Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 104

Twister Sister Summary - Ladies edge out UNI

Iowa state got off to a quick start with Pop…starting for the first time in quite some time…hitting a baby hook. UNI was clearly going to shoot the three as I had suggested in the game preview. Things started strong for State on the boards and I hoped things would continue that way. Pop was a monster in there right away grabbing boards. The Sisters defensive pressure on the three-point line was pretty suspect as UNI got off several uncontested shots early.. And the Panthers were only effective from deep even making a bank shot to take a brief lead 12-11. Jess McDowell picked up her third foul with 12 minutes remaining in the half. This was huge. Our ladies would take advantage and move the lead slowly but surely for the next several minutes. The cyclones clearly dominated on the boards, especially the defensive end. On the offense end our height advantage and having McDowell on the bench was effective throughout the half as Prins scored several times.

Moody clearly was leading this team continually finding open shooters or driving the lane herself. This allowed the ladies in red to extend their lead to 27 to 15 with 5 1/2 minutes left. In many ways the Panthers were lucky. We missed several wide-open three-point shots. Make a few of those in this game could have been ugly early. One observation that actually stretches back a game is that the officials are not calling charge violations with pops patented flops.

The defense was superb in the first half with very few tacky reach in fouls. It clearly frustrated the Panthers. Our hands were quick forcing several turnovers. It was fun to watch. The end of the half found the Sisters leading 33-20, but something that has frustrated me for two seasons happened again. We have the potential last possession. Moody moves the ball up court with 11 seconds on the clock, drives the lane and mishandles the ball giving UNI a chance at a shot with 6 seconds left. Its hard to remember the last time we’ve had a positive last possession. That’s nitpicking though. It was clearly a very good half for our ladies with Pop leading the way. In addition, the last FIVE possessions all resulted in turnovers. Kalin was held to 5 points in the first half after scoring early. Credit Williamson for the most part.

The second half started just like the first. State’s defense on the perimeter was shaky at best and UNI continued to hit threes when they had the chance. In the mean time, we played fairly sloppy ball on the offensive end for the first few minutes. I honestly felt like UNI was getting away with beating on a couple of our players…especially our bigs. Much of the first parts of this half were a struggle offensively and UNI chipped away at the lead pulling within 7 with 13 to go. Yet, state would answer back and stretch the lead back to double digits with hard nosed inside ball. Think about this one…at this point in the game UNI had only scored TEN baskets. EIGHT were from behind the arc. That says something about inside dominance.

Man, a scary moment occurred with just short of 11 minutes left as Pop drove inside against a double team and was pounded to the floor. I could swear she hit her head, but apparently not. She jumped up and sank the two free throws like the pro she will soon be. I’ve never worried about Pop on the floor before, but I sure held my breath a few times tonight.

All of a sudden it was UNI doing some scoring and Iowa State’s offense or lack thereof was Kidd…unfortunately she missed on three straight possessions. Her shots of late haven’t even been close. Our offense was just ugly and I do have to give some credit to UNI’s defense. They stepped it up and did everything the officials would let them get away with. The lead was down to 9 with just less than 8 minutes to go. The difference this half was Kalin. As good as we were on her in the first half, she ate us up at times in the second. Our ladies just seemed to “want” to keep it interesting as we missed defensive rebounds too many times. UNI kept getting second chance after second chance and a four point play by Kalin brought UNI within 6 with 5 and ½ to go. It seems like our lack of depth was hurting us as we didn’t have a guard scoring threat besides Moody.

It was a battle and Hal hit a huge 3 to stretch the lead back to 8. After UNI missed two free throws we had both Pop and Prins around a single UNI player. We got outhustled to the ball and fortunately UNI missed the resulting foul shot. Hustle was severely lacking at this point. UNI would again pull within 5 with another 3 with 2 and ½ left. The back breaker may have been a huge, long pass from Moody to a wide-open Prins for an easy layup that stretched the lead to 9. Moody followed with a drive down the lane and it was a double-digit lead again. Iowa State would hang on by the skin of their teeth to win this one 67-59. All I can say is the second half was just ugly. UNI clearly out hustled us.

Player notes

Prins and Pop were dominant inside as was expected. Unfortunately Prins still can’t hit a three point shot. What she did though was mirror Pop by hitting for 14 points and nabbing 10 boards. She went off the court at the end nursing what appeared to be a sore ankle. Hope that it is minor. Pop was Pop. Scored 14 with 10 boards on some horrific shooting. Still very workmanlike.

Moody had a pretty decent game playing floor general and putting in 11 points, 7 assists and only 2 turnovers. What impressed me was watching her calmly hit 2 free throws at the end of the game.

Hal was clearly the player of the game. 21 points, 10 boards and never coming off the court. Her only downside was having the only missed free throw of the night for State.

Brynn disappeared tonight on offense and seemed tired in the second. I hope to see her come back Thursday with a better performance.

Game notes
    UNI lived by the three tonight hitting eleven for the game. They only made 21 shots. Kalin led the way with 19 after being held to five in the first half.

You wouldn’t know it by watching the second half, but Iowa State shot over 45% from the floor and 92% from the line. That’s what I’m talking about ladies! Nice work at the line. Second half we only shot 23%. Ouch.

Turnovers – only 2 in the second half. As chaotic as the half was this is surprising.

