Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 75

Arnaud, Meyer, Bates

A couple observations about the QB position.

-Meyer attempted nearly twice as many passes as Arnaud, yet only threw for 20 more yards. A very telling statistic about the differences in the game of Meyer vs Arnaud. I remember watching Jon Davis running the deep post pattern time after time the past few years and being wide open, but Meyer never threw it to him. It seems like Arnaud look for that throw as his favorite route. This is a product of arm strength.

-I am very high on AA, but he still looks a little soft in his arms. I can see why the staff thinks he will play at 240 next year. I can't wait to see what he looks like after a year in the weight training program.

-Did anyone find it interesting that Bates didn't get anytime at QB Saturday? I would have thought with the game being as out of hand as it was that the coaches would have gave him a look. I was thinking maybe injury, but they did try a reverse with him, and threw a couple balls his way. I think it is a pretty clear sign that at this point, AA is the clear leader for the QB job next year. I think that's a good think, because Bates could have the same kind of impact for us that Meir does for KU. Bates is probably a bit better athlete than Meir even.

Just a few thoughts on a Sunday before I have to go start smoking a turkey!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Arnaud, Meyer, Bates

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436

Haha, nice. That's why I like this board!

Giving it a go
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    Your are starting to get more gutsy on your picture posting again.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,368
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 49

I am guessing that Bates knows very few plays. However the competition for next season starts today. If AA does win the battle, I hope Bates stays at WR and if Bates wins I hope AA finds another position, ISU needs both these kids on the field.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    I remember watching Jon Davis running the deep post pattern time after time the past few years and being wide open, but Meyer never threw it to him.
    Do you remember Jon Davis dropping many of these balls? I do! Davis running wide open, Meyer throws a nice ball and Whoops...hits Davis in the worst spot, the hands and the ball drops to the turf.

Legend
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Anyone else find it interesting that with the game totally out of hand, AA played the last couple of drives insted of the graduating senior Bret Meyer? I mean I understand giving AA most of the last snaps but Meyer got none of the final drives. Guess a "Thank you and don't let the door hit you on the *** on your way out" is in order here...

Oh we will fight, fight, fight for Iowa State,
    and may her colors ever fly!!!
    In Accordance with Prophecy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

Don't forget Jerome Tiller the QB from Texas. He may well be in the mix next season. The guy looks like a stud who can run and pass, and he big and fast.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Don't forget Jerome Tiller the QB from Texas. He may well be in the mix next season. The guy looks like a stud who can run and pass, and he big and fast.
    I wouldn't count on it, at least until the second half of the year. Unless he can enroll early for some reason, it's tough for a new QB to get many reps and learn the offensive just from fall camp. That's probably the reason we saw little of Bates at QB this season and more of AA. Spring workouts under his belt and knew the offense better.

The staff must have had a gun to their head regarding Bates playing this year. Pulling his redshirt sure looks like a mistake now. He didn't contribute much at all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,122
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post
    I wouldn't count on it, at least until the second half of the year. Unless he can enroll early for some reason, it's tough for a new QB to get many reps and learn the offensive just from fall camp. That's probably the reason we saw little of Bates at QB this season and more of AA. Spring workouts under his belt and knew the offense better.

The staff must have had a gun to their head regarding Bates playing this year. Pulling his redshirt sure looks like a mistake now. He didn't contribute much at all.
    Don't forget his catch that give us the opportunity to beat Iowa. He is as responsible for that win as anyone on the team. That alone may have been worth losing the "shirt".

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone90 View Post

I would have to disagree only because Bates got to see live action. The one problem that ISU has had for sometime is that most players never saw the field because their talent level wasn't as high as others. Or if it was, they were redshirted to save that talent for the following year.

In my opinion, the guys might not have played much, but they got the field experience that will help out come next year. This is far more important that making him sit on the bench and watch the game.

Now lets put the situation into the perspective of Arnuad. Should this guy have redshirted last year. Well since you can never predict the future, its a hard call to make, but with the situation that we see now I would have to say no. Instead of redshirting, you could have done the same thing you did this year with him. Now you would have two years of limited field play, and stepping into his Junior year as the leading canidate for the starting role. This puts you into the situations of the USC's and OSU's. A lot of times their starting QB is a Junior or even a Senior. You've never heard of them, never really seen them play, but they can come in and fill the role just fine. Sure your switching QB's every two years or so, but that is more common than having a starting QB for four.

Last edited by guitarchitect7; 11-18-2007 at 11:20 AM.
    "You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,314
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 97

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    Anyone else find it interesting that with the game totally out of hand, AA played the last couple of drives insted of the graduating senior Bret Meyer? I mean I understand giving AA most of the last snaps but Meyer got none of the final drives. Guess a "Thank you and don't let the door hit you on the *** on your way out" is in order here...
    didn't think anything of it. Once the game was out of reach it is already NEXT season. Thanks Meyer but hoping AA has a GREAT career.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,477
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50

Anyone else find it interesting that with the game totally out of hand, AA played the last couple of drives insted of the graduating senior Bret Meyer? I mean I understand giving AA most of the last snaps but Meyer got none of the final drives.
    That did bother me. Especially the last drive with a couple minutes to go. I didnt mind the previous drive having him set, but you knew this was the last hurrah for the offense with a couple minutes to go.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 548
    Given: 346

Notice BM yardage went down game by game the last few weeks. What a way to go out when you have 10k rads for a career. Six miles of gains.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 931
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I remember our group watching the game commenting on this at the end of the game. Our collective thoughts were more along the lines of:

Thanks for all your great service, Bret. You have taken a beating over the years, and this game is out of hand, so... sit back, relax, soak in your last game, and leave your college football career healthy.