Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 90

Twister Sister Summary - Baylor lays one on the Clones

The story line of this game won't surprise too many people. After all we were trying to play giant killer and it didnt really work out too well for us. Turnovers? 22 of 'em.
    Bad passes? More than you want to hear about. Scoring by our star players? Non-existent.

As took in the game, all of those things were evident. what was most shocking was the lack of defensive rebounds. Time and time again (15) Baylor got a rebound after a miss and took advantage.

Three point shots were our best threat as we connected on 9 during the game. Moody, Kidd, and Bryne did the damage there. Unfortunately there just wasn't much else to talk about.

It was ugly for quite some time in the first half as Baylor worked to a 26-8 lead. But the ladies made a push to get to 28-16 and it at least felt like a game at that point. Unfortunately we ran into a short shot clock too many times and missed to many easy shots (I.e. layups) to make a serious run at things. The game was almost as much about what we didn't do versus what Baylor did.

Another 3 by Kidd and it would be 30-19. 11 points difference wasn't insurmountable. And then...The wheels fell off. Prins got her 3rd foul at the end of the half.
    Our end of half play was particularly poor with fouls and poor offense. Sims had three consecutive steals at the end of the half. Allowed Baylor to pull back away to make what seemed to be a close game a 35-19 lead.

The biggest problem with the second half wasn't effort ...it was our inability to stop Baylor consistently. Too many 2nd chance shots. They had a ton of second chance points and points off steals/turnovers.

Coach fen got a T for arguing a bad call by the officials. Probably more likely making a point to his players to get 'em going.

Too many foul calls going against us.

Through most of the game our top scorers were held scoreless. They were completely shut down unless the shot came from outside.

Sims made Moody look very pedestrian. That's not a slam on Moody...it's how good Sims is. In my opinion she is the best player on the court. Moody had nearly half of the team's turnovers and in many cases it was Sims picking her pocket. This is also a great example of her not having any help from the bench.

The game just slowly crept away from State. Coach Fen talked about how Baylor beats you into submission (paraphrasing). They definitely did it. State would go nearly 10 minutes without scoring in the second half as this became a rout. Pop would break this with two free throws with 8:50 to go. That would be Pops first and last points of the game. That folks was a sign of just how tough this game was for the Sisters.

There really wasn't much to talk about with this game that was positive. The one that I would bring up was how the players made a push towards the end of the first half. Gritty and kept them in the game to that point.

The bad? Hal went scoreless. Pop had 2 free throws. We were pretty much beat up in every way. We got out scored in the paint 50-0. Ouch.

Look at it this way though...if we can get turnovers under control and rebound better on the defensive end (Baylor had 20+ more shots than we did!) the game in two weeks could be more interesting. Eternal hope running here.

This is a game that we just have to turn the page on. Coach said the rest of the Big 12 behind Baylor is where the battle is at. A good way to recover is to come out Saturday and get a solid, soul restoring win over TCU.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 265

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Baylor lays one on the Clones

Should have played with the Hoiball Plan we saw tonight.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

The biggest surprise is the frontcourt performance (or lack of) by Pop, Hallie and Anna. This is as a good of a combo as we've had in years in those positions in terms of talent and production, and they didn't show it at all. That should have been impossible, even against Baylor. Heck, at some point, just move them all out of the lane and open it up for the guards.

On the plus side though, if it seemed impossible and happened, maybe the odds of it happening again are next to zero??

The other good news is…

67 points is the fewest that Baylor has scored all year. Good job by ISU's defense!

39 points is not the fewest scored by an opponent, so at least ISU does not have that distinction.

Of Baylor's 13 wins this season with Sims playing, only Notre Dame and Tennessee have done better than ISU in point margin, losing by 12 and 23, respectively (vs. 28 for ISU). Five teams have lost by 38 or more points. Another four teams have lost by 32-35 points.

From the game notes, here is ISU's record vs #1 ranked teams:

3/3/12 at Baylor - L, 77-53
    1/7/12 vs. Baylor - L, 57-45
    1/8/11 at Baylor - L, 70-58
    3/28/10 vs. UCONN - L, 74-36
    12/29/02 vs. Duke - L, 88-59

The average margin is 23, and last year at Baylor was 24, one in which ISU even led early in the 2nd half. You can judge this yourself. Not much worse than in the past, but no better either.

An interesting comparison is the 2011 game at Baylor, only losing by 12. ISU started out equally bad or worse, but stayed comparable/competitive in rebounding and turnovers stats, as well as production from Pop, Hallie and Anna (and thus points in the paint etc.), to make it a game in contrast to last night.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=4253&DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=205072725
    http://www.cyclones.com//pdf8/731588.pdf?SPID=4253&DB_OEM_ID=10700

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Should have played with the Hoiball Plan we saw tonight.
    I agree with this. You can't beat Baylor inside. Don't even try. That is what makes Greiner special. I wonder whatever happened to Poppens shooting the three. The stat sheet said she shot one, Hallie shot three, Prins shot 4. I think if we would have worked to get open threes for our inside players, the threes would have been there for the guards. I couldn't see the game because no television offered in this part of the world, and I was watching the men's game. I hate to offer any strong opinion on it without seeing it. Frustrating that Prins got into foul trouble again. Moody ought to slow her game down, figure out how Sims gets to her, and worry about feeding three point shooters against Baylor. The rest of the team ought to be figuring out how to get each other open.

Defensively, I say slow the game down, watch out for turnovers and fast breaks, and play your normal defense, Prins, just keep your arms up close down the middle and stay between Greiner and the bucket.

These are all guesses since I couldn't see the game. I think we have a team that can challenge Baylor if we are smart.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here is the big thing about Baylor. Prior to Sims they were beatable and ISU did exactly that. Sims is, IMO, the best player and difference maker on the team. Once she joined that team it became incredibly difficult to beat. Pick your poison type of thing. I don't think there is much at this stage that Moody is capable of doing that would keep Sims from chewing her up here and there. I think you have to keep playing your game and take the lumps with it. In the past our inside game always had an impact against Baylor. This is truly an anomaly that includes turnovers and poor shooting inside as contributing factors. We had layups...that missed. All you have to do is look at how many shots our posts took and you quickly realize that we weren't getting the ball in there or turning it over while trying.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 721
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

When you have an on ball defender like Sims, you have to have a 2nd PG ball handler on the court to help.

A team with fast guards and good defensive big post could beat Baylor. Paging UConn.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post
    The biggest surprise is the frontcourt performance (or lack of) by Pop, Hallie and Anna. This is as a good of a combo as we've had in years in those positions in terms of talent and production, and they didn't show it at all.
    I would agree that it is a surprise that all three were off. However, last year, Anna Prins was a 40% FG shooter, and this year (after last night) she is at 41% FG. Her 3pt % is way down from last year (16% vs 35%). I was hoping she could break out this year convert more of her shots, but so far it's not happened. Given the short roster, I think ISU is going to need her to shoot better for sustained success in the Big 12.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Walk On
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

That will be a good one to watch in February.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    I would agree that it is a surprise that all three were off. However, last year, Anna Prins was a 40% FG shooter, and this year (after last night) she is at 41% FG. Her 3pt % is way down from last year (16% vs 35%). I was hoping she could break out this year convert more of her shots, but so far it's not happened. Given the short roster, I think ISU is going to need her to shoot better for sustained success in the Big 12.
    In a sense, Anna is converting more shots...from inside. If her shooting percentage is up 1% and yet her 3 point shooting is down 19% she obviously is making more shots closer to the basket. I'll take that from her any day of the week. :)