Next up? East Tennessee State who has only played five games this season and sits 2-3 on the year. They are clearly a team that we should beat and give our reserves some playing time.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 819
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 311

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Ladies edge out UNI

I am going to miss those live stats that UNI have for their games. Man, they are the best I have ever seen that fans can access live during a game. Heck, they are way better than most publish after the game.

Rookie
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 9

Kidd has got to start making a few 3's or trying driving it to the hoop instead.

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 36

I wonder if Prins was hurt earlier in the half, because she sat a good part of the second half. I feel that is why we had trouble in the second half. They were getting points inside, and Kalin and others were driving the lane and breaking down our defense. Prins is such an outstanding defensive presence inside, I hope everybody with eyes notices that. I wonder sometimes if Prins should even go diving for balls, she has such a large frame which could cause an injury. She is pretty valuable out there. Fennelly complained once about them smacking Prins' elbow on a shot she made. I had to chuckle.

Our big problem in that game is no one was hitting the outside shot except Hallie. That doesn't surprise me. We have had trouble with the outside shot away from Hilton this year. They should notice this and work to get Hallie as many three point tries as they possibly can, because she doesn't go cold on the road. I hope these girls will get their road shooting woes figured out, because if that would have happened, we would have beaten UNI easily.

I thought that was a tough game, UNI really pulled out all the stops and the refs were very casual, to be nice.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente
    Le dijo "Bien" y lo dejó como si nada
    Nuevamente... La princesa... Se perdía entre la gente (Jaime Roos)

Recruit
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 11

Maybe this was said already, but why no Amanda Zimmerman in this game? Injured?

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It was interesting...the depth used in this game was VERY thin. Two guards and Ellis as relief inside.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 766
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

Of course Brynn was tired. She was shadowing Kalin most of the game. :) She did a good job of that for the most part. Kalin is a heck of a player.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by casey1973 View Post
    Kidd has got to start making a few 3's or trying driving it to the hoop instead.
    I may have noticed a change in Kidd's shot since the first of the year. She was more fluid, and it looked like a guy's jump shot. Now she seems to have less spring in her shot, and it is flatter.

"Cómo te va", dijo el murguista a la muchacha. Que lo cortó con su mirada indiferente

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    It was interesting...the depth used in this game was VERY thin. Two guards and Ellis as relief inside.
    I also agree with this, we need another guard to step up. We also need perhaps another inside player to contribute.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Of course Brynn was tired. She was shadowing Kalin most of the game. :) She did a good job of that for the most part. Kalin is a heck of a player.
    Brynn got a workout. Turnovers increased too as the ladies tired which peaked around 3/4 ways through the game when we had three quickly-don't know how we survive without some bench development. Call me concerned.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 964
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by StClone View Post
    Brynn got a workout. Turnovers increased too as the ladies tired which peaked around 3/4 ways through the game when we had three quickly-don't know how we survive without some bench development. Call me concerned.
    There is no bench to develop is there? The only guard we have is Kidd. The other two are walk ons aren't they?

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 383
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYGREG View Post
    There is no bench to develop is there? The only guard we have is Kidd. The other two are walk ons aren't they?
    Yes...but I really think there is potential for Hagedorn to get some PT. Obviously she has to prove it to the coaching staff, but I think she is the best option.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We have Ashley Hagedorn and Elly Arganbright for guards. Then for front line players, there is Madison Baier and Amanda Zimmerman that coach currently isn't using. I understand he gave Ashley a scholarship. We have seen Elly often in the time she has been here. Elly rarely makes turnovers, from what I have seen. She is not much of offensive threat but might work to give Nikki breaks. Ashley, we haven't really seen enough of her to guess at her abilities. Madison and Amanda really couldn't contribute that much less than Fallon Ellis. Fallon played fairly decent defense, but in no way replaces what Prins gives us and she is the one that most needs rest, although I am sure breaks would help both Chelsea and Hallie. I would like to see the coach take a few more chances with the bench. There is no reason to over use the bench either, since the starters all are far and away superior to the bench players.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 964
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mitten1975 View Post
    We have Ashley Hagedorn and Elly Arganbright for guards. Then for front line players, there is Madison Baier and Amanda Zimmerman that coach currently isn't using. I understand he gave Ashley a scholarship. We have seen Elly often in the time she has been here. Elly rarely makes turnovers, from what I have seen. She is not much of offensive threat but might work to give Nikki breaks. Ashley, we haven't really seen enough of her to guess at her abilities. Madison and Amanda really couldn't contribute that much less than Fallon Ellis. Fallon played fairly decent defense, but in no way replaces what Prins gives us and she is the one that most needs rest, although I am sure breaks would help both Chelsea and Hallie. I would like to see the coach take a few more chances with the bench. There is no reason to over use the bench either, since the starters all are far and away superior to the bench players.
    Yeah, I think that posts are fine with FE and AZ coming off the bench and MB if we really needed her. I just think getting productive minutes from a walk on in the Big 12 is asking a lot. I really do not see any situation where putting Hagedorn in against a Oklahoma or a Baylor or a West Virginia when the other guards are not in foul trouble is ever going to work.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 766
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

I really do not see any situation where putting Hagedorn in against a Oklahoma or a Baylor or a West Virginia when the other guards are not in foul trouble is ever going to work.
    +1. We have a three-guard rotation, and we will continue to have one until the 2013-14 season. Moody and Brynn are going to get worked to death, and there's not a lot we can do other than wait for Kidd to improve enough to take more minutes from them. We need the backup post players to continue to earn minutes as well -- I think Ellis is key -- so we can run a three-post offense at least 35 minutes per game.