Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Defense vs. offense against UNLV

It seems like the big focus in the media and McCarney's comments are about the defense getting better. I think the defense will be fine. We are young and will improve as the season goes along. We cannot afford an injury but there is alot of talent and speed.

What I am more concerned about is will we have the higher scoring offense that everyone talks about? I did not see it in the Toledo game. Hick's last 7 carries resulted in no yards. Up until overtime, we had 318 total yards of offense and probably only 174 yards passing. Not great numbers against Toledo.

What I would like to see for UNLV is 450+ yards of total offense. I would like to see Hicks get either 100 yards or Johnson and Scales get significant carries and yards. That would leave Meyer with 275-300 yards passing. A performance like that would help me feel much better about what this offense can do.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2
    I'm sure if Meyer was told to throw 300 yards in a game he would. Its just a matter of him, in-game, being told to do that (a.k.a. calling lots of passing play)

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_ISU View Post
    It seems like the big focus in the media and McCarney's comments are about the defense getting better. I think the defense will be fine. We are young and will improve as the season goes along. We cannot afford an injury but there is alot of talent and speed.

What I am more concerned about is will we have the higher scoring offense that everyone talks about? I did not see it in the Toledo game. Hick's last 7 carries resulted in no yards. Up until overtime, we had 318 total yards of offense and probably only 174 yards passing. Not great numbers against Toledo.

What I would like to see for UNLV is 450+ yards of total offense. I would like to see Hicks get either 100 yards or Johnson and Scales get significant carries and yards. That would leave Meyer with 275-300 yards passing. A performance like that would help me feel much better about what this offense can do.
    To me it was obvious that McCarney was trying not to show much of the playbook against Toledo, which almost came back to bite him in the butt. I am not concerned what-so-ever with only throwing for 234 yards against Toledo because we all know that Meyer could have thrown for 350 if that was the gameplan. I expect to see a similar offensive approach against UNLV and then they will open it up against Iowa & Texas.