Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Points: 526, Level: 5
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Points
    526
    Level
    5
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Coach caught watching the game?

    Where was Hoiberg's time outs? With less than 2 minutes left in overtime and Iowa State steadily down 10 points, then comes the first timeout with 3 timeouts left? Amazing!!! The players needed the help that coaching can offer if they do not wait till the overtime is 3/5's over. Could not believe Fred did not calm them down early in the overtime. Like he was just watching the game with the rest of us.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 356,154, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    18,948
    Points
    356,154
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 326
    Given: 42

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Let Me Mayor Watch the Game


    I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

    Or so I have read.

  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 173,737, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,601
    Points
    173,737
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 0

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by CyArkie View Post
    Where was Hoiberg's time outs? With less than 2 minutes left in overtime and Iowa State steadily down 10 points, then comes the first timeout with 3 timeouts left? Amazing!!! The players needed the help that coaching can offer if they do not wait till the overtime is 3/5's over. Could not believe Fred did not calm them down early in the overtime. Like he was just watching the game with the rest of us.
    The only timeout that needed to be called was after KL's 2nd made FT with 10 secs left. Those last 10 seconds COULD have been a program changer. They were HUGE. But Fred didn't call a timeout. Didn't see the need to I guess? Just let the players "wing it" for perhaps the most important 10 seconds of the entire season. Just stand there and watch the guy that was on fire all night send it into OT. Yes it was a prayer, but it never should have even had a chance of being answered by the KU basketball gods.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 43,410, Level: 64
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,338
    Points
    43,410
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 90

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Hoiberg's philosophy is to let the players work through it themselves. Especially this early in the season I can't say that I disagree with that. I think a team develops better over time if they have a coach that doesn't use time outs extremely often.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 432,851, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,818
    Points
    432,851
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 16

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    Hoiberg's philosophy is to let the players work through it themselves. Especially this early in the season I can't say that I disagree with that. I think a team develops better over time if they have a coach that doesn't use time outs extremely often.
    Winning with no time outs >>>> Losing with 3 timeouts. Teams develop better when they're coached. You can't use timeouts "Extremely often" in basketball. You only get 5.



  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 43,410, Level: 64
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,338
    Points
    43,410
    Level
    64
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 90

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Winning with no time outs >>>> Losing with 3 timeouts. Teams develop better when they're coached. You can't use timeouts "Extremely often" in basketball. You only get 5.
    It's all about philosophy though, that's why he didn't use all his during regulation either. If he thinks not using them is best, then that's what he has to do, and that's what he did tonight. He also wanted a lot for the last minute of the game, in the hope that we would still be in the game then.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 187,705, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,371
    Points
    187,705
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 91

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Why call a timeouts. The pressure was on KU, dont give them time to regroup.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 82,433, Level: 89
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,317
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tigershoops31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    5,399
    Points
    82,433
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 52

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    The only timeout that needed to be called was after KL's 2nd made FT with 10 secs left. Those last 10 seconds COULD have been a program changer. They were HUGE. But Fred didn't call a timeout. Didn't see the need to I guess? Just let the players "wing it" for perhaps the most important 10 seconds of the entire season. Just stand there and watch the guy that was on fire all night send it into OT. Yes it was a prayer, but it never should have even had a chance of being answered by the KU basketball gods.
    Yeah it would have been brilliant to call a timeout and give KU a chance to set up a play down 3 when they were out of timeouts...surprised Fred didn't think of that



    Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

    http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 18,872, Level: 41
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    1,191
    Points
    18,872
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 7

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    Yeah it would have been brilliant to call a timeout and give KU a chance to set up a play down 3 when they were out of timeouts...surprised Fred didn't think of that
    Actually would have been a good time out. You get the players set on defense and make sure you inform the team you will give up the two points and for no reason should any player go past the three point line. McGee went all the way in the lane opening up the shot. Had he been at the 3 point line the shot attempt would have been from at least 25 feet and a win for ISU.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 187,705, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,371
    Points
    187,705
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 91

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCyIce View Post
    Actually would have been a good time out. You get the players set on defense and make sure you inform the team you will give up the two points and for no reason should any player go past the three point line. McGee went all the way in the lane opening up the shot. Had he been at the 3 point line the shot attempt would have been from at least 25 feet and a win for ISU.

    Yes lets give one of the best coaches in the country time to sit down with his team to draw up a play.

    The players were fine on D, KU player made a hard shot.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 82,433, Level: 89
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,317
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    tigershoops31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    5,399
    Points
    82,433
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 52

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    3/4 of the time 8 second defense beats 8 second offense with no chance to draw something up...I'll take my chances with how we played it

    Quote Originally Posted by IceCyIce View Post
    Actually would have been a good time out. You get the players set on defense and make sure you inform the team you will give up the two points and for no reason should any player go past the three point line. McGee went all the way in the lane opening up the shot. Had he been at the 3 point line the shot attempt would have been from at least 25 feet and a win for ISU.



    Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

    http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 346,716, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    ISUCubswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    My Playhouse
    Posts
    11,418
    Points
    346,716
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 846
    Given: 435

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    #ScottDrew'd


    CF Big Brother Winner Season 1

    CF Amazing Race Winner Season 1*

    Future CF Survivor Winner Season 4


  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 67,912, Level: 80
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    3,247
    Points
    67,912
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 1

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    #ScottDrew'd
    Whoa...Whoa...let's not get carried away here.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 108,053, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyhawkdmb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CB
    Posts
    5,104
    Points
    108,053
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 70

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by bosco View Post
    Whoa...Whoa...let's not get carried away here.
    have you ready any of the posts/threads tonight.. People are beyond getting carried away!



  15. #15
    Starter
    Points: 14,041, Level: 35
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    611
    Points
    14,041
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

    Re: Coach caught watching the game?

    The reaction is predictable but hilarious. KU got off a contested 3 that banked in at the end of the game, and somehow that's seen as a terrible coaching error. Sometimes crazy shots just go in.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM