Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 44
  1. #16
    Pro
    Points: 75,232, Level: 85
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,318
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tailg8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,479
    Points
    75,232
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 117

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaccloNe View Post
    This is like asking which is the better team at the bottom of the crappy B10 conference. Should I pick Iowa or Minny.
    Lolz...

    I get that you're a crapple fanboy & all, but you seriously think the iPhone is better than the top droid models out right now??

    Please do tell in which ways!



  2. #17
    Walk On
    Points: 5,238, Level: 21
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 312
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Springpatch, Illinois
    Posts
    145
    Points
    5,238
    Level
    21
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    I had the same situation as the OP. Original Droid Incredible. I went with the Droid Razr Maxx HD. Pretty happy with the phone so far. Few issues with the software, no complaints about screen or battery life. Probably the most annoying thing is how the dialer only shows the immediate previous call - have to make a second selection each time going into the dialer to see recent calls. Love the battery life. I don't even think about charging during the day. The heaviest usage days I've still got 40% left.



  3. #18
    Starter
    Points: 15,965, Level: 38
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    736
    Points
    15,965
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    I have had her for 36 years. I think I am a lifer. I signed her up for the class at the Verizon store, but she did not go. I think she just likes to have things to complain about.

    The video quality is great on the HD and the battery life is great, have never gotten below 40%, even on days when I did not charge it overnight.



  4. #19
    Pro
    Points: 37,038, Level: 59
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,566
    Points
    37,038
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 5

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tailg8er View Post
    Lolz...

    I get that you're a crapple fanboy & all, but you seriously think the iPhone is better than the top droid models out right now??

    Please do tell in which ways!
    There are actually a lot of things the iPhone does better....and this is coming from a serious Android user. You just sound like a fan boy on the other side...

    I have a Nexus 4 on the Straight Talk $45/mo unlimited plan. I save $45 a month on my plan, and have no contract so can move wherever and whenever I want. And the phone was $350, UNLOCKED. Google is really pushing the pricing with this phone, and I loved being able to tell Verizon where they could stick their $90 plan on 2 yr contract.



  5. #20
    Pro
    Points: 37,380, Level: 59
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    HOTDON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Dodge, IA
    Posts
    2,391
    Points
    37,380
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    There are actually a lot of things the iPhone does better....and this is coming from a serious Android user. You just sound like a fan boy on the other side...

    I have a Nexus 4 on the Straight Talk $45/mo unlimited plan. I save $45 a month on my plan, and have no contract so can move wherever and whenever I want. And the phone was $350, UNLOCKED. Google is really pushing the pricing with this phone, and I loved being able to tell Verizon where they could stick their $90 plan on 2 yr contract.
    I looked at this option, but in Fart Dodge, Verizon and US Cellular are the only carriers that blanket the area. ST is tied to AT&T towers, right? We're really getting hosed on the 4G revolution up here. US Cell has it up and running, Verizon was working on it but hurricane Sandy took all their techs. AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile aren't even pushing 3G to the area.



  6. #21
    Pro
    Points: 75,232, Level: 85
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,318
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Tailg8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    2,479
    Points
    75,232
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 117

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    There are actually a lot of things the iPhone does better....and this is coming from a serious Android user. You just sound like a fan boy on the other side...
    1st off, what does the iPhone do better? I know android doesn't do every single thing better, but I think they do the majority of things better at the same or lower price than the iPhone.

    & I don't mean to come off as an android fanboy, it just irritates me when mac users act like their phone came directly from God himself. (In an android specific thread, at that)

    I wouldn't be opposed to an iPhone 5, I just don't see the point in paying more for one...



  7. #22
    Pro
    Points: 37,038, Level: 59
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,566
    Points
    37,038
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 5

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tailg8er View Post
    1st off, what does the iPhone do better? I know android doesn't do every single thing better, but I think they do the majority of things better at the same or lower price than the iPhone.

    & I don't mean to come off as an android fanboy, it just irritates me when mac users act like their phone came directly from God himself. (In an android specific thread, at that)

    I wouldn't be opposed to an iPhone 5, I just don't see the point in paying more for one...
    Before I get into what is better about an iPhone, remember that I chose a Nexus, so that should tell you a little something:

    1 - The App Store is still better than Google Play. Play has improved leaps and bounds, but many Apps originate in the iOS system and then migrate to Android.

    2 - The fit and finish of an iPhone is better than any Android device, save for maybe the Nexus 4. Obviously a couple of the Samsung phones are great, but they don't feel as much like a quality item. This includes the Nexus S. iPhones are very high quality phones.

    3 - The iPhone screen is still better than most Android phones. I know you will probably spout off ppi numbers or whatever, but you can just tell by looking at the phone. (Note: I haven't looked at the Droid DNA yet)

    4 - They are easier to use for the average user. I know this is a downside for a lot of people, but my Mom has a much easier time with an iPhone.

    And, you can't use the "Apples cost more" argument for the iPhone - it just isn't true. Sure, you can make this argument for MacBooks, but an iPhone costs the same as the latest and greatest Android device.

    On the other hand, there are A LOT of things that are better about Android, but I won't get into those here. Really, it comes down to personal preference.



  8. #23
    Addict
    Points: 233,948, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    klamath632's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,395
    Points
    233,948
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 118

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tailg8er View Post
    Lolz...

    I get that you're a crapple fanboy & all, but you seriously think the iPhone is better than the top droid models out right now??

    Please do tell in which ways!
    The iPhone has better lawyers.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Walton
    Think Oscar Wilde when he said, "every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." But also think Neil Young: the fork in the road, light a candle. Instead of cursing the darkness, let's light a candle for where we're going. This was fantastic for the world. We are better people for having been here. It was absolutely incredible. I'm inspired. I don't know when I'll ever sleep again.

