Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 111,683, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,127
    Points
    111,683
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 308

    Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    For years and years they told you if you bought a pair of tires to put them on the drive axle. In recent years they've started telling you to always put them on the rear to avoid fish-tailing.

    I usually by my tires in sets of four but recently had a situation that caused me to buy a pair. I followed their suggestion and put them on the rear. The front tires are okay and I hoped to get through the winter with them but I find them spinning a lot even thought I'm careful to not accelerate quickly in winter weather.

    This leads to my question: Is it REALLY best to put new tires on the rear, or is this just a scam so when your drive wheels inevitably spin you'll think to yourself,"Gee, self, I guess I'd better replace those front ones too."?



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 23,950, Level: 47
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    cloneluke80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    1,627
    Points
    23,950
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 16

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    putting tires on your drive wheels is still preferred, cause if you cant move, you cant fish tail.... just my opinion...



  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 9,988, Level: 30
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CYCLONE STATE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    533
    Points
    9,988
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    If you have a flat/blowout on a front tire it's is easier to control the vehicle without crashing since you still have steering. Since older tires are more likely to fail it's best to put them on the front. That's the theory but then you have to live with poor traction and increased front tire wear (if front wheel drive).



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 16,487, Level: 39
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 763
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    PhillipJCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New New York
    Posts
    389
    Points
    16,487
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    I think I was always told or always believed that new tires should go on your drive axle during the winter. Better grip for control and starting from a dead stop on icy rides while on an incline. I wish I had my snow tires on my RWD 83 Mercury on Friday while driving through Des Moines.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 62,063, Level: 77
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,187
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    besserheimerphat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Posts
    2,689
    Points
    62,063
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 235

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    You really do want them on the back to prevent fish-tailing. Fish-tailing is much more likely to result in an accident than spinning your tires a little bit pulling away from a stop. Auto manufacturers use a proportioning valve in the brake lines to reduce the amount of braking your rear tires do for the same reason. Turning your car sideways is a bad thing.

    If you want to do doughnuts in a parking lot, use the e-brake.


    You can spend a lot of time and money picking out the perfect floral bouquet for your date ... but you're probably better off checking if you have bad breath and taking the porn out of the glove compartment.

    The moral: you gain more by not being stupid, than you do by being smart. Smart gets neutralized by other smart people. Stupid does not.

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 119,295, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,650
    Points
    119,295
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 110

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by cloneluke80 View Post
    putting tires on your drive wheels is still preferred, cause if you cant move, you cant fish tail.... just my opinion...
    This. New tires go on your drive axles. Fishtailing is easily corrected, lack of traction under the drive wheels is not.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 61,449, Level: 76
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 201
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    BoxsterCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, MN
    Posts
    3,737
    Points
    61,449
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 488
    Given: 423

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJCY View Post
    I think I was always told or always believed that new tires should go on your drive axle during the winter. Better grip for control and starting from a dead stop on icy rides while on an incline. I wish I had my snow tires on my RWD 83 Mercury on Friday while driving through Des Moines.
    Why are you driving a 30 year old Mercury in the snow? Heck, I am rep'in you for posting that!



  8. #8
    Rookie
    Points: 16,487, Level: 39
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 763
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    PhillipJCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    New New York
    Posts
    389
    Points
    16,487
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    Why are you driving a 30 year old Mercury in the snow? Heck, I am rep'in you for posting that!
    That's my ride! 83 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. It runs pretty good and still looks decent. The old lady got her Chevy Cruze stuck in her driveway so I had to drive the tank to dig her out. Women drivers...



  9. #9
    Walk On
    Points: 9,623, Level: 29
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grimes
    Posts
    216
    Points
    9,623
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    You gotta dope them and throw them on a rotisserie under a heat lamp.

    Oh wait that would be better suited for the racing forum that we dont have.


    If you cant dazzle them with brilliance; baffle them with bull****.

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 86,370, Level: 91
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Incyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,910
    Points
    86,370
    Level
    91
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 294
    Given: 52

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    I'm going to file this one under 'problems white people have.'



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 57,799, Level: 74
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,190
    Points
    57,799
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 487

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    Who is "they" and why do you hate your parents?

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    For years and years they told you if you bought a pair of tires to put them on the drive axle. In recent years they've started telling you to always put them on the rear to avoid fish-tailing.

    I usually by my tires in sets of four but recently had a situation that caused me to buy a pair. I followed their suggestion and put them on the rear. The front tires are okay and I hoped to get through the winter with them but I find them spinning a lot even thought I'm careful to not accelerate quickly in winter weather.

    This leads to my question: Is it REALLY best to put new tires on the rear, or is this just a scam so when your drive wheels inevitably spin you'll think to yourself,"Gee, self, I guess I'd better replace those front ones too."?


    I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 335,352, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    9,490
    Points
    335,352
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,021
    Given: 500

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJCY View Post
    That's my ride! 83 Mercury Grand Marquis LS. It runs pretty good and still looks decent. The old lady got her Chevy Cruze stuck in her driveway so I had to drive the tank to dig her out. Women drivers...
    Quote Originally Posted by AIBClone View Post
    You gotta dope them and throw them on a rotisserie under a heat lamp.

    Oh wait that would be better suited for the racing forum that we dont have.

    Based on the order of posts, I thought you were referring to women drivers there for a second...




  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 166,488, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    peteypie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    3,738
    Points
    166,488
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 508

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    This. New tires go on your drive axles. Fishtailing is easily corrected, lack of traction under the drive wheels is not.
    Agree 100%. Counter steer, problem solved. If you know how to drive, this should not be an issue. They are trying to save themselves from a lawsuit of ******** drivers. They put my new ones on the back once for me, so I took them off and rotated them to the front myself.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 335,352, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    00clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa City area
    Posts
    9,490
    Points
    335,352
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,021
    Given: 500

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    Cover your bases, one on front driver's side, one on rear passenger. Best of both worlds.




  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 208,518, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,643
    Points
    208,518
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 485

    Re: Installing two tires on rear of vehicle

    There is no universal rule since each car is different. Maybe telling us the year and model would help. You could be dring a 1967 Camaro or a 2010 land river discovery



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM