Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 41

Re: The charge calls

I don't have a huge problem with the way charges are called at the NCAA level. I don't like the no-charge-for-secondary-defenders semi-circle under the basket since it forces the referees to pay too much attention to a player's feet and not at where the contact occurs on the body and who was moving into whom.

The call that bugs me is the jump ball. I see a lot of jump balls called when there was not dual possession. A lot of times this happens when a defensive player blocks a shot with one hand and the offensive player comes down with the ball. The defender never really gets possession, so it should either be no call or traveling on the offensive player.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 238

Quote Originally Posted by andymhallman View Post
    I don't have a huge problem with the way charges are called at the NCAA level. I don't like the no-charge-for-secondary-defenders semi-circle under the basket since it forces the referees to pay too much attention to a player's feet and not at where the contact occurs on the body and who was moving into whom.

The call that bugs me is the jump ball. I see a lot of jump balls called when there was not dual possession. A lot of times this happens when a defensive player blocks a shot with one hand and the offensive player comes down with the ball. The defender never really gets possession, so it should either be no call or traveling on the offensive player.
    Agree on the semi-circle. I think it overly-complicates what should be a simple situation.

On the held ball, this is not a judgment call that officials are making, that is what the rule is. If the defender gets a hand on the ball and prevents the release, it is a held ball by rule. So what you are suggesting would require a rule change.

While we're on the subject of rule changes, I find the whole concept of alternating possession to be kind of silly. I think we should go back to the old way and have the two guys jump it up. The argument against this I've heard is it takes too much time. Well, instead of going to the center or the free throw line, do it right at the spot of the tie-up and IMMEDIATELY, like they do drops in soccer. Just a thought while we're on the subject of rules changes.

Legend
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 636
    Given: 1,250

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    While we're on the subject of rule changes, I find the whole concept of alternating possession to be kind of silly. I think we should go back to the old way and have the two guys jump it up. The argument against this I've heard is it takes too much time. Well, instead of going to the center or the free throw line, do it right at the spot of the tie-up and IMMEDIATELY, like they do drops in soccer. Just a thought while we're on the subject of rules changes.
    I like rewarding smaller guys for tying up taller players. A 5'10" guard who ties up a 7 footer should have a chance at the ball. I like rules that slow down the trend of basketball being a game solely about having exclusively taller players. The alternate possession rule and the three point line are two things that slowed this inevitable progression.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Starter
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    Also, did anyone else see the Drake fan on TV calling for an intentional foul on McGee when he tried getting a charge call near the end of the game? Hilarious.
    Was this the guy in the front row, opposite the benches? I was watching him all afternoon. What a maroon.

Pro
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 792
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 96

I saw the idiot on t.v. Right before that he was screaming for an over-the-back call.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 70

Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    I saw the idiot on t.v. Right before that he was screaming for an over-the-back call.
    That confirms it. He obviously knows nothing about basketball.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 64

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCubswin View Post
    Also, did anyone else see the Drake fan on TV calling for an intentional foul on McGee when he tried getting a charge call near the end of the game? Hilarious.
    Funny that others also caught it. It was on for just a split second but I remember thinking that he must be the absolute dumbest bb fan in the building.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Funny that others also caught it. It was on for just a split second but I remember thinking that he must be the absolute dumbest bb fan in the building.
    Can someone post it on youtube for those of us who don't have mediacom? I gotta get a load of this guy.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 305

Yes, the refs took Gibson out of the game early. That was too bad because he was hot and it seemed like Hoiberg had given him a green light. However, we benefited overall from the over-aggressive calling of fouls. Ben Simons sat on the bench through most of the first half. And they had lots of their guys fouling out during the second half.

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 305

Quote Originally Posted by CY88CE11 View Post
    Was this the guy in the front row, opposite the benches? I was watching him all afternoon. What a maroon.

Actually, wasn't he wearing "blue?"

And was he the guy who went out on the court once to wipe up a spot?

He really thought he was a big shot and wanted everyone to know he was there.

Pro
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    That confirms it. He obviously knows nothing about basketball.
    I see this sentiment a lot whenever someone mentions "over the back". I understand that it's not a true foul (should be a push IIRC), but has this always been the case? I ask because when I played as a kid (haven't played since ~2000 when I was in junior high) I remember seeing plenty of fouls called as over-the-back. Did the label get changed in the meantime, or were the refs I saw just not calling it correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkhunter View Post
    I see this sentiment a lot whenever someone mentions "over the back". I understand that it's not a true foul (should be a push IIRC), but has this always been the case? I ask because when I played as a kid (haven't played since ~2000 when I was in junior high) I remember seeing plenty of fouls called as over-the-back. Did the label get changed in the meantime, or were the refs I saw just not calling it correctly?
    It is strictly an issue of terminology. The term "over the back" has come to be interpreted by some that it is illegal for a player in outside position to get a rebound, even if he does so without causing contact. So I think the powers that be in basketball are simply making an effort to get rid of that term and replace it with "on the back" or "push in the back" or something similar, to reduce confusion.

Another term they are trying to get rid of is a foul being called "on the floor," because it is entirely possible to have a shooting foul for a player who is still on the ground. The key is if he has begun his, what they call "habitual shooting motion." They want officials to refrain from using the term "on the floor" and instead simply say "before the shot" or even simply "no shot."

Pro
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    It is strictly an issue of terminology. The term "over the back" has come to be interpreted by some that it is illegal for a player in outside position to get a rebound, even if he does so without causing contact. So I think the powers that be in basketball are simply making an effort to get rid of that term and replace it with "on the back" or "push in the back" or something similar, to reduce confusion.

Another term they are trying to get rid of is a foul being called "on the floor," because it is entirely possible to have a shooting foul for a player who is still on the ground. The key is if he has begun his, what they call "habitual shooting motion." They want officials to refrain from using the term "on the floor" and instead simply say "before the shot" or even simply "no shot."
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by im4cyclones View Post
    [Anything] is easy if you are content to suck at it.

Starter
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post

Sorry, you're right...that fan BLUE chunks.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by Cycsk View Post

I watched this guy in the first game also. He put on a UNI shirt and was actively rooting for them against Iowa. During the intermission he changed to his Drake shirt. The guy I was with said he acts like that at the Knapp center too (Strategizing with the players, getting in the opposing players faces, going onto the court, trying to get the ref to call certain fouls, etc.). It seems like Drake has their own white version of Spike Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.