Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 80

Sit on it . . .

for several days or weeks. Criticizing the football program, that is. Unrestrained emotion in the heat of the moment will get you no where. (Well, venting might help prevent a stroke, I guess.)

Yadda yadda yadda yadda. . . . You don't think CPR is aware of the squad's weaknesses and will search for solutions? You don't think JP will challenge in a positive way CPR's thinking and won't be involved in serious off-season discussions with coach?

Mac had a gawd-awful season in 2006, Chizik's two seasons are best forgotten, CPR's program, after an important uptick, is at a plateau . . . for the moment. Iowa State's football program isn't going to arrive in a mere four seasons. It's gonna take grinding, tedious work over the long haul. Someone who's gonna be here for years so that the program doesn't take two steps back with every coaching change.

You think someone other than CPR can better do the job? That's a cross you'll have to bear. But we don't have a better option than CPR. He isn't going anywhere. He'll keep his nose to the grindstone. And that, my friends, is what we need most. A coach who will keep at it, day after day, who wants to be in Ames and will keep slugging along, from one week to the next, month after month for as many years as it takes until one fine day the program arrives.

Settle down and sit back. Relax. It's the most positive thing you can do for yourself and for the program. (imho)

Last edited by CyValley; 01-01-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 0

Re: Sit on it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CyValley View Post
    for several days or weeks. Criticizing the football program, that is. Unrestrained emotion in the heat of the moment will get you no where. (Well, venting might help prevent a stroke, I guess.)

Yadda yadda yadda yadda. . . . You don't think CPR is aware of the squad's weaknesses and will search for solutions? You don't think JP will challenge in a positive way CPR's thinking and won't be involved in serious off-season discussions with coach?

Mac had a gawd-awful season in 2006, Chizik's two seasons are best forgotten, CPR's program, after an important uptick, is at a plateau . . . for the moment. Iowa State's football program isn't going to arrive in a mere four seasons. It's gonna take grinding, tedious work over the long haul. Someone who's gonna be here for years so that the program doesn't take two steps back with every coaching change.

You think someone other than CPR can better do the job? That's a cross you'll have to bear. But we don't have a better option than CPR. He isn't going anywhere. He'll keep his nose to the grindstone. And that, my friends, is what we need most. A coach who will keep at at, day after day, who wants to be in Ames and will keep slugging along, day after day, month after month for as many years as it takes until the program arrives.

Settle down and sit back. Relax. It's the most positive thing you can do for yourself and for the program. (imho)
    I hope our team gets better, but I think some change needs to happen. Some position groups and the offense have not gotten better in four years or shown any sign of improvement.

It took Pat Fitzgerald 3 seasons to get to 9 wins at Northwestern.
    In Jim Harbaugh's 4th season, Stanford won 12 games.
    In Mike Gundy's 4th season, OSU won 9 games.
    We all know what Bill Snyder has done in the same time as Rhoads.

All-Star
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 294
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    I hope our team gets better, but I think some change needs to happen. Some position groups and the offense have not gotten better in four years or shown any sign of improvement.

james franklin won 9 games in yr 2 at vandy

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT I'M FEELING 22!

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

It's how we -- individual fans -- look at it, I know. But:

Put ISU smack dab in the Chicago Metro area and see how we do. Stanford has a rich athletics tradition and was a California giant waiting to emerge with the right leadership. Again, with OSU, location, location, location. Oklahoma and Texas. Iowa State has none of the advantages enjoyed by these other programs. The Cyclone job is tough, and, imho, isn't to be compared with most other BCS programs. We've got a longer, rougher road to travel than most.

And Snyder. His first seven seasons in Manhattan included the final years of the Big 8 Conference. Each of those seasons included either four or five (12 game schedules began in 1994, correct?) non-conference patsies. Even so, during his first four seasons at KSU, Snyder was 18-26 with one winning season. That compares with ISU's Top 5 series of toughest schedules in the CPR era how?

IMHO, ISU's football program is singular in its inherent difficulties, not to be compared with other programs. But, that's me. Others will hold differing opinions, of course.

I see light at the end of the tunnel, and it ain't an oncoming locomotive. But the tunnel opening is a fair distance to travel before we reach it.

