Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,050
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 90

Twister Sister Summary - ISU prevails in Lubbock!

A little long, but so much to talk about in this one!

Early in this game it was about ISU turnovers…four in the first 3.5 minutes. But it was also all about 3 pointers as Hal and Brynn kept ISU in the lead in this defensive struggle. Five minutes in the lid and the defense seemed to come off as both teams scored back to back to back. Mixed in with all of this were fouls on ISU…Moody, Prins, Brynn and Hal…with none on TTU.

Six minutes in and ISU averaging a turnover a minute. Its actually kind of a surprise all of our scoring is from 3 point land with our height advantage. It was finally broken when Pop scored inside 6.5 in. Moody followed that with a great steal and basket and Prins with another to give ISU the 18-12 lead. Ellis followed with another 3 after a TTU turnover and all of a sudden the lead was 21-12. Tech would make a little run at Iowa State and actually lead 22-21, but the sisters would answer back with another 3 by Ellis and a fastbreak layin by Hal to give ISU a 28-22 lead with 3 min left in the half. The turnovers slowed down considerably at this point as well as only two had been committed in the last 14 minutes of the half. Much better at valuing our possessions. ISU was shooting hot hitting 68% from 3 and 65% overall. Worst stat was at the free throw line. Those early fouls were giving TTU a few “unearned” chances. Prins was on the bench again with 2 fouls. Both teams would be cold during the last minutes, but foul shots allowed Tech to creep closer. Finally, Brynn would hit a big 3 with less than a minute to add cushion and Ellis would follow with her 3rd 3 pointer as ISU would lead 34-31 at the half. The good? Shooting percentage is through the roof. Wish the bigs had more chances at it, but who am I to complain? Unfortunately, Pop has only had 2 attempts and Anna 3. The bad? 9 turnovers and 9 fouls.

The second half started off as bad as could be. A quick 3 by TTU tied it, but worse…Hall picked up her 3rd foul and to the bench she would go. Our leading scorer was on the bench. Then another 3 by TTU and Tech would lead 37-34 2 minutes in. This has been a 3 point shooters game with both teams already hitting 8 apiece with almost a full half to go. Nothing was going right for the lady clones with missed shots, missed free throws, fouls and turnovers. Four minutes would go by without a field goal and 4 turnovers. At the 15 minute mark Tech led 39-35. Remember my wish for more inside shots? We were now getting them and Pop and Prins weren’t even close so far. Tech was putting pressure on Moody constantly and it was continually giving us the short shot clock. Not enough movement by the other players to help out. Shots kept coming up short and I wondered if the Texas OT game was affecting our game legs?

Tech started to rush and miss and the sisters would make them pay. Free throws and baskets by Moody and Brynn would give the lead back to ISU. 11 minutes to go and it was 46-42 State. The game would continue down this vein for several minutes. The one constant? Pop. She was a rebounding monster. Amazing ball hound. Both teams kept pushing and pulling as the game went forward in spurts. TTU would hit something and ISU would answer back while maintaining a slim lead. Then something bad happened. The turnover bug hit again. Three straight turnovers and TTU had pulled within 3 at 53-50 with 5 left to go. A smattering of misses and turnovers would get State a five point lead with 2 minutes to go 55-50. These ladies were battling hard. Very hard. A big key were two incredible steals by Kidd. That nasty turnover bug would bite again though and make this thing a nail biter. Two free throws by TTU would close the gap to 55-54 with 45 tics left. And wouldn’t you know it…another turnover. My heart was in my throat…fortunately TTU would miss the shot and ISU would have the ball out of bounds with 6 seconds left. Shades of Kansas!! Brynn to the line with 5.9 left…first one…good! Second shot…missed! But Pop would get the rebound with 3.2 to go. Slow down heart…slow down…

Pass was inbounds to Pop, she scores, is fouled, misses the free throw but the game was over. ISU wins a hard fought road game 58-54. Incredible freaking game ladies!

Game Summary
    The players
    Pop – a rebounding monster again. Struggled to get shots throughout most of the game, but seemed to be Velcro with the ball.

Prins – the ball wasn’t falling when she did get shots. Just a tough game all around. The largest number on her stat line was turnovers. We need better!

Ellis – was a real spark in this game. Hitting from deep at very opportune times to help her team out.

Moody – she had a tough job today. Facing constant pressure she still performed. Fortunately we got to see Kidd give her some relief. She’s going to need it. Developing into a floor general.

Hal – she was the offensive force early today before getting into foul trouble. Definitely fought hard and without the foul problems she will be hard to handle playing like this.

Kidd – she really came on this game. She was aggressive and showed no fear. She spelled Moody effectively and hit for some much needed points.

The bad – turnovers. WAY too many turnovers. 22 for the game. As good as we were shooting, all of those missed opportunities really hurt. We have to value the ball much better.

The good – rebounds. State cleared the boards on the defensive end (29) and were led by Pop. Steals (6). Very quick hands and opportune steals in the late stages of this game by Kidd.

The better – Effort. Our ladies really put it out there today. Major gut check on the road against a good team.

Look for the ladies to break into the Top 25 this week. This time around they are deserving!

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

Re: Twister Sister Summary - ISU prevails in Lubbock!

I am really enthused about this win. I listened to it on the radio because I couldn't get it any other way. It was a great win, what else can you say?

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 15

Go Cyclones!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 267

Looks like BF is getting as much mileage out of a short bench as any other coach. He needs to.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 629
    Given: 327

Huge win for these ladies

Quote Originally Posted by KFitzy87 View Post
    Do batman farts smell like rainbows and unicorns?

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

If this whole season is going to be like the first 2 games....I need to switch sports I watch. Are there any shuffleboard leagues?

BTW.........in case you missed seeing the game.......there is a full replay on FCS Channel 173 on Mediacom at 3 am tomorrow morning, 11 am on Monday morning, and 10 am on Tuesday morning. At least that is on the schedule now.

Great win! Tough to win on the road. 2-0 is a much better start than 0-5 last year. Next one is tough...but maybe they can get Greiner to foul out early.

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Great game by our sophs and frosh; came through big time in the clutch.

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 3

This cracked me up.......

Chelsea Poppens@ckpops Mannn i sat on some girls face so hard tonight! I feel bad for her. Another W though tonight! 2-0 #BIG12babyy

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Prins is going to have to play better defense and stay out of foul trouble in that one. If it is anything like last year, we didn't have anyone that could slow down Greiner except for Prins. Prins has gotten in the habit of hacking lately. She needs to think position and altering the shot. I can't get Fox sports Central. It isn't on the cable package that I am on. And I can't change the package. Unfortunately, big 10 rules out here in Husker country. I dream for the day when all games are on one package online, and we can just junk cable.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post

Great win! Tough to win on the road. 2-0 is a much better start than 0-5 last year. Next one is tough...but maybe they can get Greiner to foul out early.
    First time since 04 that the sisters have started the conference 2-0!

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

Pop was amazing on the boards (and on the floor, and I mean literally on the floor!). Everyone went so hard all game. You have to smile though when Kidd takes it all the way to the hoop under pressure between defenders with a tight game. Man, that takes guts. And several of the passes by Nikki and Kidd... wow, it looks more like football, passing to space counting on a teammate to get there. That's trust! If that can lead to more baskets than turnovers, that will make our offense very special.

All in all, there was some terrific 3-point shooting in league games on Saturday. After seeing OU hit lights out at Texas, and I was hoping the Cyclones could get it going too. Those were some beautiful shots.

Coach F said after the Texas game that he broke a rule of his. IIRC, he said he played not to lose, rather than to win (I think this was in reference to the 3-point lead in regulation and not fouling, then Fussell hit the 3). He didn't make that mistake this game. Pop cutting to the basket on the last in-bounds play was a brilliant move, whether planned or not. We needed the two-possession lead.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cydney View Post
    (I think this was in reference to the 3-point lead in regulation and not fouling, then Fussell hit the 3)
    I thought they blew it on that one. The last thing they should have done was allow Fussell an open three there. They should have called a timeout.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by mitten1975 View Post
    I thought they blew it on that one. The last thing they should have done was allow Fussell an open three there. They should have called a timeout.
    Fussell's three at the end of regulation was because Brynn got caught in a screen, and there wasn't a switch, had Hallie made the switch, Fussell wouldn't have been wide open.

Iowa State Womens's College Basketball - Cyclones News, Scores, Videos - College Basketball - ESPN

Also, if you watch on the three point shot they called the foul on Nikki, the girl flopped.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The end of regulation in the Texas game reminded me too much of the KU game (I believe last year) in Lawrence. We had a 3 point lead and we allowed them to get off the tying 3 point shot. Yet, how you defend it also depends on how much time is left.