Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 517
    Given: 147

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,214
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Williams: A Liberty Bowl Letdown

I don't really think letdown even closely describes how miserable of a performance that was. What a crap end to an otherwise decent season.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 268

This may be worse bowl defeat than Rutgers debacle last year. We beat Tulsa earlier, we needed the win to be positive, we had ten times larger school, we had the home field away advantage, and we had CPR the cheerleader. This loss may hurt season ticket sales next year.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 283
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 11

I think we came into this year with a lot of expectations even though we had the QB controversy. Rhoads himself said it was the deepest and most talented team he's put on the field. Our defense was loaded with veterans. Looking ahead to next year, I see us losing a lot of leaders (which already started with Knott) and another QB controversy--this time between even younger, less experienced players than this year. Losing Knott made us a different defense... it's scary to think about others like Mcdonough, Klein, and Reeves gone. I mean, holy ****. Are we keeping any play makers?

The Big 12 next year could be favorable, it could be worse. I see OSU, Kansas, TCU, Baylor staying the same or getting better. Kstate loses Klein, so that is a net positive for us. OU losing Jones could end up being good for them. Tech, Texas, West Virginia also question marks, but those programs will always expect to beat us.

Unfortunately, it feels like crossing our fingers. There's nothing on paper to feel good about next year. My only hope is that the Rohach is the real deal as hyped. Which in Cyclone land feels about as good a bet as buying a lottery ticket.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,708
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 18

I do not see a lot of positives for next year. The OC has been in the program for 4 years. The offense has stunk for 4 years, a change is necessary. The defense is really bad without Knott. Missed/poor tackles and no discipline. FG/XP are the same as ever for Iowa State. I guess I am struggling to find the positive for next year. At most I see ISU winning 4-5 games next season and I am usually extra positive. I thought this was a season where ISU would win 9 games after winning the bowl game.

Addict
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,153
    Given: 238

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I do not see a lot of positives for next year. The OC has been in the program for 4 years. The offense has stunk for 4 years, a change is necessary. The defense is really bad without Knott. Missed/poor tackles and no discipline. FG/XP are the same as ever for Iowa State. I guess I am struggling to find the positive for next year. At most I see ISU winning 4-5 games next season and I am usually extra positive. I thought this was a season where ISU would win 9 games after winning the bowl game.
    We're not Iowa fans? I'll count that one.

Prospect
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I cant even be excited for next season after the worse bowl game i've witnessed this season.

Pro
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    Given: 172

Cannot buy into the "Bad end to a great season" portion of your assessment. We have to be past thinking 6-6 is a "great" season before the bowl game. It is average at best and only one loss away from bad and not even making a bowl. Sure beating Iowa was good and winning for Homecoming was lots of fun but that does not make a great season. What is even worse is we have seen little improvement on the field in the last 26 games and none on offense which makes me seriously doubt the common notion that extra practices from making a bowl are all that important.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 269

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Cannot buy into the "Bad end to a great season" portion of your assessment. We have to be past thinking 6-6 is a "great" season before the bowl game. .
    "But Id encourage all of you to step away from your keyboards and reflect on the year as a whole"
    Yes, that is BS. What the heck Chris? It was not even a good season. Acceptable, but not good, and certainly not great.

Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 01-01-2013 at 01:10 AM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 224

How many times can #CyclONEnation turn up en masse to celebrate a team that continually takes a dump on it's chest before it realizes "****, man, this team just took a big dump on our chest!" Record home attendance, massive showing at the bowl games, and for what? ****** performances. I couldn't have even considered it happening before last night, but these games are what is going to make these fans turn on this coach. Coach has got to let Mess go.

Quote Originally Posted by John F. Kennedy
    not because they are easy, but because they are hard ... because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 262
    Given: 31

A little perspective is needed. We really missed Jake Knott these last several games. A lot. Defense did not look that great. Cleyon Laing's penalty is the dumbest penalty I have ever seen in my life. Totally classless and uncalled for and absolutely killed any shred of hope we had of pulling out the game.

Richardson was definitely not the same after his big run and then taking that big hit. He was off. Combined with flu and the beating he took, it wore him down. Tulsa tackled guys and we didn't. I bet Tulsa had about 250 yards of rushing after first contact.

IMO, the weather did not help us at all. It negated any possible speed advantage we might have had. Kirby looked terrible. The Tulsa punter flipped field position a few times. Arceo's miss was not good.

We will miss Knott and Klein the most. No doubt. We still have a lot of talent coming back. IMO, the game was lost in the trenches where we were completely outplayed. Tulsa deservedly won the game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 102

All I can hope for now is that this miserable performance doesn't put any doubt into our recruit's minds.

We need an OC with enough balls to evaluate the talent and pick a QB. There apparently was very little difference between the 3 as far as talent goes when looking at this year alone, I realize and hope that Richardson is only a fresh and will improve. But at that point, we just need a guy that has confidence. Our QB, and entire offense, had no confidence on who was going to be taking the next snap all year long. That lack of stability is a bad thing, in my opinion. Competition is great, but I want it to end after spring ball.

Also, I can't get over our DT's personal foul. That did it for me. After they scored on that drive, I turned the game off and went to enjoy my New Year's Eve.

Legend
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 247
    Given: 269

Who were the leaders on offense? I am sure there were great leaders, but on the playing field on game day we could have used more.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 957
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Cannot buy into the "Bad end to a great season" portion of your assessment. We have to be past thinking 6-6 is a "great" season before the bowl game. It is average at best and only one loss away from bad and not even making a bowl. Sure beating Iowa was good and winning for Homecoming was lots of fun but that does not make a great season. What is even worse is we have seen little improvement on the field in the last 26 games and none on offense which makes me seriously doubt the common notion that extra practices from making a bowl are all that important.
    Totally agree. Good season, not great. Had we finished off K-state and got Tech or WVU, call it great. I hate to say it, but our Iowa win was nothing special, all things considered.

9th out of 10 teams is never a great year. And the league is the league, gotta quit using that as an excuse.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 30

It really feels like we are about to fall off the football cliff after that game. All of the real impact players on this team were on defense and were seniors. The TE was really the only bright spot on the offense this year. If CPR can get the Clones to a bowl next year, it will be a pretty amazing feat and proof the team is heading in the right direction.

Would like to see a new O line coach, as this has been a very disappointing group the last 3 years, even with clearly talented players. I don''t know enough to be sure the coach is the whole issue.