Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 60 of 60
  1. #46
    Rookie
    Points: 3,501, Level: 17
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    andymhallman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fairfield, Iowa
    Posts
    352
    Points
    3,501
    Level
    17
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 122

    Re: The charge calls

    I don't have a huge problem with the way charges are called at the NCAA level. I don't like the no-charge-for-secondary-defenders semi-circle under the basket since it forces the referees to pay too much attention to a player's feet and not at where the contact occurs on the body and who was moving into whom.

    The call that bugs me is the jump ball. I see a lot of jump balls called when there was not dual possession. A lot of times this happens when a defensive player blocks a shot with one hand and the offensive player comes down with the ball. The defender never really gets possession, so it should either be no call or traveling on the offensive player.



  2. #47
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 131,580, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,641
    Points
    131,580
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 801
    Given: 783

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by andymhallman View Post
    I don't have a huge problem with the way charges are called at the NCAA level. I don't like the no-charge-for-secondary-defenders semi-circle under the basket since it forces the referees to pay too much attention to a player's feet and not at where the contact occurs on the body and who was moving into whom.

    The call that bugs me is the jump ball. I see a lot of jump balls called when there was not dual possession. A lot of times this happens when a defensive player blocks a shot with one hand and the offensive player comes down with the ball. The defender never really gets possession, so it should either be no call or traveling on the offensive player.
    Agree on the semi-circle. I think it overly-complicates what should be a simple situation.

    On the held ball, this is not a judgment call that officials are making, that is what the rule is. If the defender gets a hand on the ball and prevents the release, it is a held ball by rule. So what you are suggesting would require a rule change.

    While we're on the subject of rule changes, I find the whole concept of alternating possession to be kind of silly. I think we should go back to the old way and have the two guys jump it up. The argument against this I've heard is it takes too much time. Well, instead of going to the center or the free throw line, do it right at the spot of the tie-up and IMMEDIATELY, like they do drops in soccer. Just a thought while we're on the subject of rules changes.



  3. #48
    Speechless
    Points: 312,881, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    18,026
    Points
    312,881
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,923
    Given: 7,631

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    While we're on the subject of rule changes, I find the whole concept of alternating possession to be kind of silly. I think we should go back to the old way and have the two guys jump it up. The argument against this I've heard is it takes too much time. Well, instead of going to the center or the free throw line, do it right at the spot of the tie-up and IMMEDIATELY, like they do drops in soccer. Just a thought while we're on the subject of rules changes.
    I like rewarding smaller guys for tying up taller players. A 5'10" guard who ties up a 7 footer should have a chance at the ball. I like rules that slow down the trend of basketball being a game solely about having exclusively taller players. The alternate possession rule and the three point line are two things that slowed this inevitable progression.


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  4. #49
    All-Star
    Points: 12,773, Level: 34
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    CY88CE11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Des
    Posts
    1,011
    Points
    12,773
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 348

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    Also, did anyone else see the Drake fan on TV calling for an intentional foul on McGee when he tried getting a charge call near the end of the game? Hilarious.
    Was this the guy in the front row, opposite the benches? I was watching him all afternoon. What a maroon.



  5. #50
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 42,026, Level: 63
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 924
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    wonkadog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    4,048
    Points
    42,026
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 351
    Given: 300

    Re: The charge calls

    I saw the idiot on t.v. Right before that he was screaming for an over-the-back call.


    "It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

  6. #51
    Speechless
    Points: 119,502, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    16,074
    Points
    119,502
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 199

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    I saw the idiot on t.v. Right before that he was screaming for an over-the-back call.
    That confirms it. He obviously knows nothing about basketball.



  7. #52
    All-Star
    Points: 39,158, Level: 61
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,192
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,078
    Points
    39,158
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 319
    Given: 273

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    Also, did anyone else see the Drake fan on TV calling for an intentional foul on McGee when he tried getting a charge call near the end of the game? Hilarious.
    Funny that others also caught it. It was on for just a split second but I remember thinking that he must be the absolute dumbest bb fan in the building.



  8. #53
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 131,580, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,641
    Points
    131,580
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 801
    Given: 783

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Funny that others also caught it. It was on for just a split second but I remember thinking that he must be the absolute dumbest bb fan in the building.
    Can someone post it on youtube for those of us who don't have mediacom? I gotta get a load of this guy.



