Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

WOW, Big 10 Football REALLY SUCKS...

I watched nearly all of the OSU/Michigan game...my first full Big 10 game this year and the league is indeed PATHETIC!

It looked like a game in slow motion...the overall team speed is very poor.

The "skill" players are atrocious...overthrown balls, dropped passes, etc.

The schemes being coached are antiquated...you could have been watching this same game 25-30 years ago with the schemes being used on both offense and defense.

In short, the game was nearly unwatchable. These are clearly the 2 best teams in their league and I do not believe that either of them would make the top 4 in the SEC, the Big 12, the PAC 10, or the ACC. Heck, they may even have trouble being in the top tier of the Big East.

And the capper...the hawkeyes lose to Western Michigan...the entire conference stinks to high heaven!

It will be interesting to see how many bowl teams they get...they probably only deserve 2 to 4.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 706
    Given: 483

Re: WOW, Big 10 Football REALLY SUCKS...

Just keep one thing in mind - the OSU-Michigan game was played in a drizzle, and the field was very slick. Slippery field conditions is a speed equalizer and will slow everyone down because as soon as you try to cut or speed up you're sitting on your butt.

That being said, I completely agree with the rest of your argument. The Big 10 is filled with outdated systems that most of the rest of the country has learned to defend. If their persistence to hold on to these systems continues, a team like Indiana is eventually going to rise to the top of the league simply because they're not coaching outside of the Big 10's traditional system.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 378
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I don't think we're in position to say who sucks and who doesn't right now...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

I felt the same way throughout this season when I have seen Big 10 games. No creativity on offense for a majorirty of these teams. After watching the OSU vs. Michigan and hearing about Iowa losing to Western Michigan, the Big 10 is so bad. I was giving that conference way too much credit previously.

There was a talk radio host from Michigan on the Marty and Miller program. He actually said the mentality at Michigan is outdated, that they are stuck in the 70's and 80's where all they are concerned with is winning the Big 10 and going to the Rose Bowl. I think that is great but he said Michigan does not understand the current landscape of college football. (National Championship) He did say that Ohio St. gets it and I agree with that. Tressel is hands down the best coach in that league. His offense changes yearly to match his players.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,288
    Given: 631

The Big 11 is painful to watch. Normally I am excited to watch a marquee match up like that, but about 10 minutes in, I was looking for another game.

Starter
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I agree about the Big 10, however, Ohio State still has an outside chance to sneak into the National Championship game.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Just keep one thing in mind - the OSU-Michigan game was played in a drizzle, and the field was very slick. Slippery field conditions is a speed equalizer and will slow everyone down because as soon as you try to cut or speed up you're sitting on your butt.

That being said, I completely agree with the rest of your argument. The Big 10 is filled with outdated systems that most of the rest of the country has learned to defend. If their persistence to hold on to these systems continues, a team like Indiana is eventually going to rise to the top of the league simply because they're not coaching outside of the Big 10's traditional system.
    You sound like the ABC announcers trying to make excuses as to why the play was so horrible. I've seen plenty of games in the SEC with a field that has been rained on or has a lot of dew and the speed is still there. Ditto for games up in Oregon. Sorry, but I'm not buying the excuse!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 634
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 2

Come on guys, what's wrong with watching a game where every 4 out of 5 series are 3 and outs?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 706
    Given: 483

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    You sound like the ABC announcers trying to make excuses as to why the play was so horrible. I've seen plenty of games in the SEC with a field that has been rained on or has a lot of dew and the speed is still there. Ditto for games up in Oregon. Sorry, but I'm not buying the excuse!
    Think what you want - I've played on wet conditions, whether at the HS level or just playing recreationally. Playing on wet surfaces affects your speed.

That being said, I'll agree 100% - football in the Big 10 conference generally sucks (and that's something that no ABC announcer would ever say).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 186
    Given: 111

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone711 View Post
    I don't think we're in position to say who sucks and who doesn't right now...
    We're always in a position to say when the Big Ten sucks...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 8

I was actually excited to watch the Michigan/OSU games, but like a few others, I too was nodding off. What a dull game that was.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 69

The Big 10 is really not good. All you have to do is look at Iowa. They somehow won 4 Big 10 games and got pounded by W. Michigan at home. They also lost to ISU back when it looked like the clones couldn't beat Drake.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

I thought the OSU/Michigan game was not as bad as some of you here are making it out to be. First off it's possibly the biggest rivalry game in college football so you throw out a lot of your expectations and theories out right there that you would have under normal circumstances. Second, the weather was not ideal. And lastly, I thought it was a great defensive battle. Would you call our 15-13 game over Iowa boring since it was all field goals? Rivalry games usually are not typical games on the field because of all the extra emotion and adrenaline that goes into it. I by no means am saying it was an instant classic or anything but I don't think it was boring either if you appreciate hard hitting defense.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,182
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 22

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone#1 View Post
    The schemes being coached are antiquated...you could have been watching this same game 25-30 years ago with the schemes being used on both offense and defense.

In short, the game was nearly unwatchable. These are clearly the 2 best teams in their league and I do not believe that either of them would make the top 4 in the SEC, the Big 12, the PAC 10, or the ACC. Heck, they may even have trouble being in the top tier of the Big East.
    Most of the Big Ten uses these "antiquated" schemes, but look at the teams using more open offenses, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, mostly teams in the Bottom half of the conference except Illinois. If you can be boring and win a BCS conference more power to ya.

While the Big Ten as a whole isn't worth much, I wouldn't say that OSU wouldn't be in the top 4 of any conference, possibly the SEC, they are a pretty good team. Otherwise teams 2-8 or 9 are all very mediocre, but that makes for good parity.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by cloneu View Post
    Most of the Big Ten uses these "antiquated" schemes, but look at the teams using more open offenses, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois, mostly teams in the Bottom half of the conference except Illinois. If you can be boring and win a BCS conference more power to ya.

While the Big Ten as a whole isn't worth much, I wouldn't say that OSU wouldn't be in the top 4 of any conference, possibly the SEC, they are a pretty good team. Otherwise teams 2-8 or 9 are all very mediocre, but that makes for good parity.
    Just because Illinois uses a "spread" (it kinda is anyway), and was decent this year doesn't mean they weren't HORRIBLE last year. You could easily replace Minnesota this year with Illinois last year and noone would argue with you.

It's just a bad football conference at the moment.