VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 7

Re: Big 12 in talks with NCAA about playing a 13th game

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Because nobody likes less money.
    Well except that little girl from the credit card comercial.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 21

I understand the reasoning behind this, but struggle to see how it would work.

The Big 12 would essentially end up forming two divisions in name only. The round robin schedule would still be maintained ($$$) with the only change being that the top two teams end up playing each other a second time at the end of the year. Why?

(Answer: $$$)

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,624
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 78

It would benefit us, I don't see any undefeated or one loss national title runs in our near future that this game could screw up and we get more money.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I understand the reasoning behind this, but struggle to see how it would work.

The Big 12 would essentially end up forming two divisions in name only. The round robin schedule would still be maintained ($$$) with the only change being that the top two teams end up playing each other a second time at the end of the year. Why?

(Answer: $$$)

$$ and exposure for our top teams.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseCyclone View Post
    Who is going to say yes?

Big 12 screwed up big time turning its nose up at Louisville. ...
    I basically agree with you on this, but I think there are more chapters to be written on conference realignment. The B1G, SEC, and Pac12 are top of the food chain in their regions, and can basically add whoever they want. The B1G moved up to 14, and the ACC reacted quickly by acquiring Louisville. While the Big 12 sat this one out, if it came to pass, I think the Big 12 could still potentially "turn" Lousisville.

A number of teams have joined the Big East, such as TCU, but bailed before actually beginning play. The Big 12 may or may not want Louisville (I do), but if the ACC take another hit or two, they could suffer a Big East - like exodus. Its hard to say what may unfold in the months to come. If the SEC or B1G decides to take the next bite out of the ACC, in moving to 16, more dominos could fall.

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 196

I think this is mostly about keeping the option open for a conference championship game without having divisions, whether or not we add teams. Playing a conference championship game helps make the case for the winner to be invited to the national championship game (or playoff). Seems risky because it could work the other way.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

If you read the article, Bowlsby was quoted as saying he wants more freedom in dictating a conference's playoff.

I think the thought is a conference championship without divisions -- which the Big 12 could do because of the full round robin. Then, the top two teams play in the conference championship game. This year it would have been a rematch of OU vs. KSU. Last year, it would have been an ugly rematch of OSU vs. OU in back-to-back weeks.

I don't really like the idea because we already have the full round robin, but I think it's a good idea to have the possibility in your back pocket.

Addict
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 196

I wonder if this is a sticking point for some team that he would like to see join the Big 12.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseCyclone View Post
    Who is going to say yes?

Big 12 screwed up big time turning its nose up at Louisville. Big 12 would have been able to poach an ACC team to go with them too not add Cinci or BYU because when the ACC was forced to chose between uconn and Louisville after Mary announced they were going BIG a few ACC schools like GT and Clemson said they'd look to leave if uconn was admitted (goes back to them suing the ACC in 2004 when BC left after VT and Miami.) Big 12 would have been in phenominal shape if they agreed to add L'ville when they were desperate after Cuse, WVA, and Pitts announcement and just waited till after this season to find the 12th team. Probably could have taken any 3 ACC schools and killed the conference.

Louisiville was always seriously underrated. Their football team's stock is obviously higher because of the BCS win but there is corporate money behind them. And basketball was horribly underrated too just because they were being compared to unconvict and their recent nc's the KFC Yum center is the highest grossing college basketball venue in the country nowhere brings in more money than that place. It might have looked like a close call between them and uconn since uconn had bb nc's and a recent BCS game in fb but it was really a no brainer. And uconns bb venues blow they play half their games in a tiny venue in Storrs and the other half in Hartford at the Whalers old stadium its bush league when they play a big game like Texas or Villanova in their little *** arena on campus and not the mall.
    Disagree. Louisville brought nothing to the table. They would of had the 2nd smallest fan base in the Big 12, and would of given us the 2nd smallest TV market, let alone in a market with a ton of Kentucky fans. If the Big 12 is serious about expansion, it can do exponentially better then Louisville.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

I still don't get why people wanted Louisville so bad.

-Academics are on par with WVU (yeah I like that the BigXII isn't a stupid conference)
    -Crappy Market
    -Decent athletics

there's much better options

Self proclaimed 2012 CF Newcomer of the Year

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 128
    Given: 9

This is a minor hiccup in the deal but what I don't like is that a division winner would be decided more by how you play the other division than the division you are in. I don't really like that part but wouldn't mind seeing a conference championship game even with that.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CLONECONES View Post

-Academics are on par with WVU (yeah I like that the BigXII isn't a stupid conference)
    -Crappy Market
    -Decent athletics

We already have KSU. The bar has been set low. I don't give a **** about academics in this college sports world. It really doesn't matter. Entry isn't all that different to institutions like Stanford and as Nebraska is shown it isn't vital to your standing as an athletic institution.

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I don't know if I would like that or not. I'm not sure if I want to see a FCS style playoff. The CCG is basically the first playoff game as it sits now so removing it for a playoff game is counterproductive.

I think the first thing the NCAA needs to adopt is a new "Elite" Division. Far too many teams moving up from FCS to FBS and thinking they are at the same level as the big conferences. Many of those will never have a hope or a prayer to come remotely close to competing for a national title, they shouldn't be here. Place a speculation in there for needing an average of 35,000 fans at home games or something like that. It would reduce the number of teams by half. Some teams in major conferences would get sent packing like Northwestern, WSU and Vanderbilt.

I think the NCAA also needs to cap how many teams a conference can have at 14.
    So you want to get rid of teams based on things like attendance and fanbase, not actual performance?

Or so I have read.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by CLONECONES View Post

-Crappy Market
    -Decent athletics

This isn't as big of a consideration since the Big 12 TV model isn't based on bundling its own network into as many cable subscriptions as possible. And even if it was, UL > a school that exists within a market the Big 12 already controls (TCU).

Rookie
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Disagree. Louisville brought nothing to the table. They would of had the 2nd smallest fan base in the Big 12, and would of given us the 2nd smallest TV market, let alone in a market with a ton of Kentucky fans. If the Big 12 is serious about expansion, it can do exponentially better then Louisville.
    Yeah, but just like ISU can still draw NFL and NBA sized crowds in a very small state as the second most popular team Louisville Basketball generates far more revenues than Kentucky in their brand new arena despite UK being more popular. There is an 8k waiting list for tickets at KFC Yum center.

The football program is on the way up. Right now its stock is significantly higher than WVA in fb. Wasn't the case a few months ago but things change quickly and Oliver Luck might get a quick trigger on Holgerson if his offense doesn't look good minus 2 first rounders. The stadium is fine since its been upgraded recently. And there is TONS of corporate money. AND... unlike a Maryland or UK their program is self sufficient and profitable (UK very heavily subsidized by the state.)

Louisville got overlooked because they got compared head to head with uconn, and also Cincinatti who are very similar to them. So they did not appear as the gem of the 3. THey are though.

They got screwed badly academically in comparison to uconn because of their commuter rep (which is false there's 30k undergrads and 80% of freshmen live on campus) the two schools are identical academically but people think uconn actually has decent academics which it doesn't. For some disgusting reason uconn has dramatically risen up the US news and world reports rankings in the last decade (sports success does that) and gets a high rank these days (my alma mater has plummetted in the last 10 years due to a crappy chancellor who was butthurt because Harvard passed her over to be chancellor we used to be in the 40s of major universities and them in the 70s only 5-10 years ago and now a days they come in a few spots higher than us it makes me want to throw up typing that.)

uconn's 2 recent national championships in BB made them appear the better hoops program despite LVille's BB team generating the most revenue of any in the country. ANd uconn had the BCS blowout to OU recently.

So the comparison to uconn didn't help them. And then they got compared to Cinci. Lville=Cinci in terms of markets. THere is no difference. No difference academically. Neck and neck in FB (but Lville had the better stadium and crowds.) ANd Cinci had a good year last year in BB so Lville being much better wasn't apparent. Louisville just didn't stick out when being lumped in and compared to those 3 schools.

But Lousiville has excellent facilities and will be a powerhouse immediately in the ACC. They'd have been perfect for the Big 12. Like I explained though it was not all that apparent that they were the gem of the 3 shunted BE schools in them, uconn, and Cinci (not counting USF or Temple for obvious reasons) if it was more obvious a year or a few months ago even they'd have gotten an invite to the Big 12.

Big 12 screwed up. With A+M's amazing success the Longhorns could easily forgo their commitment to the Oklahoma schools. KU will jump in a heartbeat if anyone asks and take KSU with them (could be the PAC to boost hoops and make up for CU and UU sucking.)

Right now the Big 12 and ACC are equally vulnerable to be that last conference that gets raided in the next round of expansions. If the Big 12 had got Louisville they'd be lookin pretty. They are a much better program than Cinci or Uconn even though it wasn't grossly apparent.