Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Engineered wood floor - opinions needed

Looking to upgrade flooring in our 10 year old regency house and after doing a fair amount of research, I think I have settled on putting in an engineered wood floor.

Anyone have any experience, opinions, first hand experience on wear, cost, etc of an engineered wood floor vs a solid hardwood or laminate? I'be looked at all the big Box retailers plus Lumber Liquidators, NFM and several others but leaning towards a floating engineered as hoping to install myself (spend a little more on product vs paying someone to install.

Floor is going in kitchen and front room, no pets, but we do have a 3 year old and a 6 week old and plan to stay in the home for 10 years or so.

Thanks for any advice/opinions, etc

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,573
    Given: 751

Re: Engineered wood floor - opinions needed

Nothing at all wrong with an engineered wood floor. It will have a different sound when you float it which some people do not care for. A floating floor is definitely easier and requires less tools than a solid if you're doing it yourself.

Addict
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,019
    Given: 500

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb21 View Post
    Looking to upgrade flooring in our 10 year old regency house and after doing a fair amount of research, I think I have settled on putting in an engineered wood floor.

Anyone have any experience, opinions, first hand experience on wear, cost, etc of an engineered wood floor vs a solid hardwood or laminate? I'be looked at all the big Box retailers plus Lumber Liquidators, NFM and several others but leaning towards a floating engineered as hoping to install myself (spend a little more on product vs paying someone to install.

Floor is going in kitchen and front room, no pets, but we do have a 3 year old and a 6 week old and plan to stay in the home for 10 years or so.

Thanks for any advice/opinions, etc
    3 year old and 6 week old.....be careful of prefinished. Spills can get in the joints and ruin the floor, especially if the base material is pressed wood. We bought our house with it already done or I would have never realized it, but our house has a "finished in place" wood floor (old style of doing it, they put the solid hardwood down, then sand and finish over it). The finish is over the joints, so you have much less chance of any liquids getting to the actual wood. I have a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old...I know about spills.

Prospect
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

We have two young guys who are tough on furniture, flooring, etc. We had the Costco laminate flooring installed and three years later there is not even a bit of wear showing. Looks great and very good value. Might upgrade after they are older.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

We really like ours but if you have dogs they can scratch easy

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 100

i have it, is awesome.. very soft though... mine is not floated, and i like that better... old floor was floating and felt fake. i have two kids and a dog. It well dent and scratch, but if you get that look of wood anyway you wont know the diff.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 112
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by 00clone View Post
    3 year old and 6 week old.....be careful of prefinished. Spills can get in the joints and ruin the floor, especially if the base material is pressed wood. We bought our house with it already done or I would have never realized it, but our house has a "finished in place" wood floor (old style of doing it, they put the solid hardwood down, then sand and finish over it). The finish is over the joints, so you have much less chance of any liquids getting to the actual wood. I have a 2.5 year old and a 4 month old...I know about spills.
    Site finished floors will still gap. The urethane does not have elasticity to stretch across the gap that will happen during the first fall/winter. There is absolutely no difference between site finished and prefinished when it comes to dealing with spills. If something gets spilled, wipe it up as soon as possible.

It is much harder to judge engineered floors than it is to judge solid floors. The top hardwood layer of floors can be an almost microscopic veneer, or can be every bit as thick at the wear surface of a solid. Most engineered floors are roto cut, which distorts the grain of the wood. Slice cut wood, for most people, is more visually appealing, but also costs more.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 893
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 170

I hate, hate the sound of the floated floors. It is loud and obnoxious. I live in a 100 year old house with original wood floors. - That's what a wood floor should sound like when you walk on it.

"It's a jungle out there kiddies. Have a very fruitful day.
    J. Buffett

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYclist View Post
    Site finished floors will still gap. The urethane does not have elasticity to stretch across the gap that will happen during the first fall/winter. There is absolutely no difference between site finished and prefinished when it comes to dealing with spills. If something gets spilled, wipe it up as soon as possible.

It is much harder to judge engineered floors than it is to judge solid floors. The top hardwood layer of floors can be an almost microscopic veneer, or can be every bit as thick at the wear surface of a solid. Most engineered floors are roto cut, which distorts the grain of the wood. Slice cut wood, for most people, is more visually appealing, but also costs more.

I agree. Rotary cut has the look of plywood (repetitive grain patterns). Some people will notice this right away, some will not care.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 999
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118

We had it in our previous house and ended up wishing we went with laminate. The finish scratched very easily. It was to the point that even with felt pads on chairs, any amount of dust on the bottom of the pads would scratch the floor when you slide the chair out. Also, the surface was so soft that it left lines of indented wood where we rolled the fridge into place.

It looked good at the start, but didn't hold up well.

Prospect
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the info thus far. Seems like everything I've read thus far, some people have had great experiences with an engineered floor, others not so much. I guess it probably all boils down to personal preference.

I have access to the tools for a nail or staple down floor, so that is not out of the question yet, just thought the click type flooring would be easier. I understand what some have said about the feeling and sound of a floating floor, but I've been on some that have been really good, and others that have been really noticable, but most of those were a laminate floating floor, not an engineered floating floor. I would think there would be a difference, but maybe not.

I haven't checked Costco yet as I know sometimes they run some specials so that might be might next stop. I haven't completed ruled out laminate yet either as they seem to have really come a long ways in the past couple of years.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 52

Quote Originally Posted by bugs4cy View Post
    I hate, hate the sound of the floated floors. It is loud and obnoxious. I live in a 100 year old house with original wood floors. - That's what a wood floor should sound like when you walk on it.
    Squeaky? :)

"If baseball players speaking in front of Congress can be put on trial for perjury, then why shouldn't the politicians we vote for be held accountable to the same standard during their campaigns?" -Paraphrased from The Newsroom

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 52

I spec wood floors all the time (high end residential architect). Engineered floors are great as they tend to be more dimensionally stable, but you only want to pick ones with at least an 1/8" veneer on top. This gives you a real wood surface to sand and refinish if you ever need to, and it means any scratches or dents will be in the wood rather than the plywood. That being said, if you like oak, we find that plain sawn oak floors are about as good of a value as you can find if you like lots of grain character. If you want straighter grain, look for rift cut oak. The advantage of oak is that you can really change the way it looks by staining it. We use it as a base for most all our finishes. My favorite finish is straight up oak with a wax rather than a poly. The wax can be renewed if it gets scratched, and it has more of a natural look (less orange/yellow) since it doesn't wet the wood as much when applied. I like matte finishes as they keep you from seeing dust. I also like cerused finishes where a white wax is rubbed into the grain to lighten the finish. (Also avoid dark colored floors if you don't like to vaccuum/sweep all the time). Anyway, you can achieve almost any look with a standard oak floor, and you should be able to get it at a fairly good value.

"If baseball players speaking in front of Congress can be put on trial for perjury, then why shouldn't the politicians we vote for be held accountable to the same standard during their campaigns?" -Paraphrased from The Newsroom

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BKLYNCyclone View Post
    I spec wood floors all the time (high end residential architect). Engineered floors are great as they tend to be more dimensionally stable, but you only want to pick ones with at least an 1/8" veneer on top. This gives you a real wood surface to sand and refinish if you ever need to, and it means any scratches or dents will be in the wood rather than the plywood. That being said, if you like oak, we find that plain sawn oak floors are about as good of a value as you can find if you like lots of grain character. If you want straighter grain, look for rift cut oak. The advantage of oak is that you can really change the way it looks by staining it. We use it as a base for most all our finishes. My favorite finish is straight up oak with a wax rather than a poly. The wax can be renewed if it gets scratched, and it has more of a natural look (less orange/yellow) since it doesn't wet the wood as much when applied. I like matte finishes as they keep you from seeing dust. I also like cerused finishes where a white wax is rubbed into the grain to lighten the finish. (Also avoid dark colored floors if you don't like to vaccuum/sweep all the time). Anyway, you can achieve almost any look with a standard oak floor, and you should be able to get it at a fairly good value.
    I agree with you on the wear surface, but if it is floated, it is really not a great idea to sand it to raw (the floating floor will vibrate and cause chatter- looks like waves in the floor every inch or so).

Plus, the 3mm wear surface tends to up the price to the point where the extra work in installing a 3/4 might save you a bunch.