Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 15

Re: Back-up for Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Watching what Tulsa did to us with Alex Singleton made me think a lot more about what could be done with Woody (or a Woody-type back). I wish we featured Woody as much on the field as we do with the media.
    I agree, and there's no reason we can't have the qb line up under center once in awhile and run some basic quick hitting run plays or qb sneak when needed, and that's on Mess. No reason not to run some play action passes from under center occasionally too to keep defenses honest. Woody could have done more for for this offense this year, and it reminds me of how Ryan Koch was wasted under McCarney until the Missouri game when he had to carry the ball due to injuries, and he showed what he could do. As far as Woody's replacement in a year, I think Joel Lanning could be a good one if he doesn't stay at qb. He will probably play in the 230-240 range and have good speed and running skills. He's got a strong arm, but was a lot more of a runner than a passer at Ankeny, and was a running back before he was a qb.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 245
    Given: 609

Quote Originally Posted by nickcyv View Post
    I think Cyclone nation collectively has remembered the Okie State win with Woody plowing through their D and just assumed it has happened since. Which really isn't the case. Although, he did run well against KU this year.

It seems like hes been stopped in short yardage plays as often as he has picked them up this year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    It seems like hes been stopped in short yardage plays as often as he has picked them up this year.
    Part of that could be that he's been so seldom used for anything else and it's obvious to the defense what's coming when he comes in for a short yardage situation. Also I think you've got a better chance of converting short yardage from under center than out of the shotgun.

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 707
    Given: 1,084

When the defense is playing Woody getting the hand-off in those situations, it is not going to be consistently successful. I was actually somewhat content with how often Mess used that anticipation against the defense.

I don't know a lot about fundamentals, but as far as schematically the offense IMO should still be a spread offense, it's what we have been recruiting for
    Not this fallacy again. Our recruiting is not the NFL draft, never-mind the fact the results suggest our recruits do not fit this scheme. What exactly about our recruiting, which is to sign the best possible athletes and players, is innate to this system? We have WR recruits of all shapes and sizes. We use RBs of all manners, and recruiting a bigger back is one off-season away. All high school Olinemen need development, and any style of offense works with having mobile, physical, and skilled linemen. Our current scheme is not an equalizer in recruiting, if anything it is so flawed that worrying how our recruits fit is pointless.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,155
    Given: 3,709

Quote Originally Posted by CYKOFAN View Post
    ...Woody could have done more for for this offense this year, and it reminds me of how Ryan Koch was wasted under McCarney until the Missouri game when he had to carry the ball due to injuries, and he showed what he could do.
    *Kock

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 532
    Given: 149

Usually when we hand it to him on a read play.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by nickcyv View Post
    I think Cyclone nation collectively has remembered the Okie State win with Woody plowing through their D and just assumed it has happened since. Which really isn't the case. Although, he did run well against KU this year.
    I agree with this. The frequent posters seem to have built him up in their minds as this physical tackle breaking force, which isn't really the case. My observation was that he has most often went down with first contact/first defender. Even if you look at the runs against OK St he was tackled by the first defender he met. I think the game against KU this year he was more effective than he has ever been. He had a really nice mix of power and moves. I think he earned more carries that game. I get annoyed with the Shontrelle bashing. Sure he makes too many moves sometimes but he gets more yards after first defender than White and Woody combined and with our line that is necessary.

Addict
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 513
    Given: 460

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    He doesn't call the plays. If he decides its Woody time, and Mess decides to run zone read, that isn't Pope's call.

I've heard this a few times. Isn't there coordination between the personnel in the game and the play being called? If not, that explains why Woody goes left/right sometimes rather than forward (e.g. safety in first game against Tulsa). Doesn't quite make sense to me.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 225

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    There are plenty of productive offenses without a big back for short yardage. We don't line up in the I-formation. Sometimes being quick to the hole (actually, I'd say at least 50% of the time) is more important that power. Especially when him coming in is basically a huge warning sign saying "RUN BETWEEN THE TACKLES". I have always been just as confident in White and SJ (when he doesn't try to bounce it outside all the time) as I have been in Woody.e

Also, if you want to find someone who is capable of doing that, Emmanuel Bibbs is your guy. OU wanted him as basically an H-back. They were going to have him play TE and FB. Maybe we have similar plans, who knows.

But the value of big, bruising backs in our offense is easily seen by our recruiting efforts to get one. We have never given a scholarship out of high school to one. Woody was a walk on and happened to just be phenomenal at that role.
    And Rodney Coe was a running back out of HS IIRC. But I believe we need him more at DE next year.

The sky is the limit. We are trying to win every game. We are going to try to get to that big stage, the Final Four, and play on. Morris (May 2014)
    “If you take a look at this group, we’re extremely talented 1-15. We have a lot of talented guys in this locker room — all guys who are willing to put their agendas aside to win. That separates good teams from great teams.” Niang (Oct 2014)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,003
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 740
    Given: 342

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Not this fallacy again. Our recruiting is not the NFL draft, never-mind the fact the results suggest our recruits do not fit this scheme. What exactly about our recruiting, which is to sign the best possible athletes and players, is innate to this system? We have WR recruits of all shapes and sizes. We use RBs of all manners, and recruiting a bigger back is one off-season away. All high school Olinemen need development, and any style of offense works with having mobile, physical, and skilled linemen. Our current scheme is not an equalizer in recruiting, if anything it is so flawed that worrying how our recruits fit is pointless.
    We don't have the tools for any other offense though. You have a major fallacy that we sign the best possible athletes we can get, which frankly isn't true. We, like most other college teams, recruit athletes for our system. We have purposely recruited smaller O-lineman. None of our current quarterbacks have played in another system to the best of my knowledge. It's pretty simple, if you change the system you start all over again. I think I've asked you this before but what system do you recommend we run? Obviously you must have another system in mind that would work better.

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

If Standard bulks up, maybe (big freakin' maybe) he fits the bill.

Other than that, we'd have to recruit someone that's a bruiser.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,003
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 740
    Given: 342

Quote Originally Posted by geburgess View Post
    If Standard bulks up, maybe (big freakin' maybe) he fits the bill.

Other than that, we'd have to recruit someone that's a bruiser.
    He does, and Rhoads said he was more of a between the tackles guy. Hopefully a guy like Justin Webster plays offense and can be more of a power guy. If not maybe the plan is to build the offense around speed at running back as much as possible.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    You're right, our recruiting is not at all the NFL draft, it's way MORE specialized. We are recruiting athletic quarterbacks rather than pocket passers. We are recruiting faster, shorter wide receivers rather than 6'5" giants. We are recruiting faster tight ends who are more like receivers than linemen. And we're recruiting running backs who are much faster and quicker than a Woody-style back

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 435
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 399

The lack of utilization with Woody makes me think this coaching staff isnt looking for that type of back. At the very least they've shown they don't really know exactly what to do with him. I think this year was a step back in terms of play calling when Woody was on the field. If we don't intend to tailor the gameplan to a guy like that, then whats the point of recruiting one?

Legend
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 707
    Given: 1,084

Quote Originally Posted by MJ271 View Post
    You're right, our recruiting is not at all the NFL draft, it's way MORE specialized. We are recruiting athletic quarterbacks rather than pocket passers. We are recruiting faster, shorter wide receivers rather than 6'5" giants. We are recruiting faster tight ends who are more like receivers than linemen. And we're recruiting running backs who are much faster and quicker than a Woody-style back
    More specialized- a way of coping when we do not get what we want, but not accurate. Like virtually all college programs, regardless of system, we are recruiting the best athletes we can get. There is very little "specialized" about our recruiting- certainly nothing that mandates we stick with an offense we apparently cannot successfully recruit for.

-Look at the past three classes of WR. More standard, mediocre speed WRs, rather than short, quick guys. Name a program or offense that predominately recruits 6-5 giants at WR.
    -At RB, who does not recruit RBs that are faster and quicker than Woody? Plus, White was recruited by the previous staff. Every program would take a faster, quicker Woody, and all programs recruit smaller backs when they cannot.
    -There is nothing about our Olinemen that suggests they only fit our offense. We like them as athletic, big, and physical as possible- which is useful for any system. Never-mind the fact we had better Oline play when we had road-graders for an OL.
    -Tell me, what kind of tight end was Ricky Howard? Name a program that exclusively recruits TEs that are more like Olinemen than receivers. Not many.