Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 32

Re: The sky is falling...NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    With the talent on this team, we should've won 8 or 9 games this year. Then again, their were a few games we could've lost (example, Iowa had multiple times they could've scored but O'Keefed it up.)

The reason we lost this game is because 75% of our players forgot basic fundamentals. Catching a ball before you start running, how to kick a fricken ball through the field goal, and how to make a simple tackle.

Oh, and our o-line was terrible.

But I trust Rhoads. We will be back bowling next year. We will win 4 Big XII games. And he's going to continue making the talent level better here at Iowa State.

But at next years bowl game, he needs to make sure Messingham is awake, and the players are there to play for 60 minutes, not 15.
    This team is possibly Rhoads's most talented, but to say it should have won 8 or 9 games in the Big 12 shows you have no understanding of college football. If this team was that talented, we would have a lot more guys getting drafted this spring then we will.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Quote Originally Posted by brother bob View Post

I figure it this way, we could be worse off than we are now. Would you all like to have back cheezit and his personality? CPR has brought back pride to this program (which was totally lacking for a very long time) and as much as the next guy I'd like to see more improvement but it takes time to build programs like the one at Iowa State.

Johnny Majors was dead on when he said during his interview that 'this is a coaching graveyard' but also stated that CPR is the right man for the job and I believe that he still is the right man for the job.
    I'm so weary of this rationale that "we're just Iowa State" and should be happy with where we're at. Where was the evidence of this "pride" that you speak of yesterday?

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Big 12 is good, not great. Yes it's hard to win in the big 12 but this was a year that it could have been done, unfortunate we just didnt have quite enough together for it to be a break out year. The 9th place big 12 team playing a rematch of a conference champion and a team vying for best in their school history is not a great match up. JP did it for the fans, it was a let down on the field but not that hard to comprehend why and how it happened.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I'm so weary of this rationale that "we're just Iowa State" and should be happy with where we're at. Where was the evidence of this "pride" that you speak of yesterday?
    I have a feeling that these people were fans growing up in the 80s and 90s. Fans before and after that time period expect more success. Iowa State has the resources to be a consistent eight win program in the Big 12 IMO.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 287
    Given: 188

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    You have to love the eternal optimists. Even if we were to only win 2 games, they'd still be here with their positive spin talking about how it could be worse.
    Is it really any different with the eternal pessimists where their lives are completely ruined because ISU happened to lose a game, and the only way they can make themselves feel better is by insulting those that try to find any kind of silver lining?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 555
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Luth4Cy View Post
    This team is possibly Rhoads's most talented, but to say it should have won 8 or 9 games in the Big 12 shows you have no understanding of college football. If this team was that talented, we would have a lot more guys getting drafted this spring then we will.
    Agree - things are getting better but we still lack a lot in talent. I just thought our talent was closer to what Tulsa has.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 622
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    I have a feeling that these people were fans growing up in the 80s and 90s. Fans before and after that time period expect more success. Iowa State has the resources to be a consistent eight win program in the Big 12 IMO.
    Every team in the big 12 has the resources to win 8 games, Iowa state happens to be at the farthest north outpost of the recruiting area. Thats just a fact mot an excuse. Minnesota also stinks and missouri will stink in the SEC for the same reason. It's not expectations that are lacking, rather results. The Iowa state pendulum has been suck, create hope, mediocre bowls, unrest and suck again. Right now we are in mediocre bowls with .500 Results. CPR is trying to make .500 the low end of the pendulum, he has done it 3 of 4 years and done it winning ugly at times with incomplete talent. Hoping he can get beyond that and reward the expectations he has established reality in the next 4.

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 891
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124

Quote Originally Posted by cygrads View Post
    Agree - things are getting better but we still lack a lot in talent. I just thought our talent was closer to what Tulsa has.
    Talent is probably better than what Tulsa has. Talent is a really hard thing to judge whether the person judging it is a professional football coach or not. I, like a few on here are trying to reflect the season as a whole rather than one game. We lost one game to a good football team we probably should of beat, but the season as a whole is a different story.

Starter
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

These seniors inherited a team with ten straight losses, they should be proud of their accomplishments. I was so mad yesterday it was almost as pathetic as the performance on the field. The reality is the talent is being upgraded but it still as a long way to go. Rebuilding jobs are easier in other conferences where the competition is not as good or style of play is different. With so many spread offensives team speed and top flight talent at the skill positions is paramount. Upgrading talent and having enough talent to win 9 games is different.

Eternal Optimist

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Is it really any different with the eternal pessimists where their lives are completely ruined because ISU happened to lose a game, and the only way they can make themselves feel better is by insulting those that try to find any kind of silver lining?
    Oh god, and now the amateur psychiatrists come out, thinking they have superpowers that let them discover the mental states of people's lives off of their message board posts...

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 119

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Oh god, and now the amateur psychiatrists come out, thinking they have superpowers that let them discover the mental states of people's lives off of their message board posts...
    ??? I'm pretty sure he was just being sarcastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by clone136 View Post
    These seniors inherited a team with ten straight losses, they should be proud of their accomplishments. I was so mad yesterday it was almost as pathetic as the performance on the field. The reality is the talent is being upgraded but it still as a long way to go. Rebuilding jobs are easier in other conferences where the competition is not as good or style of play is different. With so many spread offensives team speed and top flight talent at the skill positions is paramount. Upgrading talent and having enough talent to win 9 games is different.
    Exactly. There is a reason we were all so excited about the commitments of guys like Meeks, Curtis, Campos and Lazard--because we haven't HAD that kind of talent before. It's a process, and when you're not a USC, Alabama (or even an Auburn), it takes time.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.

Addict
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 33

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post

Wrong. The exception are those who were most in tune in the 70's and the 00's.

Check this **** out before making a fool of yourself:

List of Iowa State Cyclones head football coaches - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check winning percentages. Since 1922, we have had TWO coaches with career winning records. TWOOOOO!!!!! (Chuck Banker doesn't count, he coached 2 games).

Where does this piece of crap Paul Rhoads stand? 4th. Only one other coach with a losing record is higher than him (Veenker) Johnny Majors...hero of the game yesterday? Lower.

I'm not saying it means we should be happy with losing, I'm saying it's ******* hard to have a career winning record. The only coach in recent history with a winning record bolted for Ohio State. How long ago did our last coach with a career winning record leave? When Paul Rhoads was 11.

By all accounts, CPR could have left for a lot of places in the last few years. He didn't. He could have cashed in after the OSU win. He didn't. He's willing to stay here and take **** for having a 6-7 record, and he's willing to give up money to get better facilities. That's what it's going to take to build a winning program. Hard decisions, hard work.

Am I happy with where we are? Hell no, but I'm not ready to kick a coach to the curb who wants to be here, has made improvements (early on, admittedly we've stalled), and is making decisions for the long term success of the program, not just for his next ticket outta here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesince78 View Post
    You have to love the eternal optimists. Even if we were to only win 2 games, they'd still be here with their positive spin talking about how it could be worse.
    For a lot of us this is true. Through Donnie Duncan to Gene Chizek 2 win seasons were not uncommon and the one thing I see know is our competitiveness is higher than it has ever been. A 45 point loss or two per year were the norm.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Let's See.

Record Crowds at the "Jack". Record number of Cyclone Fans for the Liberty Bowl vs a team we played already.

Overall, I think Cyclone Nation is pretty excited.

DistrictCyclone

"The sky is falling..." kind of loses its suspense when you put the "NOT!" part in the thread title...