked it.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 408,214, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,123
    Points
    408,214
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 882
    Given: 620

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Since McLemore (5 for 5 at one point and Babb could not stop him) and Relaford were the two people that shot pressure threes well, why not call a timeout and basically make sure everyone guards those two people at the perimeter? For that matter, just foul the 7 footer Withey and put him on the line for three and away from the rebound. I think we should have called a timeout.

    KU is well coached enough to know what to do anyway without a TO. A timeout would have helped us more than them IMHO.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  11. #11
    Starter
    Points: 7,809, Level: 26
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    CY88CE11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Des
    Posts
    764
    Points
    7,809
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 114

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    I like Fred's game plan that put us in a position to win and have no issues with his decisions in the last 8.4 sec.

    Although I was thinking at the time we should foul, I definitely wanted somebody to pick up Johnson on the inbound pass and put some 1-on-1 pressure to take time off the clock and disrupt their set up of the perimeter weave.
    Agreed. Put heavy pressure on with probably Lucious. Get a steal, game over. If you foul, so be it. Same situation we've been debating here for two days.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 195,138, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Dryburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9,135
    Points
    195,138
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 6

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    After last night's Iowa game, I visited Hawkeye Nation just to see what might be discussed there, since Izzo had chosen not to foul in the last few seconds of the Iowa/MSU game when MSU was up by 3......he allowed a 3 point shot by the Iowa point guard, which of course failed.

    Jon Miller had a thread on the subject of if coaches should foul or not foul, which he had started before the game, obviously to shed some light on whether or not Hoiberg had made the correct call. Anyway........Jon linked this article about the subject from a coach.........http://www.depauw.edu/ath/mbasket/images/up3.pdf

    He also provided another link that contained this little tidbit:
    In 2010, John Ezekowitz of the Harvard College Sports Analysis Collective found 443 instances during the 2009-2010 college season when a team had the ball down three points during its last possession of the second half or overtime. In 391 cases, Ezekowitz found that the team leading did not foul and only lost 33 times (91.56 winning percentage). In the 52 cases when the team fouled, six lost (88.46 percent winning percentage). In other words, it was a statistical wash. Granted he didn't have it broken down to exactly how many seconds were left when the team got the ball. That's important, too.

    So should you foul or not?

    "I think it varies," UConn women's coach Geno Auriemma said. "Some coaches swear fouling is better. Some say no way. There are studies that show you have the same chance of winning if you foul or if you don't foul. A team that's 0-for-14 on threes, maybe you don't foul."

    Gallagher's theory?

    "If you're a great rebounding team, I think [fouling] is a good option," he said. "The worst place to expose rebounding is from the foul line. So if you're not a great rebounding team [UConn obviously isn't], it's not something that's in your cards. And, two, you've got to practice it. If you don't, don't do it. I see intentional fouls happen [two fouls shots and retain possession of ball]. You've got to be smart."

    Based on these two articles, and CFH's comments, I am absolutely convinced that CFH was aware of all the math in these articles, made his own math calculations regarding ISU's situation in his head, in the heat of the game, and made his call. After reading these articles......I think he made the call many, if not most coaches would make......with the possible exception of Dick Vitale......but let's not forget.......Johnny O kicked his ***.....so does he really count?

    Let's move on.


    -Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 35,580, Level: 58
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,070
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,485
    Points
    35,580
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 127
    Given: 122

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Via Cody Westerlund: Westerlund

    To be quick, I disagree with where he landed here even though I was one that wanted to foul the other night.

    Even if you use his numbers quoted and adjusted he lands on an 11% chance that Kansas would make the first free throw, miss the second, get the rebound, and then make a three pointer. He also notes that there was a 12% chance they would make the first free throw, miss the second, get the rebound, and then make a two point shot.

    Of course, you need to add those two scenarios together to come up with the probability of either of those situations happening that would result in at least as good of an outcome for Kansas as what happened by not fouling, which gets you to 23%.
    You can't add 11 plus 12 to conclude there is a 23% chance of KU scoring after a missed FT because the predicate act (regaining possession) is common to both scenarios.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 36,908, Level: 59
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MartyFine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Warren Co., IA
    Posts
    1,571
    Points
    36,908
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 34

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Ames Trib people need to read The Signal and The Noise by N. Silver.

    What all these proponents of fouling are not taking into account is Paul Janssen. You cannot put the game in his hands anymore than it already is in that situation.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 288,634, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    15,483
    Points
    288,634
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,203
    Given: 3,789

    Re: Ames Trib: To foul or not column

    Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    Based on these two articles, and CFH's comments, I am absolutely convinced that CFH was aware of all the math in these articles, made his own math calculations regarding ISU's situation in his head, in the heat of the game, and made his call. After reading these articles......I think he made the call many, if not most coaches would make......with the possible exception of Dick Vitale......but let's not forget.......Johnny O kicked his ***.....so does he really count?

    Let's move on.
    Before we moved on this part had to be repeated.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM