Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 25

Re: ***OFFICIAL: Yale @ Iowa State Game(day) Thread***

ISUonthemove nailed it: Last year we saw some emotion. Scotty brought the leadership and ejected it into everyone. Iowa this year, has the emotion. This year, we have no leader and no emotion. And really, who's gonna be that leader? Not knowing any of the players personally, I would say its Babb, Ejim, or McGee. Babb hasn't shown he can do it, Ejim seems to quiet, and McGee might be able to, BUT HE COMES OFF THE BENCH. I'd see what happens in conference and if Lucious plays bad, play Babb or McGee at the point, and Babb or McGee at the 2. We need an ejection of life, we don't have any.

Keepers of the Faith -- htiaF eht fo srepeeK

Keepers of the Faith is an alliance for those who are excited, enthusiastic, and optimistic about the direction of our men's basketball program. We reject the notion that one bad loss can derail the incredible progress of the past three years. To join, put this in your signature.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

If we play as poorly as we did today we are going to get destroyed at Kansas.

I loved Niang's effort today. Him and McGee were the reason for the comeback. I was really impressed with Niang being the middle man on the full court press too. For a guy his size he really got to the traps and the back across when they threw out of the trap much more quickly than you would think for a guy his size and that length really gave Yale fits trying to get the ball across the half court. Gotta find minutes for him and McGee, when those 2 are on the floor at the same time we seem to play a lot better.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 721
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    I wish this team played with more emotion and enthusiasm. I'm envious how hard the squawks are playing. I haven't caught a game where it looks like our players give a ****.

Aww, you arrive right back at the old quandary with that one.
    I can chose lightly-talented ankle-biters or "entitled" talent. The choice is yours.

Walk On
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 2

I'd like to see Niang starting. He seems to be the vocal leader we've been missing.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 3

If there is no leadership on the floor this year with 4 5th year seniors and McGee....who is going to provide it next year?

-Be kind. That is something you will never regret. You will never say to yourself when you are old "I wish I was not good to that person".

Starter
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 760
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

I disagree with those saying there is no leadership. Today, I thought that Babb and Niang both showed great leadership.

I thought that when Babb got the technical and Hoiberg sat him, he would just kind of sulk on the bench, but instead, he was standing up and yelling just as a good leader would

Addict
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 984
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dryburn View Post
    If there is no leadership on the floor this year with 4 5th year seniors and McGee....who is going to provide it next year?
    I think with a year under his belt Niang will become a primary leader. Jones will bring some experience to the team at semester.

Guys like Ejim and Percy don't seem to be super vocal leaders but can still perform and lead by example.

Clearly we'll need some huge things from our incoming class. MM and MT will probably have to contribute ala Iowa's young guys this year. That is proof that it can be done.

We have 4 3rd year players coming in but all with the exception of MJ are unproven. Hopefully between Hogue and the two bigs, we get one that really surprises us and the other two are solid role players

Hopefully between Naz, SDW and Okoro, we get a big surprise and one or more of them make big strides

I won't be real confident next year but sometimes ears like that can pleasantly surprise you

Last edited by acgclone; 01-01-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 7

I think Ejim is more of a leader than people give him credit for.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 241

If you like how Iowa is playing, go be a fan of them, I'm here for the long haul. They got beat yesterday. Did any of you expect the team to come out and play hard today against a 4-9 team? I didnt for one. I figured they would sleep walk to a win. Likely most of those guys were up a little late last night, they are college kids afterall.

We have zero bad losses this year, that should account for something. I dont know how this team will turn out but I saw Fred's post game presser and he is ******* ******, there will be a fire lit against KU, I bet they will play hard for 40 minutes and be focused win or lose.

Whats really funny is to go back and read some of last years post-game meltdowns, then compare them to post-game jubilation after a big win.

