Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 64

Ezell Fires Up 99-45 ISU Win Over Sacramento State

LINK

AMES, Iowa – Junior Heather Ezell tied Big 12 Conference and Iowa State school records with 10 three-pointers as she led the Cyclones to a 99-45 win over Sacramento State Sunday afternoon at Hilton Coliseum. With the win, Iowa State improves to 2-0 on the year, while the Hornets drop to 0-3 on the season.
    Ezell was on fire from the start, dropping in seven treys in the first half, and finishing 10-of-15 from beyond the arc and 11-for-17 from the field. She set a new career high with 32 points to lead all scorers. Nicky Wieben was ISU’s second leading scorer with 12 points, while all players who entered the game for the Cyclones contributed points. Jocelyn Anderson led Iowa State on the glass with nine rebounds and four blocked shots, while Alison Lacey passed out seven assists.
    “Heather had one of those nights that all athletes dream about,” head coach Bill Fennelly said. “She shot it great, which was great for her because she was coming off a game where she was 1-for-10 and I thought our kids did a good job finding her against the zone.”
    Ezell led a barrage of three-point shooting for the Cyclones, as Iowa State finished with 17 treys in the contest, one shy of the school record. Freshman Kelsey Bolte tossed in three from long range, while Lacey had a pair as well.
    The Cyclones got the offense flowing in the second half, jumping out to a 36-point lead seven minutes into the period, 71-35, on Ezell’s final three which tied Stacy Frese’s ISU single-game record set in 1999. The Iowa State defense also put on a strong showing in final 20 minutes, holding the Hornets to just 17 second-half points.
    “I didn’t know I (broke the record) until after the game,” Ezell said. “It’s a good feeling. It’s not all about records though, I’m just glad we got the win. Compared to last week, going 0-for-7 (from three-point range), it felt a lot better. I had to redeem myself, and I was able to knock them down.”
    The Cyclones went to the lockerroom with a 45-28 lead, behind 23 first-half points by Ezell. She was 8-for-13 from the floor and 7-of-11 from three-point range in the opening 20 minutes.
    The Cyclones shot 45.7 percent from the floor in the first half, thanks mostly to Ezell and Wieben’s 4-of-5 performance. Iowa State struggled to get an offensive flow with Lacey on the bench most of the half due to foul trouble. The Cyclone defense, however, forced Sacramento State into 11 first-half turnovers and held the Hornets without a field goal over a six-minute span, taking a 27-10 advantage with eight and a half minutes to go.
    Iowa State shot 52.2 percent from the field for the contest and 47.2 percent from beyond the arc. The Cyclones outrebounded Sacramento State, 46-22, and committed just nine turnovers, while forcing 21 by the Hornets. ISU also had 28 assists on 36 field goals for the contest.
    The Cyclones hit the road next week for the Vanderbilt Thanksgiving Tournament. Iowa State will play Michigan at 3 p.m. Friday in Nashville, Tenn. They will then play either Belmont or Vanderbilt in the second round on Sunday.

Pro
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 63

Re: Ezell Fires Up 99-45 ISU Win Over Sacramento State

Great game! I heard Fennelly after the game and all he wanted to talk about was where the Cyclones could improve their game... It ought to be a great season for these players!!!

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 458
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 3

WTG EZ, awesome shooting!

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 64

Ezell hits for 32 points, ISU wins by 54

By DAN JOHNSON • REGISTER STAFF WRITER • November 18, 2007

LINK
    Ames, Ia. — Heather Ezell needed only 27 minutes to shoot her way into the Iowa State record book in Sunday’s 99-45 women’s basketball victory over Sacramento State.

Ezell poured in a career-high 32 points while sinking 10-of-15 3-pointers, and did it all while sitting out the last 12 minutes.

The junior from Springfield, Mo., equaled Stacy Frese’s 1999 school record for 3-pointers in a game, as well as the Big 12 Conference record, and set a Hilton Coliseum record.

Her 32 points tied for ninth the greatest total by an Iowa State player. She is already ninth on the Cyclones’ career 3-point list with 131 and has nearly two full seasons to play.

All this came after she had missed all seven of her 3-point tries a week earlier in the Cyclones’ victory over Pepperdine.

“Compared to last game, it felt a lot better,” Ezell said. “Going 0-for-7, I had to redeem myself from that first game.”

Sacramento State (0-3) played a zone and Ezell burned it with three 3-pointers in the first 10 minutes as Iowa State went up 27-10 following a 13-0 run. Ezell had to switch from off-guard to the point when Alison Lacey missed the final 14 minutes of the half with two fouls.

“Heather had one of those nights that all athletes dream about,” Iowa State coach Bill Fennelly said. “She shot it great. ... You don’t see many nights like that by anybody at any level.”

Iowa State (2-0) led 45-28 at halftime. It made a game a blowout by outscoring the Hornets 45-10 to start the second half to open a 90-38 lead with 4:10 to play.

Center Nicky Wieben scored 12 points. Iowa State received nine points each from reserves Kelsey Bolte, Amanda Nisleit and Jocelyn Anderson.

“(Nisleit) goes out there and always does something good,” Fennelly said. “Amanda’s flexibility has really helped our team and I think 'Jos’ has to feel good about what she did.”

Iowa State also worked to get shots for Bolte, the freshman from Battle Creek-Ida Grove that Fennelly has said was too passive in her first game. She was 0-for-4 in the first half, but made three 3-pointers in the second half.

“Hopefully, she’s learning that she needs to be a viable offensive option in the flow of our game,” Fennelly said. “In the second half, she was much more aggressive, which was good.”

After two easy home victories, the Cyclones will go on the road to play Michigan (2-0) in the first round of the Vanderbilt Tournament on Friday.

“We’ll find out Friday if we’re really ready to make another step,” Fennelly said.

Rookie
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 234
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I hope more teams will play zone against us, but after this game I am guessing that they won't.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 221

we could've played better...lol, just taking the Fennelly approach. helluva game!