Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Wow this board is amazing

I'll be the first to admit I wasn't a huge fan of this team before. I thought they didn't play well together as a team. After tonight I can say otherwise. I was sitting with some KU fans during the game and at the end they asked if I was ******. I told them that I was sad, but not mad. We played a hell of a game in such a hard place to win. I would have never thought we would have brought KU to OT in the Phog. Great effort by our team and I support Fred with the no foul call at the end. That was an amazing shot by McLemore that needed help by a bank off the back board.... I ended with, "We'll be waiting for you in Ames for Big Monday.... It was hard to win in the Phog, just wait til you enjoy soe Hilton Magic."

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 1

Still lost. Still lost to a mediocre Iowa team. This team reminds me of the team that puts in the time to beat the so so team but when it gets to the good teams it will put in just enough effort to show that they can play with them but will still in way to say boy we played them tough but only if it was at home or only if we played some defense at the end, or only if we didn't make some free throws.

This game they should have won and nothing is going to change that. I hope every player goes home and realizes what a lost opportunity thus was and doesn't think about, gosh golly how close that they came to winning.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    Still lost. Still lost to a mediocre Iowa team. This team reminds me of the team that puts in the time to beat the so so team but when it gets to the good teams it will put in just enough effort to show that they can play with them but will still in way to say boy we played them tough but only if it was at home or only if we played some defense at the end, or only if we didn't make some free throws.

This game they should have won and nothing is going to change that. I hope every player goes home and realizes what a lost opportunity thus was and doesn't think about, gosh golly how close that they came to winning.
    Think I would rather have the players thinking how close they were. Gives them the confidence that they can do this. Better than hanging their heads and crying about a loss.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    A lot of poeple have been ******** that this team shows no effort, no emotion and no essence of teamwork. Now the same ones are ******** about losing in OT in a gym that the home team hasn't lost a conference opener since 1991, has won 99 out of last 100 games in said gym and currently 30 in a row. They have more Big 12 titles than home losses under Bill Self. They played their collective assses off and the coach (reigning Big 12 Co-coach of the year I might add) just drew up a pretty good gameplan on how to beat KU for us and the rest of the league. But yet some of you *****, some of act like you know more about coaching basketball than Coach Hoiberg (he has forgotten more about the game than most of you know). And yet some of constantly *****. Get a life will you people, Jesus.
    yeah great post. Improvement is not always linear and gradual, sometimes there are big leaps, and that is what we saw tonight. Sucks to lose, but on the road, that stuff is going to happen. Sometimes in basketball a guy gets lucky and banks in a 3 to win. It happens. You gotta beat KU by 20 to win by 2 down there, that is the deal whether we like it or not, and our guys were not quite good enough. Sucks but that is how it works.

Freddy has made some pretty obvious personnell, defensive and offensive adjustments with this extra time off. Pretty interesting really, love how the dude coaches. Really puts guys in the best position to be successful.

Really exciting that he has gotten it out of them finally, and they can build off this and fix some of the little stuff that cost them tonight.

Good college basketball game, just on the wrong end.

Addict
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 161
    Given: 32

Clonevet: I completely get what you're saying from a reaction standpoint. However....there's some things you're not considering...

1: This is a free board where any numb nutz can get a login ID and keep it as long as they're not jackarses (reference cyber), but that doesn't mean their posts mean as much as someone who knows what they're talking about, despite the fact that they are given the same forum.

2: It has recently become acceptable, on the internetz, to freak the f*** out whenever you feel like it because it's anonymous, and it gets reaction....

Therein lies the key point, it gets a reaction. The reaction in a small way legitimizes the freakout-er.

Look at my post history, I'm a smart arse. I am not the most knowledgeable about sports, nor do I claim to be. Generally, I'm making a smarmy comment. In bad times, it's gallows humor, in good times it's 'don't get too high on yourself' humor.

I hate to reference some poetry here, but...Rudyard Kipling's "IF"

Poetry - Rudyard Kipling - If - If you can keep your head when all about you

the first stanza...If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you,If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, but make allowance for their doubting too

then read the whole thing...what it's saying is that if you can avoid being one of the freak the f*** out folks, you're becoming a man.

Although it's easy to take the bait when people are having their spasms, generally the best course of action is to ignore it when it's not that big a deal, or to flat out make fun of them when it's over the top.

Rookie
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

we found a leader Niang

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 50

It really pisses me off how people feel the need to freak out about all the people freaking out after every big loss! OMFG, get it together people! I mean holy ****, it's a normal reaction for people to freak out!