Prospect
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, you guys certainly have a long time to prepare for KU.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 59

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneVet View Post
    If you like how Iowa is playing, go be a fan of them, I'm here for the long haul. They got beat yesterday. Did any of you expect the team to come out and play hard today against a 4-9 team? I didnt for one. I figured they would sleep walk to a win. Likely most of those guys were up a little late last night, they are college kids afterall.

We have zero bad losses this year, that should account for something. I dont know how this team will turn out but I saw Fred's post game presser and he is ******* ******, there will be a fire lit against KU, I bet they will play hard for 40 minutes and be focused win or lose.

Whats really funny is to go back and read some of last years post-game meltdowns, then compare them to post-game jubilation after a big win.
    I really don't think it's too much to ask student-athletes who are on scholarship to play a sport they love to play it hard when they have thousands of fans showing up to watch them play on a holiday. If you do maybe you should become more of an NBA fan.

"The fact that anybody can say anything does not mean that anything anybody says is worth hearing"

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 530

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    I really don't think it's too much to ask student-athletes who are on scholarship to play a sport they love to play it hard when they have thousands of fans showing up to watch them play on a holiday. If you do maybe you should become more of an NBA fan.
    Exactly. You owe it to the people that show up, and you owe it to the program paying your way through school. Make the most of the opportunity.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Rookie
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I don't think so. If you don't like your "free" entertainment meaning unpaid entertainers you go watch NBA. These kids have a 5 month schedule where they play big time basketball that is like the pros in every way shape and form minus the pay. These are the dark days of the season. They do not get a 5 week break to go home, eat their parents cooking, sleep late, and smoke and joke with friends. OTHER STUDENTS DO ARENT THEY "STUDENT" ATHLETES? But of course lining the Universities money is the main priority so they have to play games for you when they should be home taking a deserved and earned break. On New Years Day when everyone else is off they have to play a game to entertain YOU and they get no financial compensation for it.

Now yes, the opportunity and education for the most part makes it worth their while. I am not trying to argue the hard done by case of NCAA student athletes. But I sure as **** feel sorry for the kids who play CBB from Christmas to New YEars these poor kids have my sympathy during that time and I just hope they don't get tagged with an L by a crap team. It disgusts me to see internet people railing on them while they are home enjoying their day off. They should get to go home and take a break to charge their batteries but no they have to pay ESPN and the Universities bills. College Basketball players from say...December 22-January 2nd I feel are basically slaves let these kids go home and have a break and come back refreshed and get to be kids. They don't get a break. They have to play games for free. Its a long *** season. I don't blame a team for coming out flat New Years Day against a crappy opponent. Yale weren't celebrating last night they were in their hotels 1500 miles from home getting ready for a game while ISU players who are just human went out for NYE. And I applaud them for winning despite this.

Last edited by SyracuseCyclone; 01-01-2013 at 07:46 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 920
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I was at the game. The first half was bad. No hustle. Looked like zombies. It seemed appearant they thought they could sleep walk through the game. Percy's post defense was impossibly bad. Couple times he spun around to see another guy lay it in or had a guy work around him like he was standing still. I really don't understand his bad defense. He has a great frame for being a wall in the post but seems to just have bad footwork and doesn't react to where the ball is at.

2nd half was great. Niang and McGee really bolstered the energy on the floor and everyone reacted. Clyburn stepped up and so did Ejim.

I also think that bad 1st half was partly on the environment. Marshalltown High School band sat in and was incredibly quiet. I realize they aren't going to be the trash talking band we normally have but they didn't add that home court advantage they usually give us. Also, no students. Student sections were filled with families with scatterings of students. Yale took 90% of their free throws to peace and quiet. Speaking of peace and quiet, Hilton was deafening with the silence there today. Only during the big 2nd half run did it get loud. There was a solid crowd there but I think everyone was down from the bowl game loss and probably a little tired.

Thankfully there was enough Magic in Hilton today to get the win.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 95

Sometimes players come out flat. Just like sometimes crowds lack emotion. Today was pretty emotionless, all around. Several fans around me didn't even stand for introductions. Flat team + flat crowd = emotionless game.