Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 98

What is for real in the Big 12?

The first games are done and its hard to make any assessments at this point...but I'll do it anyway. According to the rankings, the Big 12 has four teams (Baylor, OSU, KU and OU) in the top 20 with ISU, West Virginia and Texas getting votes. Much has changed since the first polls when Texas and West Virginia were highly ranked and ISU made one appearance. If you look at these polls you have to realize that for many teams rankings come from reputation and how they ended last year. OSU is a prime example. It sounds good that they one the WNIT, but never had to leave their home court in doing so. Up until they met TTech last night, OSU had a schedule that was so soft it makes Iowa State's look like killer's row. As I watched OSU ascend the rankings I kept scratching my head. They aren't bad, but definitely not a top 20 team. Baylor, KU and OU all deserve to be where they are at. OU is suffering from critical personnel losses and I wonder how they will hold up this season. I think Coach Fennelly is right when he states that anyone can beat anyone else...after Baylor.

KState - clearly down after graduating some great players. They are usually coached well so seeing what they do in conference play will be interesting.

Most dangerous teams? My picks are Iowa State and West Virginia. Nothing flashy about either team. They will have some losses along the way, BUT both will get you if you don't watch out. Iowa State is the better of the two, but WVU is going to do its share of damage to several teams' tournament resumes.

Texas Tech is the mystery team to date. Most of their schedule has been creme puffs with the exception of an overtime loss to Michigan State. For comparisons sake, they beat Illinois about the same as we did (without Pop). Saturday's game should be very telling. They spread their minutes around a 7 player rotation and are led by Baker, Morris, and Hyde who all average around 11-12 points per game. They have a plus 18 scoring margin holding opponents to 50 ppg while scoring 69. How does that compare to Iowa State? We score just slightly more (70) and hold our opponents to 46. Sounds like a fun matchup Sunday.

If the first night of games says anything, it says its going to be a wild season of matchups and the holy grail...who can beat Baylor?

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,325
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 261
    Given: 207

Re: What is for real in the Big 12?

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Texas Tech is the mystery team to date. Most of their schedule has been creme puffs with the exception of an overtime loss to Michigan State. For comparisons sake, they beat Illinois about the same as we did (without Pop). Saturday's game should be very telling. They spread their minutes around a 7 player rotation and are led by Baker, Morris, and Hyde who all average around 11-12 points per game. They have a plus 18 scoring margin holding opponents to 50 ppg while scoring 69. How does that compare to Iowa State? We score just slightly more (70) and hold our opponents to 46. Sounds like a fun matchup Sunday.

Not sure about "fun matchup", could be a low scoring affair with the winner grinding out a win. First one to 50 wins?

Walk On
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

This is my second time to post here and I must say I appreciate the in depth info that you put on here acoustimac. Probably too lengthy for some, but just right for me. I expressed my confidence here a few days ago in ISUs ability to beat Texas, and I see that you did, so congrats from Waco, BUT DANG!!! You Barely did. I was quite shocked to see that the game went into overtime. Judging from remarks in the game thread, there must have been some frustrating moments, such are the growing pains, but a W is a W and that's the maindest thing.

I would have watched the game via internet but I was in Ft Worth to watch BU take on TCU. That was a game worth watching, any true WBB fan would have enjoyed this game regardless of their loyalty The TCU folks gazed in awe, it was almost too much for them. They are so accustomed to flying with the Mountain West Buzzards and it was overwhelming for them to try to soar in the Big12 Eagles realm. They normally have 300 - 400 in attendance. Last night they sold out (6500) and let another 800 in to just stand in the entry ways. Commodes plugged up, concession stands ran out of hot dogs, security panicked, parking caused major issues, it was amazing. But TCU has now been baptized into the Big 12, and they have a long road ahead of them. Too bad Mizzoo is no longer around. I doubt they win a single game.

I'm hoping to be in Lubbock Saturday, if so I will watch the ISU-TT matchup. I hope you guys come out with a little better exacution than you did against UT. It will take it. I believe TT is about 5% better than Texas. Very guard oriented. Shut down their solid point guard and Chyna Brown and you win. They are very weak in the post, Pop should have a field day. I used to love to watch the Raiders play when Marsha was coaching there. I still watch them from afar, but it's almost easier to love a rattlesnake than the coach they have now. So come on Twister Sisters, get your ducks in line, and put a whupping on these Raiders. It will be tough in Lubbock. Currys on the hot seat. Creme predicts they won't even be chosen for their own first round NCAA tourney. So they're playing with a chip on their shoulder. GET EM!!!!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by geewago View Post
    This is my second time to post here and I must say I appreciate the in depth info that you put on here acoustimac. Probably too lengthy for some, but just right for me. I expressed my confidence here a few days ago in ISUs ability to beat Texas, and I see that you did, so congrats from Waco, BUT DANG!!! You Barely did. I was quite shocked to see that the game went into overtime. Judging from remarks in the game thread, there must have been some frustrating moments, such are the growing pains, but a W is a W and that's the maindest thing.

I would have watched the game via internet but I was in Ft Worth to watch BU take on TCU. That was a game worth watching, any true WBB fan would have enjoyed this game regardless of their loyalty The TCU folks gazed in awe, it was almost too much for them. They are so accustomed to flying with the Mountain West Buzzards and it was overwhelming for them to try to soar in the Big12 Eagles realm. They normally have 300 - 400 in attendance. Last night they sold out (6500) and let another 800 in to just stand in the entry ways. Commodes plugged up, concession stands ran out of hot dogs, security panicked, parking caused major issues, it was amazing. But TCU has now been baptized into the Big 12, and they have a long road ahead of them. Too bad Mizzoo is no longer around. I doubt they win a single game.

I'm hoping to be in Lubbock Saturday, if so I will watch the ISU-TT matchup. I hope you guys come out with a little better exacution than you did against UT. It will take it. I believe TT is about 5% better than Texas. Very guard oriented. Shut down their solid point guard and Chyna Brown and you win. They are very weak in the post, Pop should have a field day. I used to love to watch the Raiders play when Marsha was coaching there. I still watch them from afar, but it's almost easier to love a rattlesnake than the coach they have now. So come on Twister Sisters, get your ducks in line, and put a whupping on these Raiders. It will be tough in Lubbock. Currys on the hot seat. Creme predicts they won't even be chosen for their own first round NCAA tourney. So they're playing with a chip on their shoulder. GET EM!!!!
    Welcome! Great to hear your comments. Glad to hear you'll be in Lubbock.