Last edited by CyValley; 01-01-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    -George Washington

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 849
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 4

You think someone other than CPR can better do the job? That's a cross you'll have to bear. But we don't have a better option than CPR. He isn't going anywhere. He'll keep his nose to the grindstone. And that, my friends, is what we need most. A coach who will keep at it, day after day, who wants to be in Ames and will keep slugging along, from one week to the next, month after month for as many years as it takes until one fine day the program arrives.

Football programs take years to build, PR is doing a great job overall. I think he is thoughtful and self critical and usually makes corrections where needed. Doesn't mean people shouldn't discuss what is going on though. Nothing anything anyone says here really matters, but it's fun to talk about.

All-Star
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    Football programs take years to build, PR is doing a great job overall. I think he is thoughtful and self critical and usually makes corrections where needed. Doesn't mean people shouldn't discuss what is going on though. Nothing anything anyone says here really matters, but it's fun to talk about.
    I agree with you 100 percent (hence the "like" ;-) It's just the hang-wringing and whining is so annoying. Thoughtful analysis and reflective criticism is appreciated by many here, I think. If some want to scream "We want heads!" or "The sky is falling!", that's their choice, of course. But, reading that is like fingernails screeching across a chalkboard: Intensely irritating and without purpose.

Last edited by CyValley; 01-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    -George Washington

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,095
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 272
    Given: 229

Hard to take this thread seriously when this is the first thing that came to mind.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's how we -- individual fans -- look at it, I know. But:

Put ISU smack dab in the Chicago Metro area and see how we do. Stanford has a rich athletics tradition and was a California giant waiting to emerge with the right leadership. Again, with OSU, location, location, location. Oklahoma and Texas. Iowa State has none of the advantages enjoyed by these other programs. The Cyclone job is tough, and, imho, isn't to be compared with most other BCS programs. We've got a longer, rougher road to travel than most.

And Snyder. His first seven seasons in Manhattan included the final years of the Big 8 Conference. Each of those seasons included either four or five (12 game schedules began in 1994, correct?) non-conference patsies. Even so, during his first four seasons at KSU, Snyder was 18-26 with one winning season. That compares with ISU's Top 5 toughest schedules in the CPR era how?

IMHO, ISU's football program is singular in its inherent difficulties, not to be compared with other programs. But, that's me. Others will hold differing opinions, of course.

I see light at the end of the tunnel, and it ain't an oncoming locomotive. But the tunnel opening is a fair distance to travel before we reach it.
    Boo hoo.

ISU is not far away from Chicago. It's harder to win at Manhattan.

It also has something that most of these other schools don't.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 333

Rhoads is a good coach/motivator the but both are worthless without a good OC. When we've had a good OC we've had good offenses,it's that simple. If you're offense can't move the ball, and you're defense can only do so much.

Last edited by dmclone; 01-01-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 302

Need a new OC. Blatantly obvious. The playcalling and types of plays is almost juvenile.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 78
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 42

The offense has been garbage for at least 5 years in a row now. That's hardly "heat of the moment" type of stuff. I know I'm frustrated by it. Mustering 10 points against Tulsa just adds insult to injury on a crappy offensive season.

Everyone loves CPR but the offense has been unacceptable in his tenure and I'm sure he's well aware of it since it's costing him a lot of wins.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 870
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 561

I thought this thread was going to be about our offensive philosophy next season.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    The offense has been garbage for at least 5 years in a row now. That's hardly "heat of the moment" type of stuff. I know I'm frustrated by it. Mustering 10 points against Tulsa just adds insult to injury on a crappy offensive season.

Everyone loves CPR but the offense has been unacceptable in his tenure and I'm sure he's well aware of it since it's costing him a lot of wins.
    I'm pretty sure Chizik's 2 win team in '08 probably averaged more PPG than this team.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 639
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65

You are getting better or you are getting worse. CPR is the right guy, but treading water means our program is falling behind right now. The complete lack of offensive growth has to fall at the feet of the OC whomever that may be.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 6

I'm pretty sure Chizik's 2 win team in '08 probably averaged more PPG than this team.
    I'm pretty sure that his defenses gave up a lot more points. Just sayin'...