  9. #24
    Addict
    Points: 96,584, Level: 96
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    7,399
    Points
    96,584
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 4

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Loving the Galaxy S III. Very fast phone, especially with 4G connection and the Jelly Bean update. Having one of those and an iPad is the best of both worlds. Happy Hunting!



  10. #25
    All-Star
    Points: 42,314, Level: 63
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 636
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    JY07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,141
    Points
    42,314
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Nexus 4 + prepaid is the way to go, if it ever comes back in stock

    you'll pay $100 over a contract phone, but your monthly costs should be substantially lower ($30 t-mobile, around $45 for the other carriers), and you could switch between them at any time. If you're worried about unlimited data, I don't believe any of them cut you off at a certain limit (although some are rumored to throttle it at a certain point).

    You'd also get out of the bs fees they tack on that seems to drive the bill up 10%+, as well as the delayed updates from the carriers/bloatware they force you to install



  11. #26
    Addict
    Points: 127,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    6,316
    Points
    127,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 38

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    Nexus 4 + prepaid is the way to go, if it ever comes back in stock

    you'll pay $100 over a contract phone, but your monthly costs should be substantially lower ($30 t-mobile, around $45 for the other carriers), and you could switch between them at any time. If you're worried about unlimited data, I don't believe any of them cut you off at a certain limit (although some are rumored to throttle it at a certain point).

    You'd also get out of the bs fees they tack on that seems to drive the bill up 10%+, as well as the delayed updates from the carriers/bloatware they force you to install
    This is a great plan. I would have went this route if we didn't get such a great discount through work. I only pay a little under $100 a month for two phones on Verizon. We didn't get to keep unlimited data, however we never came close to 2 gigs on either phone. Wifi at home and work takes care of 95% of our data.



  12. #27
    Addict
    Points: 127,578, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    6,316
    Points
    127,578
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 38

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    3 - The iPhone screen is still better than most Android phones. I know you will probably spout off ppi numbers or whatever, but you can just tell by looking at the phone. (Note: I haven't looked at the Droid DNA yet)
    I have a DNA and it looks pretty friggin sweet. A coworker with a new iPhone has been comparing the two phones with me today, and I'd give a slight edge to the DNA in terms of screen quality (he agreed). I also like having the 5 inch screen as I basically use it as a mini tablet and not a phone.



  13. #28
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 45,782, Level: 66
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,168
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cy4Patriots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,539
    Points
    45,782
    Level
    66
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Galaxy Note 2 is fantastic. I came from the S3 and the screen size doesn't bother me at all. Fantastic for browsing and email.



  14. #29
    Speechless
    Points: 401,312, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    20,862
    Points
    401,312
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 47

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    Before I get into what is better about an iPhone, remember that I chose a Nexus, so that should tell you a little something:

    1 - The App Store is still better than Google Play. Play has improved leaps and bounds, but many Apps originate in the iOS system and then migrate to Android.

    2 - The fit and finish of an iPhone is better than any Android device, save for maybe the Nexus 4. Obviously a couple of the Samsung phones are great, but they don't feel as much like a quality item. This includes the Nexus S. iPhones are very high quality phones.

    3 - The iPhone screen is still better than most Android phones. I know you will probably spout off ppi numbers or whatever, but you can just tell by looking at the phone. (Note: I haven't looked at the Droid DNA yet)

    4 - They are easier to use for the average user. I know this is a downside for a lot of people, but my Mom has a much easier time with an iPhone.

    And, you can't use the "Apples cost more" argument for the iPhone - it just isn't true. Sure, you can make this argument for MacBooks, but an iPhone costs the same as the latest and greatest Android device.

    On the other hand, there are A LOT of things that are better about Android, but I won't get into those here. Really, it comes down to personal preference.
    1- i cant think of an app that ive wanted anytime recently that was in the app store that wasnt on play.
    2- entirely personal preference. While the iphone may be all aluminum and glass and 'feel' more sturdy, a lot of times a plastic phone that 'feels' less quality actually is much more lasting.
    3- on phones, the screens all look good nowadays between similar levels of phone. the only people who can actually tell the difference are people with microscopes, or people who are seeing what they want to see.
    4. [citation needed]. Android is incredibly easy to use. While it might take some know how to work some of the more advanced features, those are often things that you cant even do on an iphone, so when comparing identical actions, its just as easy if not easier on an android. Android intents make things super easy especially for sharing. Just because it doesnt 'look' as easy and simple doesnt mean it actually isnt just as easy.



  15. #30
    Pro
    Points: 37,038, Level: 59
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,566
    Points
    37,038
    Level
    59
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 5

    Re: Best new Android Phones?

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    1- i cant think of an app that ive wanted anytime recently that was in the app store that wasnt on play.
    2- entirely personal preference. While the iphone may be all aluminum and glass and 'feel' more sturdy, a lot of times a plastic phone that 'feels' less quality actually is much more lasting.
    3- on phones, the screens all look good nowadays between similar levels of phone. the only people who can actually tell the difference are people with microscopes, or people who are seeing what they want to see.
    4. [citation needed]. Android is incredibly easy to use. While it might take some know how to work some of the more advanced features, those are often things that you cant even do on an iphone, so when comparing identical actions, its just as easy if not easier on an android. Android intents make things super easy especially for sharing. Just because it doesnt 'look' as easy and simple doesnt mean it actually isnt just as easy.
    You're right. The iPhone sucks!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM