Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 16,740, Level: 39
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    446
    Points
    16,740
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 46

    Wills in Iowa....

    I was hoping to avoid spending hours on the 'net and possibly legal fees, does anyone know what it takes to make a will legal in Iowa? Do I need witnesses, how many signatures, does it need to be notarized? I dont have much personal property at all, no land or house. No spouse, or x-spouse, and no dependents. TIA



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 20,836, Level: 44
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 814
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    TigerCyJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Polk County, IA
    Posts
    1,141
    Points
    20,836
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 9

    Re: Wills in Iowa....

    Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    I was hoping to avoid spending hours on the 'net and possibly legal fees, does anyone know what it takes to make a will legal in Iowa? Do I need witnesses, how many signatures, does it need to be notarized? I dont have much personal property at all, no land or house. No spouse, or x-spouse, and no dependents. TIA
    man you weren't kidding with the username.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,019, Level: 85
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    aauummm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Altoona, Iowa
    Posts
    4,323
    Points
    76,019
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 4,351

    Re: Wills in Iowa....

    Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    I was hoping to avoid spending hours on the 'net and possibly legal fees, does anyone know what it takes to make a will legal in Iowa? Do I need witnesses, how many signatures, does it need to be notarized? I dont have much personal property at all, no land or house. No spouse, or x-spouse, and no dependents. TIA
    I use Quicken WillMaker from Nolo.com. There is a will format for each state. Two witnesses usually does it, and there are rules as to who they can be. It also can be notarized. A full set of instructions comes with the will software. Lawyers, Legal Forms, Law Books & Software, Free Legal Information - Nolo.com


    A storm is brewing.

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 22,989, Level: 46
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,105
    Points
    22,989
    Level
    46
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 90

    Re: Wills in Iowa....

    The Iowa State Bar Association

    In general, in order for a will to be legally valid in Iowa, a will must be (1) in writing, (2) signed by the person making the will, (3) declared by the person making the will to be his or her will, and (4) witnessed by two competent witnesses who must sign in the presence of the person making the will. The formal requirements of making a will must be strictly followed or Iowa courts will not recognize it as valid.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 419,017, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    19,276
    Points
    419,017
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,065
    Given: 1,866

    Re: Wills in Iowa....

    Quote Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
    I use Quicken WillMaker from Nolo.com. There is a will format for each state. Two witnesses usually does it, and there are rules as to who they can be. It also can be notarized. A full set of instructions comes with the will software. Lawyers, Legal Forms, Law Books & Software, Free Legal Information - Nolo.com

    ^^^^^yeah, something like this. We used LegalZoom. I think most banks have Notaries, or else the county offices usually do too.





  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 16,740, Level: 39
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    446
    Points
    16,740
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 46

    Re: Wills in Iowa....

    Thanks for the quick replies! I like the intestate (sp) concept, just dump everything on eldest surviving relative hehe.
    Also, what does it take to get a executor (intestator) powers to empty my bank accounts after I am gone?



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 76,019, Level: 85
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    aauummm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Altoona, Iowa
    Posts
    4,323
    Points
    76,019
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 4,351

    Re: Wills in Iowa....

    Quote Originally Posted by Transient View Post
    Thanks for the quick replies! I like the intestate (sp) concept, just dump everything on eldest surviving relative hehe.
    Also, what does it take to get a executor (intestator) powers to empty my bank accounts after I am gone?
    You name your executor in the will.


    A storm is brewing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM