Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 736
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 98

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies win a game of thirds...

Just got home from a night at Hilton and I’m just glad no one had a blood pressure collar on my arm this evening. If it had been the old fashioned kind with the mercury bulb it would have exploded more than once. This was a game that you could divide into thirds so lets approach it that way.

1/3
    The game started with both teams playing physical defense. Yet it was the Sisters who pulled ahead slowly but surely. It was clear that both teams were trying to work the ball inside and it did and didn’t work for State. Prins was only 1out of 8 in the entire first half (including two misses from 3). Yet somehow through it all we pulled out to a 12 point lead. A great contributing factor was the foul trouble that Texas found itself in as a result of its physical style of play. They were using ATM’s playbook as they pushed, hacked, and fouled their way to trouble. My buddy turned to me at this point in the game and said it felt like we should be blowing them out and yet here Texas was still within reach. And then…part 2 began…

2/3
    The wheels feel off. Literally. Pop and Prins got into foul trouble (not as bad as Texas, but we don’t have the size depth they have) and spent quite a few minutes on the bench. The tough part was that Pop was really starting to take over when she picked up her 2nd foul and sat the rest of the half. In came Ellis and Kidd and our offense came to a grinding halt. We went through one of our “patented” scoring droughts, this one lasting a shade over 6 minutes. During this time Texas fought back and actually took the lead as they went on a 14-5 run. It was a comedy of errors as we couldn’t take care of the ball and couldn’t find a way to put it in the hoop. I’ll make a comment here that is done somewhat tongue in cheek. It appeared as if this team had been impacted by the same flu Sam Richardson had prior to the bowl game. Everyone appeared to be running in slow motion as if in molasses. Hal seemed lost at times as if in a daze. Moody was sluggish, never made a move in the lane and had a few errant passes and hadn’t scored. Kidd was simply horrid. It appeared as if she had panic attacks every time she had the ball. She was credited with “only” 3 turnovers, but I swear she had double that. Anna was a combined 1/8 from the field. This third of the game that extended into the mid part of the second half was pure ugliness. I was beginning to worry about whether the ladies could pull it together. In contrast to the first 1/3 of the game, Texas’ guards were scoring at will. If you’ve never seen their star Fussell play you’ve missed out. She has as sweet a shot as you can imagine. After being held scoreless for the first 1/3 of the game she started to light things up as our defense broke down. (note – overall, Brynn did a great job hounding her all night…yet errant switches and brain cramps allowed her to break free too often for my taste). At the end of this 1/3 State was down by six and things looked tenuous.

3/3
    Finally, finally the ladies started doing two things…scoring and getting some defensive stops. A big part of this was in part due to Moody taking charge and attacking the lane and our bigs taking control of the game. Texas continued to get into more foul trouble and ended up with four players fouling out and two more having 3 and 4 each. This put the Sisters on the line and for the most part they converted. As bad as Anna was scoring in the first half she was as dominant in the later parts of this game before fouling out. She went 6/7 from the field and was a monster on the boards. Pop asserted herself and seemed to be everywhere. But it seemed most of our points were going to come from the line. It would be our misses that would haunt us the rest of the way. With 30 seconds left we were clinging to a lead when a missed free throw would give Texas a chance…and they took advantage. We were up by 3 (rather than 4 due to the miss) and Fussell would be left open to hit a 3 and tie the game up at 59. Strangely Moody would bring the ball up the court with 5 tics left in what I felt was an apparent lack of urgency. After a miss it was overtime. Fortunately, Texas began to lose players and Iowa State would hit just enough free throws and we would go on to win a very tough game 73-65. As coach Fennelly would say after the game this is the Big 12. He felt we had regressed at the line and didn’t play smart in the first half. But a boustrous crowd would help will the game into our hands with tenacious play in the second.

Player of the Game – Anna Prins. She dominated the game inside for the ladies scoring 17 points and 5 boards. I honestly felt she had more rebounds than that. She looked aggressive!

Brynn – she may not have contributed much in the scoring column but she spent 45 minutes hounding Fussell and covered her pretty well. She also pulled down 9 boards.

Nikki – finally awoke from her fog in the second half and asserted herself. When she does this things happen that are good for us. She picked up all 14 of her points in the second, but still needs to work on free throws. Had a couple of key misses. She also had the insane foul on a 3 point shot at the end of regulation that allowed Texas to tie things up. It was an aggressive play, but not a smart one.

Pop – in limited minutes (only 29) she did her usual by scoring 16, grabbing 5 boards and hitting 8 of 9 free throws. Remember how bad she used to be at the line. Now foul her at your own peril. The ladies hit 27 of 38 free throw attempts and those misses really hurt. Pop also had the play of the game when she flew after a missed free throw and tipped it out to mid court where we retained possession at a critical time.

Depth – we currently have none that is consistent. Coach played a 7 person rotation tonight and even when Pop and Prins were on the bench there was no sign of Zimm coming into the game. To make matters worse, Ellis and Kidd were turnover machines tonight.

So, the big plus is the ladies found a way to come back and win this one. They stand 10-1/1-0 which is better than the 0-5 start of last year! Big game at Texas Tech this Saturday night. Tech went to OSU and upended the overrated Cowgirls 64-59. Should be a tough battle, but one I think is very winnable. We have to keep them off the line and get there ourselves to win. Congrats ladies…lets get #2!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 88

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies win a game of thirds...

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Depth – we currently have none that is consistent. Coach played a 7 person rotation tonight and even when Pop and Prins were on the bench there was no sign of Zimm coming into the game. To make matters worse, Ellis and Kidd were turnover machines tonight.
    It would seem to be a difficult challenge for the team to withstand the physical play of an 18-game conference season + conference tournament + any post season tourney with only a 7-person rotation. I hope a couple of other players can step up and take some minutes along the way.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    It would seem to be a difficult challenge for the team to withstand the physical play of an 18-game conference season + conference tournament + any post season tourney with only a 7-person rotation. I hope a couple of other players can step up and take some minutes along the way.
    I thought last night was the worse game that Kidd has played in her short ISU career. Even on television you could see that her shots were wonky and her defense, if you can call it that, was non existent. What was the worse thing is that we had to play her for over 20 minutes. If Maddie, Hagedorn, or Zimm don't see even a few minutes each game then by the end of the big 12 season our players are going to be wasted and the Big Dance will be a one and done type of show this year.

Starter
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 44

Quote Originally Posted by 907CY View Post
    I thought last night was the worse game that Kidd has played in her short ISU career. Even on television you could see that her shots were wonky and her defense, if you can call it that, was non existent. What was the worse thing is that we had to play her for over 20 minutes. If Maddie, Hagedorn, or Zimm don't see even a few minutes each game then by the end of the big 12 season our players are going to be wasted and the Big Dance will be a one and done type of show this year.
    Meh. 1st Big 12 game, her AAU Coach on the Texas bench, & trying to ride her own momentum from the Cyclone Challenge may, IMO, gotten her a little too amped up. Does she have to improve - Yes. She adds a lot to this team. I think we'll look back at this game as important to her growing as a player.