Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

New ISU Fan - Memphian

Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to tell you all how thoroughly impressed I am with the Iowa State fan base. I am originally from south Arkansas and moved to downtown Memphis after college. I love my Hogs and when I first started watching football back in the late 80s, I fell in love with Notre Dame. The only other team I pull for is the LA/ now Oakland Raiders. Needless to say I have been a very sad football fan most of the last 20 years. In general I am I die hard college football fan, I travel to teams stadiums that I don't even root for just to catch a game. I love this sport.

I had known of the Cyclones back in the 90s when Troy Davis was running wild and have caught a few of the upsets the Cyclones have been involved in over the years. When Petrino was fired back in the spring Paul Rhodes name was brought up by some of the media and fans and I did a little digging back then and it appears that given time he will have ISU consistently winning.

I had gotten back in town Sunday evening (around 9:30, the 30th) and made the four block walk down to Beale street to grab some dinner. Just walking down the trolley line I was blown away by the amount of fans I that made the trip. By the time I had gotten down to Johnny G's for some shrimp and beer I simply could not believe how dedicated the Iowa State fan base was to travel to the Liberty Bowl. Johnny G's was packed out with fans watching the Cowboys and Redskins play. I still had on my Razorbacks Tshirt and got a Woo Pig Sooie from two different Cyclones fans. After dinner we went down to grab a night cap and listen to some music, again tons of Iowa State fans everywhere. I talked to a few of you in between songs and all were extremely nice and seemed to have a good time all around. Finally left around 1am and got treated to a 2 block foot race between two (slightly inebriated) Cyclones fans just having the time of there lives.

I am a transplant to Memphis and have fallen in love with downtown, the fun, the food and general festivities that the city has to offer. Of all the events I have gone to here, you guys have far and away the most impressive fan base I have seen. From now on I will be keeping a close eye on the Cyclones and following them the same way I do the Hogs and Irish.

Last edited by tcmem; 01-02-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,465
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 287

Re: New ISU Fan - Memphian

Quote Originally Posted by tcmem View Post
    Hey guys and gals, I just wanted to tell you all how thoroughly impressed I am with the Iowa State fan base. I am originally from south Arkansas and moved to downtown Memphis after college. I love my Hogs and when I first started watching football back in the late 80s, I fell in love with Notre Dame. The only other team I pull for is the LA/ now Oakland Raiders. Needless to say I have been a very sad football fan most of the last 20 years. In general I am I die hard college football fan, I travel to teams stadiums that I don't even root for just to catch a game. I love this sport.

I had known of the Cyclones back in the 90s when Troy Davis was running wild and have caught a few of the upsets the Cyclones have been involved in over the years. When Petrino was fired back in the spring Paul Rhodes name was brought up by some of the media and fans and I did a little digging back then and it appears that given time he will have ISU consistently winning.

I had gotten back in town Sunday evening (around 9:30, the 30th) and made the four block walk down to Beale street to grab some dinner. Just walking down the trolley line I was blown away by the amount of fans I that made the trip. By the time I had gotten down to Johnny G's for some shrimp and beer I simply could not believe how dedicated the Iowa State fan base was to travel to the Liberty Bowl. Johnny G's was packed out with fans watching the Cowboys and Redskins play. I still had on my Razorbacks Tshirt and got a Woo Pig Sooie from two different Cyclones fans. After dinner we went down to grab a night cap and listen to some music, again tons of Iowa State fans everywhere. I talked to a few of you in between songs and all were extremely nice and seemed to have a good time all around. Finally left around 1am and got treated to a 2 block foot race between two (slightly inebriated) Cyclones fans just having the time of there lives.

I am a transplant to Memphis and have fallen in love with downtown, the fun, the food and general festivities that the city has to offer. Of all the events I have gone to here, you guys have far and away the most impressive fan base I have seen. From now on I will be keeping a close eye on the Cyclones and following them the same way I do the Hogs and Irish.
    Welcome! We can use all of the Cyclone fans that we can get!

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 8

Great to hear man! I was in Memphis and brought 12 total. We were treated very nicely and got a lot of "wow, you guys really turn out for a bowl game".Hope you pick up a t shirt or 2 or make it up for a game and spread the word on ISU!!! Glad to have you as a new member of cyclONE nation!

I WAS THERE!!!!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 28

hopefully you can make the trip to ames iowa for a game at the jack and some tailgating with some cyclone fans! glad to have you part of cyclONEnation!

Prospect
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Ill be picking up a shirt for sure. I work in the aviation industry and can get a round trip ticket from Memphis to Des Moines for under $100, so I'll probably make a game in 2014 (2013 game schedule already full).

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 191
    Given: 126

As others have said, you should make the drive to Ames for a game. You think we outdid ourselves for the bowl game? Wait until you see our tailgating at Jack Trice stadium.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's always great to get new fans! Before I got to Memphis I had only heard bad things about it. After leaving the town I had a completely different mindset. The town, food and people were awesome! You are welcome up to Ames anytime!

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 876
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 149

I'd recomend a night game, all day ISU tailgating is tough to beat.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 162

You really need to make a trip up to Jack Trice Stadium for a game sometime.
    It's a hidden gem for tailgating in college football. Since we aren't a "brand name" football team, we don't get much attention tailgating wise. However, if you ask any Big 12 fan or visiting fan from another school, they will tell you that ISU tailgating is one of the best in the Midwest and Big 12 and would probably be in the top 15 nationally. Take that scene in Memphis and multiply it by 100. With ISU's history in football, or lack thereof, we have mastered the art of tailgating and drinking. If we can't win in football, we can at least party like champions.
    You should try to make it up for an early season game (before September is over) so the weather will be warm and try to make it for a bigger game (vs Iowa or Texas). Or, an early season night game vs anybody. Tailgating from 6am-7pm is not uncommon when the weather is nice for a night game.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Legend
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 162

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XPINRTVGWXIRIVF.20091007193653.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	17347

Name:	WIAQHBHWYVNNSGF.20090526125954.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	17348

Name:	5f5chg.png 
Views:	163 
Size:	501.1 KB 
ID:	17349

Name:	2vinwhh.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	555.8 KB 
ID:	17350

Name:	f0qdr4.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	17351

Name:	8x39rr.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	17352

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Prospect
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am sure I'll make a game (just will probably be 2014) and I'll be sure to hop on here before hand to find a good group of people to tailgate with.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 86

Quote Originally Posted by tcmem View Post
    I am sure I'll make a game (just will probably be 2014) and I'll be sure to hop on here before hand to find a good group of people to tailgate with.
    If there's one thing this fan base does right, in good years and in bad, it's tailgate.

Win or lose, we still booze. Welcome.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 565
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

tcmem...CycloneNation welcomes you! You are always welcome to have a beer with us clone fans. We may not be the brand name like your Irish/Arkansas, but we are a loyal and nice fan base. Walk up to any tailgate and you will have a beer in one hand and a brat in the other in a matter of seconds.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed us in Memphis! I know I had a blast in Memphis and am now a fan of your city.

"Die rebel scum" - Paul Rhoads

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

Welcome to the cyclone family, tcmem!

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 136

Welcome tcmem! If you want to be even more blown away, show up to one of our tailgates wearing the opposing teams colors. You'll still be weclomed with opened arms and all the beer you can drink! There are few fan bases like the Cyclones fans, and you sound like you fit in perfectly! Welcome again!

Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.