Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pro Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thoughts on GC year one

I am satisfied with the progress of the team. I expected a couple more early season wins, but with all factors considered - talent, new schemes, etc., I think everything is on track for the future. With the resurgence of the B12 North, I don't know if we get many more wins next year though.

What does everyone think about where we are?

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

Re: Thoughts on GC year one

Quote Originally Posted by PolkCityClone View Post
    I am satisfied with the progress of the team. I expected a couple more early season wins, but with all factors considered - talent, new schemes, etc., I think everything is on track for the future. With the resurgence of the B12 North, I don't know if we get many more wins next year though.

What does everyone think about where we are?
    Well considering that Chizik is gonna have a full recruiting season this year and he is not going to have to teach seniors an all new system, I expect us to be much more of a force and WE WILL WIN MORE GAMES NEXT YEAR. Our schedule was absolutely brutal this year. Chizik will not let us continue to fall to non-BCS programs. I do agree the resurgence of the b12 north does not bode well and we may not get any more wins against the north as last year, but I think we stand a much better chance in beating a south team (Baylor, A&M, Okie St) next year, compared to OU, Texas, & TTU this year. I was very optimistic coming into this year and KNEW the future was bright when we hired Chizik. But I also knew there would be a LOT of growing pains in his first year. But still managing 3 wins (HEY, it's better than 0, 1, or 2) and playing some really great teams close like OU. Hell! Chizik had us up 7-0 on OU at half. It's just gonna take a lil more time to put it ALL together. But I am so pumped for GC year #2. I think we get the right schedule at the right time and Chizik will have us competing on a regular basis in no time and winning some REALLY big games before we'll know it. I just can't believe how fast this year went. It was a sour and sobering end to the year, but damn, Kansas has been legit all year. We've got work to do, but I am sure Chizik's will waste NO TIME, in preparation for his next go 'round. GO CYCLONES! Cardinal & Gold 4 Eva! Let the I-State era begin!

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

If Gene's anything like me, he doesn't wanna look back. But if forced to... I'm glad Meyer's gone, lord bless him for everything he's done in his career at ISU, but we needed a new quarterback all season. Gene was being politically correct by letting Bret take most of the snaps his senior year, but I get the feeling it would've been more bearable to watch/listen to (if only a little) if A-squared was guiding us. With that said, I felt that the way they brought along Austen was well played.

At the beginning of the year I saw Jesse Smith at the front of the depth chart and said "who the f's that?" He was a pleasant surprise. Certainly not explosive or overly athletic, but just seems to get the job done. Marquis Hamilton will be a beast next year! Catlett will succeed at whatever they put him at, he impressed. I think the lines improved a lot as the year went on, but took a step backwards today.

Overall I can confidently say that we got better at every position from day one to the Kansas game. None of us like all this losing, but we can all agree that strides were made this year. I just hope that the not-so-educated fan who bought tickets this year will realize that too.

I'm calling 6 wins and a bowl next year.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 52

We won't lose games like the ones we did against Kent State and UNI this year, and certainly not games like the Toledo game (I was there and still don't know how the hell we lost that one). Glad we get the "easy" South rotation next year.

Seriously, look at the schedule for next season and it doesn't appear to have an unwinnable game on it. Baylor will be going through a coaching change, so will A&M and Nebraska. CU and OSU both being on the road appear to be the toughest games, and KU will be formidable again next year but we get them at home and they will lose a couple of key players to the draft.

The 2 home wins to end the home slate will help bring people back next season. If we had lost those 2 games, or even one of them, the season ticket sales would suffer immensely. But as is, I think we will be within 2,000 of this year's sales. NU fans will still buy up season tickets even though their team is down, and may buy more than Iowa fans did (I'm working under the assumption that no single game tickets will be sold for the NU game). We're moving forward, and our schedule gives us a chance to build some momentum.

Addict
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,636
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 27

although it looks bad to lose to uni and kent state i would trade some miss steps to scrubs to get quality wins over big 12 north foes like KSU and CU and also a win over hapless iowa. Overall I am disappointed with the early losses but the season ended with me content and looking forward to next year. We got quite a home field except for texas game. Can we have every game be on versus network next fall?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

One thing I've been saying for quite awhile is that this season didn't feel like a 3-9 season. With the way we've played in four of the past five games I can't help but be optimistic for next year. I think the team will grow in the off-season and will come out better prepared than we did to start this one. It'll be a fun year, and I am reasonably confident of a bowl game.

My VERY early(and VERY optimistic) prediction, 8-4 (4-4).

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

I feel better about the hire of Chizik now more than I did 10 months ago. The guy is a winner and knows what it takes. That being said, Gene still has a tall order ahead of him and that was clear all season and today especially. The schedule is less difficult next year but we've still got a long ways to go in building up this roster from a talent and speed standpoint. Next year will be another of many ups and downs and more losses than victories IMO. I think next year we get 4-5 wins and hopefully we can poise ourselves for a run in 09.

Starter
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 2

As in basketball, the first FB season with a new coach was about as we expected. The schedule next year should help us - and I really think Bowen is our only big loss, so I look for about 3 more wins next year. We shouldn't be happy with 4-5 wins.

One place we really need help is special teams. I think we've totally given up making punt returns and there was one kick return yesterday where we looked really bad.

Rookie
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 554
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Next Year. 6+ wins and a bowl game. Hate to say it but probably a season like Iowa had this year. But we get a bowl game.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER @MARCBORC

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

this team looked alot better, Mcfarland deserves a raise for what he did with the offensive line, more disciplined. should compete well next year

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I am very happy about year one. Chizik's honesty is very refreshing. He is clearly focused and passionate about what he is doing and where he wants to take our program. I love his intensity on gameday. I trust him completely. Next year, I think we will pick up where we left off against Colorado. I don't know how many games we will win, but, recruiting and player development will keep improving and that should translate into a solid team on the field.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 4

We're at least a year ahead of where I thought we would be. Absent yesterday, the last month was pretty competitive football.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

With a much easier schedule I would expect 7 to 8 wins. Mac left a lot of talent Arnaud, Bates, Robinson, Hamilton.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 41

Whats stood out most with me considering gene is the rebound after the texas game. the ship could have completely sunk. the play at the mizzou game wasnt so hot but they stayed in it for most of the game.

agreed with 83 cyclone....ISU played damn tough for 4 straight games, and i believe thats a testement to GC. I really hate to play the easy south schedule card the next 2 year, but seasons 2 and 3 are supposed to be the main rebuilding and improving seasons for a coach and this may be the perfect scenario for GC and his staff. Its probably just as well they had OU and TU this season.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    ...Gene was being politically correct by letting Bret take most of the snaps his senior year, but I get the feeling it would've been more bearable to watch/listen to (if only a little) if A-squared was guiding us....
    What has Gene ever said or shown you to suggest that he makes football decisions or any decision for that matter to be "politically correct." I'm not saying Meyer should or shouldn't have started. But, I don't for one second think that Gene started him "just to be nice" or "not to make waves." no way.