So please, let's stop freaking out about people freaking out so I can stop freaking out about people freaking out about people freaking out! Jeebus FC, when will it end!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 113

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    A lot of poeple have been ******** that this team shows no effort, no emotion and no essence of teamwork. Now the same ones are ******** about losing in OT in a gym that the home team hasn't lost a conference opener since 1991, has won 99 out of last 100 games in said gym and currently 30 in a row. They have more Big 12 titles than home losses under Bill Self. They played their collective assses off and the coach (reigning Big 12 Co-coach of the year I might add) just drew up a pretty good gameplan on how to beat KU for us and the rest of the league. But yet some of you *****, some of act like you know more about coaching basketball than Coach Hoiberg (he has forgotten more about the game than most of you know). And yet some of constantly *****. Get a life will you people, Jesus.
    Let me get this straight. Fans aren't allowed to complain about lackadaisical effort and poor play because a team might show great effort and great play in a later game? Just checking the rules.

I think people who tell others how they should react to things should get a life. People react differently to different situations. Deal with it.

Last edited by Cydkar; 01-10-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 3

We have to admit that most (if not all of us, myself included) did not expect ISU to win last night, and quite frankly we should not have expected it. Let's face it.....the team had not played that well on the road this year, plus they were coming off a come-from-behind in the 2nd half home win against that powerhouse Ivy League school Yale.

But, some interesting things happened last night. First, Niang got his second chance to start, and I think from the very beginning set the tone and let KU (and especialy Bill Self) that this was going to be an interesting evening. Next, we saw a perfect game plan that had been put in place by CFH. The three's started falling for ISU, and every now and then KU would make a run, which ISU would answer.

As the game wore on, ISU was playing agaisnt KU, Phog Allen, and even the people in striped shirts.....that last one already has at least one thread of its own....yet ISU was in a position to win it at the end.

ISU put in a great effort last night and played what was likely the best game they had played this year......at least easily the best game played on the road, so the ending is disappointing. If you poll all of the college basketball coaches, I would be willing to be that about 1/2 would do what CFH did, the other half would have fouled. Honestly, if it were my choice.....I would have fouled. Now......could I have made that decision if I were actually on the bench with a couple of All-Americans on the opposing team, and a 15 or so thousand of their fans screaming at the top of their lungs? I have no clue. I think CFH honestly did what he thought was the best thing to do. Unfortunately, it did not work out. It will be interesting to see what he does if and when the next time that situation comes up. Interestingly, later in the evening the exact same situation came up with WVU/Texas. WVU had a 3 point lead.....6 seconds left......Texas had the ball in their half court.....and Bob Huggins let them shoot. In the overtime......WVU was able to eek out a win.....but there a veteran coach made the same decision that CFH made......although obviously not for the same reason.

I'm not happy with the loss, but I am impressed with at least most of what I saw last night.........and can't wait to watch what this team will do the rest of the season. A loss like this can either get them down, or it can fire them up if they realize that with just a little more effort on the part of some (or any) of them......the game could have turned out differently.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 13

What do you mean "you people", OP?

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by GM4ISU View Post
    we found a leader Niang
    Yep...

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cy4prez7 View Post
    I also thought other than the no foul at the end that Fred's gameplan was incredible!
    Freds gameplan was incredible, and it's easy to second guess him after we lose. If we had fouled there was a chance that we would lose. No foul, and the worst they do is tie it. Which is what they did with a lucky bank shot. In Allen Fieldhouse, the road team does not stop the clock. You let that thing run

CYCLONE POWER!

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    You gotta beat KU by 20 to win by 2 down there, that is the deal whether we like it or not, and our guys were not quite good enough. Sucks but that is how it works.
    This is the bottom line. ISU didn't play good enough to win. It wasn't just one coaching decision or one FT here and there. ISU hit some 3pt shots, but the overall FG% was poor at just over 41%. On the defensive side, KU's overall FG% was at 50%. That kind of offense and defense isn't good enough to win consistently in the Big12. There were certainly good things in the game, but still much that needs to be improved.

The only way anything good will come from this loss is if it burns in the players' proverbial gut and motivates them to improve the things that led to this loss. If the players just blow off the loss thinking they are good enough and KU just got lucky, it will probably be a very disappointing season.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 28

Fred's game plan was great - it was the reason we were in this game. In the last possession situation, it's a roll of the dice. Fred lost. We still had overtime to win it, but didn't.

lets not forget that Scott banked a cheap one in against OSU last year in Ames to win, and Royce's winner at home against KSU. We've been the beneficiary of this type of ending before as well. It goes around and comes around.

Starter
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Totally agree with everything you said! I'm tired of all the "negative nancy's" jumping to find flaws. These guys who haven't been together long enough to really gel, played with heart, discipline, and intelligence, and deserve better. As far as bashing the coaching staff, without 'em, it would be a moot point.

This was one of the best conference openers I can remember in a long while, and it'll do tons for the team's confidence. We just went toe-to-toe with one of the best teams in college basketball on their turf, and came within a off-the-backboard prayer of coming home with a win.

For some reason, we always seem to play the Jhawks tough. We'll see them again, (hopefully twice), let's see what happens in Hilton and in the conference tourney. We won't be running scared, that's for sure.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!!