  9. #54
    Legend
    Points: 143,817, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,385
    Points
    143,817
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,014
    Given: 818

    Re: The charge calls

    Yes, the refs took Gibson out of the game early. That was too bad because he was hot and it seemed like Hoiberg had given him a green light. However, we benefited overall from the over-aggressive calling of fouls. Ben Simons sat on the bench through most of the first half. And they had lots of their guys fouling out during the second half.



  10. #55
    Legend
    Points: 143,817, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Cycsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    11,385
    Points
    143,817
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,014
    Given: 818

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by CY88CE11 View Post
    Was this the guy in the front row, opposite the benches? I was watching him all afternoon. What a maroon.

    Actually, wasn't he wearing "blue?"

    And was he the guy who went out on the court once to wipe up a spot?

    He really thought he was a big shot and wanted everyone to know he was there.



  11. #56
    Pro
    Points: 139,751, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    iahawkhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huxley, IA
    Posts
    2,840
    Points
    139,751
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 79

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    That confirms it. He obviously knows nothing about basketball.
    I see this sentiment a lot whenever someone mentions "over the back". I understand that it's not a true foul (should be a push IIRC), but has this always been the case? I ask because when I played as a kid (haven't played since ~2000 when I was in junior high) I remember seeing plenty of fouls called as over-the-back. Did the label get changed in the meantime, or were the refs I saw just not calling it correctly?


    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

  12. #57
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 131,580, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,641
    Points
    131,580
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 801
    Given: 783

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post
    I see this sentiment a lot whenever someone mentions "over the back". I understand that it's not a true foul (should be a push IIRC), but has this always been the case? I ask because when I played as a kid (haven't played since ~2000 when I was in junior high) I remember seeing plenty of fouls called as over-the-back. Did the label get changed in the meantime, or were the refs I saw just not calling it correctly?
    It is strictly an issue of terminology. The term "over the back" has come to be interpreted by some that it is illegal for a player in outside position to get a rebound, even if he does so without causing contact. So I think the powers that be in basketball are simply making an effort to get rid of that term and replace it with "on the back" or "push in the back" or something similar, to reduce confusion.

    Another term they are trying to get rid of is a foul being called "on the floor," because it is entirely possible to have a shooting foul for a player who is still on the ground. The key is if he has begun his, what they call "habitual shooting motion." They want officials to refrain from using the term "on the floor" and instead simply say "before the shot" or even simply "no shot."



  13. #58
    Pro
    Points: 139,751, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    iahawkhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huxley, IA
    Posts
    2,840
    Points
    139,751
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 79

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    It is strictly an issue of terminology. The term "over the back" has come to be interpreted by some that it is illegal for a player in outside position to get a rebound, even if he does so without causing contact. So I think the powers that be in basketball are simply making an effort to get rid of that term and replace it with "on the back" or "push in the back" or something similar, to reduce confusion.

    Another term they are trying to get rid of is a foul being called "on the floor," because it is entirely possible to have a shooting foul for a player who is still on the ground. The key is if he has begun his, what they call "habitual shooting motion." They want officials to refrain from using the term "on the floor" and instead simply say "before the shot" or even simply "no shot."
    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

  14. #59
    All-Star
    Points: 12,773, Level: 34
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    CY88CE11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Des
    Posts
    1,011
    Points
    12,773
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 174
    Given: 348

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Actually, wasn't he wearing "blue?"

    And was he the guy who went out on the court once to wipe up a spot?

    He really thought he was a big shot and wanted everyone to know he was there.
    Sorry, you're right...that fan BLUE chunks.



  15. #60
    Addict
    Points: 167,784, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GMackey32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    Posts
    5,343
    Points
    167,784
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 383
    Given: 236

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post
    Actually, wasn't he wearing "blue?"

    And was he the guy who went out on the court once to wipe up a spot?

    He really thought he was a big shot and wanted everyone to know he was there.
    I watched this guy in the first game also. He put on a UNI shirt and was actively rooting for them against Iowa. During the intermission he changed to his Drake shirt. The guy I was with said he acts like that at the Knapp center too (Strategizing with the players, getting in the opposing players faces, going onto the court, trying to get the ref to call certain fouls, etc.). It seems like Drake has their own white version of Spike Lee.


    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydugouts View Post
    MM and gesell are pretty much a wash. is niang a better player than woodbury? of course, but that doesnt mean its a good matchup for him, especially with a much more athletic defensive player backing up woodbury.
    Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    NOY Edwards, K-State



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM