Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Re: Starting 22 for opener next season...maybe a couple of surprises?

If we improve our tackling, I'm confident that Wally's schemes will have our defense performing above expectations once again.

Coaching/QB/OL/Receiving problems will have our offense performing below expectations once again.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,631
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by BBHMagic View Post
    I don't think he'll ever be much of a player here due to his speed. Against Oklahoma St. (I think) he got absolutely scoarched on a long TD. I remember being shocked at how slow he was watching him run after a guy for 50 yards and rapidly lose ground. Also he hardly played at all after that game.
    touche. i think i know which TD you're talking about, and if thats the case, I will hold my judgement of coach douglas

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 14

To be serious, though, I think the following:
    QB: Richardson / Rohach or Barnett
    RB: Any of White, Shontrelle, Woody, Wimberly, Standard, Nealy. Best man wins
    WR: West / Nealy?
    WR: Bundrage / Daley, Harris
    WR: Gary / Ecby, Q West
    TE: Brun / Bibbs Likely see lot of 2 TEs if Bibbs real deal (think he is)
    OT: Gannon / Lalk?
    OT: Lichtenberg / Dagel?
    OG: Dika / D Williams
    OG: Tuftee / Omoile
    C: Farniok / Burton
    Question marks: OL depth - Loth or Graham in the mix? Slot: Nealy get any shot there? Others?

DE: Scott / Morrissey / Suttles
    DT: Jensen / Bevins / Aka / Krick / Meyers
    NG: Woods / Pompey / Cousin
    DE: Irving / Kron / Suttles
    MIKE: George / White / Meeks?
    WILL: J Miller / Seeley? / Meeks? / L Knott?
    SAM: Broomfield / Morgan? / L Knott?
    CB: Watson / Lynn / Lawry
    CB: Stokes or C Rogers / Richardson / Lawry
    FS: Washington / Mutcherson / Cotton
    SS: Brackens / Mutcherson / C Rogers? / Shaffer?

Questions marks - they abound: DL - Will go with the numbers game again. Hopefully Pompey in the mix & all have a great off-season. If close to ready, a FR could definitely get in the mix (Suttles). Depth @ LBs & who will go where? Meeks get in the mix? Similar issue in D-backfield, one corner & the 2-deep. Think both Rogers & Cotton slated for corner, but in a 'get the best player on the field' move, could see one getting shot to play some safety.

All eyes will be on the Spring game, no doubt.

Last edited by BigLame; 01-07-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    “I heard that Snooki, Pauly D and The Situation will each make $5 million for this season’s ‘Jersey Shore.’ It just goes to show that if you put your mind to something and work hard, you’re wasting your time.” -- Jimmy Fallon

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 288
    Given: 146

Quote Originally Posted by ty4cy90 View Post
    I enjoyed the back to back posts by demoncore and Rhoadhoused. One says Oline is gonna suck, the next says it should be a strength. Sounds about right though.
    All I can think of is that good olines always have experience, and we have that. Oline is a position like no other where 5 people have to basically act as one. How they gel together over a season is the most important thing provided you have the athletes. I think we do, it is just about positioning. If they don't improve, they will suck.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by UNIGuy4Cy View Post
    We have said this since day 1 under Rhoads and the defenses have always kept us in games.
    Givens at safety looked like a huge hole last year and look what happened. Same with losing Rump at DT, Johnson at CB. Watson and McDonough filled in great. Our defense will be very average unless some of our very young Dlinemen step up and really contribute at a high level. That's what it takes.

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 185

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic View Post
    Geez...I sure hope the defense isn't as bad as some are saying/predicting! I didn't expect going into Year 5 would have us making those kinds of posts! Not trying to be a jerk when saying that...just hope we are stronger than some are suggesting!
    I'd rather it be better, but it is not surprising, or even disappointing. Why would you expect the improvement to be monotonic? There are always steps back in any program. This is what happens when you could not afford to redshirt some guys and have the transition class as your upperclassmen.

We have said this since day 1 under Rhoads and the defenses have always kept us in games.
    We have? There were question marks at some positions the first three years, but I do not remember ever thinking they would be bad. Next year I think we will be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    1.)The problem with having Brun on the field in running situations is he is the most awful blocking tight end in the conference.

2.) And the front 7 of the defense next year is just plain terrible. There isn't a single guy who opposing teams even have to worry about.
    1.)Yeah, at least our fleet of small WR have the size excuse. Having a TE that sucks at blocking often reduces him to being just a slower WR.

2.)That is putting it nicely. I would settle for just having a single position in the front seven I was not worried about. Oh, and we apparently also have no one at SS and lose our best CB. We are looking at a Chizik-Bolt 2008 type defense.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 01-07-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    We have? There were question marks at some positions the first three years, but I do not remember ever thinking they would be bad. Next year I think we will be bad.

1.)Yeah, at least our fleet of small WR have the size excuse. Having a TE that sucks at blocking often just reduces him to being a slow WR.

2.)That is putting it nicely. I would settle for just having a single position in the front seven I was not worried about. Oh, and we apparently also have no one at SS and lose our best CB. We are looking at a Chizik-Bolt 2008 type defense.
    What about year two with two true sophomore starting LBs and losing Frere & Alburtis at DT along with Lyle at DE? Plus a starting corner (Banks) just like this year. The returning players were basically SS Sims, FS Sandvig, CB Johnson, DT Rump? DE Parker (was that his medical redshirt year?)

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranRecommendation Second Class

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Rhoadhoused View Post
    Givens at safety looked like a huge hole last year and look what happened. Same with losing Rump at DT, Johnson at CB. Watson and McDonough filled in great. Our defense will be very average unless some of our very young Dlinemen step up and really contribute at a high level. That's what it takes.
    I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the bowl game regarding the defensive line. We may have had a lot of Seniors on the line but that didnt make it great. They were blown off the ball a lot throughout the season and Tulsa carved them up. I think the DT from TCU would have started over someone on the defensive this season. Just because you are a Senior doesnt mean you are great.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the bowl game regarding the defensive line. We may have had a lot of Seniors on the line but that didnt make it great. They were blown off the ball a lot throughout the season and Tulsa carved them up. I think the DT from TCU would have started over someone on the defensive this season. Just because you are a Senior doesnt mean you are great.
    Not sure if you are actually talking to me but I agree. You need a good mix of experienced players and talented underclassmen.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Not sure if you are actually talking to me but I agree. You need a good mix of experienced players and talented underclassmen.
    Im just saying JMac will leave a huge whole but outside of that we need better defensive lineman and dare I say ones that can get a sack.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Im just saying JMac will leave a huge whole but outside of that we need better defensive lineman and dare I say ones that can get a sack.
    Yeah exactly. Our defensive ends need to be able to bring pressure and at the very least get a push now and then. And we need both DTs capable of rushing the passer, not just taking up space. It's been awhile since we have had two really good DTs at the same time. We can only hope the underclassmen can step up.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

My worry levels on defense: Secondary none, linebacker George, White and Broomfield do I need say more? Defensive line, question mark but young talent in Scott, Aka and Cousins.

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 185

What about year two with two true sophomore starting LBs and losing Frere & Alburtis at DT along with Lyle at DE? Plus a starting corner (Banks) just like this year. The returning players were basically SS Sims, FS Sandvig, CB Johnson, DT Rump? DE Parker (was that his medical redshirt year?)
    Still a lot better than this year.
    We had a good defensive backfield in that LJ, Benton, Sims, Reeves, O'Connell, and Sandvig had all played a lot of snaps and/or starts, and not just because of injury. On the Dline we had returning starters in Rump, Johnson, Parker, and Neal.

Basically, every unit next year is almost the question mark LB was for us that year, without the players like Knott, Klein, and Matt T being apparent. It was generally expected they would at least be on par (or better) athletically as the previous season.

My worry levels on defense: Secondary none, linebacker George, White and Broomfield do I need say more? Defensive line, question mark but young talent in Scott, Aka and Cousins.
    You have no concerns at DB? are not worried that we lose our best CB and had a walk-on at SS when Givens went out? I think this will be our best position, but it is hardly a known, high-level, Big 12 unit.

George, White, and Broomfield...do I need to say more to justify concern at LB?

At least we have some returning warm bodies at DL, but no one that has proven to make plays. I would settle just knowing we have guys that can avoid being the cause of big plays for the offense.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 01-07-2013 at 12:15 PM.

KFitzy87

Quote Originally Posted by cmjh10 View Post
    Barnett?
    I think after that going for two Nebraska fiasco a few years ago, it's been determined that we need someone who can throw to be our holder... So probably not Barnett

Legend
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 97
    Given: 62

I hope Irving spends the whole season working on his explosiveness. He needs to get faster starts on snaps if he wants to accomplish anything, otherwise we mine as well move him to DT.

Quote Originally Posted by AltHawk View Post
    Why would it? One bad game doesn't change a thing. Iowa will still be a darkhorse B1G championship contender, and Iowa State will be lucky to make the NIT.

If you ask the basketball analysts outside the state of Iowa I think you would be surprised to hear their responses. Iowa was pegged as a preseason top 5 team by one ESPN analyst and is ranked in the vast, vast majority of preseason top 25 polls