Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 196

Re: Niang's technical

Quote Originally Posted by CarlHungus View Post
    I'm not trying to be a doosh, my point is just that things get heated and players say things. As a ref, I think you should let that stuff go as long as it doesn't cross the line. To me, saying **** you is not crossing the line. Had he said, **** your ***** mother, then that is different
    It seems like it depends more on the circumstances of the situation. However, it seems like the NCAA may be taking the discretion away from the refs.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 10
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3

My sign for the home game.

Georges can't say it but I can.

FU KU

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm still wondering if there is a new policy in place for refs to be more vigilant in calling T's for particular behaviors.

Are any of you refs who have been told to make more calls? Have you seen more calls being made in other games? Are commentators talking about this in other games?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,136
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    I'm still wondering if there is a new policy in place for refs to be more vigilant in calling T's for particular behaviors.

Are any of you refs who have been told to make more calls? Have you seen more calls being made in other games? Are commentators talking about this in other games?
    https://ncaambb.arbitersports.com/Gr...o%203_2_12.pdf

Using profanity or vulgarity; taunting, baiting or ridiculing another player or
    bench personnel; or pointing a finger at or making obscene gestures.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63
    Given: 0

I just think the fact that both Niang and Hoiberg didn't complain about the call means that it was probably warranted.

Not a huge deal IMO. I like that Niang shows some emotion out there. Without him and McGee's emotion, we'd be completely lifeless team. Clyburn, Babb, and Booker look like they could care less what happens out there. I know they do, they just never look like it. Which is fine, it's just their personalities, but I think every team needs a few Niang's and McGee type players that show some emotion.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I just think the fact that both Niang and Hoiberg didn't complain about the call means that it was probably warranted.

Not a huge deal IMO. I like that Niang shows some emotion out there. Without him and McGee's emotion, we'd be completely lifeless team. Clyburn, Babb, and Booker look like they could care less what happens out there. I know they do, they just never look like it. Which is fine, it's just their personalities, but I think every team needs a few Niang's and McGee type players that show some emotion.
    I'm glad they don't.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 452

Quote Originally Posted by mganzeveld View Post
    One of my 3rd graders mentioned the game to me today since he wanted Kansas to lose. He is a New Mexico fan and wanted them to move up in the rankings as a result. He began by saying that missed free-throw was the game ender. I mentioned to him that 3 points were left on the court for a little bit of trash talking bad attitude that cost them a technical, to which they nailed all three. (teachable moment for promoting good behavior) His response? He shook his head and said, "How is it different in basketball? They talk trash on the football field all the time." He didn't know what exactly was said nor would I have shared that of course but he did have a good point.
    There is a lot more space on a football field out of earshot of an official. If you say that within earshot of an official you are probably just as likely to get an UC flag as you are the technical in basketball.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is the sort of thing I was wondering about. However, this seems to have been directed at March Madness. Is there a concerted effort to enforce the rules more rigidly this season? I really hadn't thought about it until the Niang technical. And I'm not really focused on my personal opinion about whether he deserved it or not. It is just a matter of playing the game with the current interpretation of the rules in mind, lest it come back and hurt us.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,151
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 24

Quote Originally Posted by CarlHungus View Post
    I'm not trying to be a doosh, my point is just that things get heated and players say things. As a ref, I think you should let that stuff go as long as it doesn't cross the line. To me, saying **** you is not crossing the line. Had he said, **** your ***** mother, then that is different
    As pointed out earlier on in this thread, I can't believe how posters on here think it's perfectly acceptable to use that kind of language. Wow. We are now basing our judgment on foul language based on who they tell to f off, crazy.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 623
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 13

I think at this level of basketball, if this happens, at least call a double technical. How is bumping someone who isn't doing anything any more sportsmanlike than saying "**** you?"

Some people are so caught up on little petty things in language. Let's be frank here. Most of the guys at this high of level are used to **** talking. Maybe it's not in NCAA anymore, but I can assure you when they play pick up games and even in AAU, it's something they've had to deal with and done themselves. IMO it's part of the game. Sure maybe not that language, but in a ways at most sports it is at some level. The people who have this view that none of this goes on either barely ever play sports at some sort of competitive level, or they coach their 12 year old kid's team where it's easy to tell a kid to not **** talk the other team.

Yeah it's not sportsmanlike, but it's not a huge deal to these guys anymore. At least punish the guy on KU too. What he did was not good either. I hate how in sports, the guy who reacts is the only one to usually get punished. As if **** just happens on its own. I like refs who punish both of them, not just the guy who happened to react.

I guarantee you the ref called it on Niang to not let it boil into something even bigger, since he got bumped. Still though, punish the KU guy too for it. That's inexcusable.

Last edited by marothisu; 01-11-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 63

Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    As pointed out earlier on in this thread, I can't believe how posters on here think it's perfectly acceptable to use that kind of language. Wow. We are now basing our judgment on foul language based on who they tell to f off, crazy.
    If that kind of language deeply offends you, then toughen up. I can't stand this pussification of our society