Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
  1. #1
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 2,281, Level: 13
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    andymhallman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fairfield, Iowa
    Posts
    227
    Points
    2,281
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 39

    The charge calls

    I counted four charging calls against ISU in the Drake game, plus another offensive foul against McGee for hooking. Percy alone got two charge calls. I don't remember his first but his second looked like a flop. Niang's charge was too far under the basket and it was to a secondary defender, which I thought was not considered a charge according to the new rule, but even without the new rule it would have still been a close call. The defender who took Clyburn's charge was outside the circle but he looked to still be moving his feet at the time.

    The point of this thread is not just to harp on the refs, who I did not think were terrible or biased against ISU other than that they called charges too easily.

    What I'm interested in is statistics on charges. My impression is that Iowa State seems to commit a lot of them while the team rarely draws them on defense. In fact, I had that impression about last year's team, too. Does anybody keep stats on team charges specifically? What about offensive fouls in general?


    Last edited by andymhallman; 12-16-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. #2
    KFitzy87
    Guest

    Re: The charge calls

    One reason is the type of on-ball defense we play. Our posts swat alot as opposed to trying to draw charges



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 187,310, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,285
    Points
    187,310
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 74

    Re: The charge calls

    That always seems to happen vs MVC teams. In many cases the charge is such a BS call. A player gets beat and to help out and defend the basket a big slides in on or under a player going to score and gets a charge call. I bet if you watch BB games 9 out of 10 times a charge happens because a player got beat. Yes if you back in on a player or going one on one with him and he is set while you go to score, then yes it is a charge. But this calling charges as guys go full speed to an open basket and some guy sliding in is BS.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 93,586, Level: 95
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,464
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    3,954
    Points
    93,586
    Level
    95
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The charge calls

    Royce was good for 1-2 charges a game last year. Looks like Percy or Clyborn is taking that role over



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 170,480, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyguytillidie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    10,369
    Points
    170,480
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 78

    Re: The charge calls

    I thought the officiating was terrible. Not biased but definitely terrible.



  6. #6
    Addict
    Points: 85,096, Level: 90
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Erik4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    7,104
    Points
    85,096
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by cyguytillidie View Post
    I thought the officiating was terrible. Not biased but definitely terrible.
    It really was. I dread the officiating when playing an MVC opponent..just do not care for the brand of basketball that comes of out there and for some reason I feel like we are complaining about some really bad or ticky-tack fouls as opposed to big 12 conference play.


    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

    HOI-BALL!!!

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 29,872, Level: 53
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 978
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,055
    Points
    29,872
    Level
    53
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 9

    Re: The charge calls

    Drake had 31 fouls. We had 21. We got the better end of the deal.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 117,821, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,478
    Points
    117,821
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    Drake had 31 fouls. We had 21. We got the better end of the deal.
    Don't kid yourself....a lot of Drake's fouls came late in the game as they started fouling with a lot of time left to try to get back into the game.

    Drake's game plan was very similar to last year's (and hey, it worked then, why not now?). That plan is to not go after the offensive boards at all and instead run back on defense and get set, so as to prevent fast break opportunities for us. A by-product of that plan is that their guys were in position to just stand there like logs as our guys came toward the basket. It was obvious that their guys were coached to hit the deck at any sort of contact, and the refs were falling for it.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 62,344, Level: 77
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 906
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,568
    Points
    62,344
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 64

    Re: The charge calls

    It's really hard to see the value of the arc thing in front of the rim. Those guys were going to hit the deck every time anyone made a move in a little bit of traffic.

    I think that's what made it "bad" officiating, they called it close, then not so close, and close again.

    With the way they called the game, their whole roster could have been gone through by the 10 minute mark of the second half.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 107,857, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,949
    Points
    107,857
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 134

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by andymhallman View Post
    Clyburn's charge was outside the circle be he looked to still be moving his feet at the time.
    I didn't get to watch the game so I can't comment on the officiating in general. But in regards to your comment, this absolutely does not matter. The myth that a defender has to be perfectly set to draw a charge has been put forth by TV commentators who have never read a rule book. There is nothing -- repeat: nothing -- in the rule book that says a defender has to be set to draw a charge. As long as the defender is not moving toward the offensive player, torso-to-torso contact is a charge.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,851, Level: 71
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyCloned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Robins, Iowa
    Posts
    4,296
    Points
    53,851
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

    Re: The charge calls

    The charges were pretty bad, but whatg was really making me mad was all the moving screens by Drake. They would have their big guy set a pick at the top of the key and then when the Drake player came by to scrape the defender off the screener stepped into the ISU defender, sometimes two or three steps into the defender after making contact. I think they got called for it one time.

    As far as the number of fouls, Drake earned every foul called on them. They were getting beat off the dribble quite a bit. There were a few tick-tack fouls on them, but ISU had several of those too.



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 32,863, Level: 55
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    kilroy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    hills to flat lands
    Posts
    2,299
    Points
    32,863
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 19

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Don't kid yourself....a lot of Drake's fouls came late in the game as they started fouling with a lot of time left to try to get back into the game.

    Drake's game plan was very similar to last year's (and hey, it worked then, why not now?). That plan is to not go after the offensive boards at all and instead run back on defense and get set, so as to prevent fast break opportunities for us. A by-product of that plan is that their guys were in position to just stand there like logs as our guys came toward the basket. It was obvious that their guys were coached to hit the deck at any sort of contact, and the refs were falling for it.
    LOL, excellent analysis. True and right.


    I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,046, Level: 75
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    3,629
    Points
    60,046
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 12

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    The charges were pretty bad, but whatg was really making me mad was all the moving screens by Drake. They would have their big guy set a pick at the top of the key and then when the Drake player came by to scrape the defender off the screener stepped into the ISU defender, sometimes two or three steps into the defender after making contact. I think they got called for it one time.

    As far as the number of fouls, Drake earned every foul called on them. They were getting beat off the dribble quite a bit. There were a few tick-tack fouls on them, but ISU had several of those too.
    Completely agree about the moving screens. Drake players were literally pushing ISU players all over the court and were only called once. It was how their guards kept getting into the lane. Very frustrating.



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 391,228, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,080
    Points
    391,228
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 311
    Given: 257

    Re: The charge calls

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    That always seems to happen vs MVC teams. In many cases the charge is such a BS call. A player gets beat and to help out and defend the basket a big slides in on or under a player going to score and gets a charge call. I bet if you watch BB games 9 out of 10 times a charge happens because a player got beat. Yes if you back in on a player or going one on one with him and he is set while you go to score, then yes it is a charge. But this calling charges as guys go full speed to an open basket and some guy sliding in is BS.
    Yep, MVC teaches these her boys to draw charges. They seem to hustle more on defense and have less talent.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 157,788, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,471
    Points
    157,788
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 537
    Given: 402

    Re: The charge calls

    Officiating wasn't overly against ISU, but Niang's "charge" was the worst call of the game by a mile.

    He just completely schooled two Drake defenders, neither were set, the main contact was inside the area, Drake player falls down because he got killed. 3 point play turned into a charge. I don't know how players keep their cool when that happens, I'm sure I'd have went off.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM