Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 706
    Given: 1,230

Re: Most Disappointing Athletic Fail

Quote Originally Posted by cyfanatic13 View Post
    Doc I feel like you would be a fun guy to watch play sports
    No, not really. It's just if you play enough sports, stuff is going to happen. i actually wasn't terrible. I was all-conference baseball player and scored about 10 PPG in basketball and had 2 walk-off hits and a GW buzzer-beater to balance out all of the bad stuff. It's just the bad stuff is always the first that comes to mind.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 239
    Given: 132

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    I blocked a layup from one of my own teammates. It was the guy I regularly guarded during practice and we were rarely on the court together, so instincts took over and I stuffed him off of an inbounds play. At least it got a good laugh from the bench.
    Was it in the closing seconds of the game and you were down by 1 or 2? That'd make it a huge fail.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    Was it in the closing seconds of the game and you were down by 1 or 2? That'd make it a huge fail.
    No, we were up by like 36 points, which was the only reason that guy was even playing. So it's not so much a fail that impacted the outcome, but I sure did get a lot of grief about it for the rest of the season.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    No, we were up by like 36 points, which was the only reason that guy was even playing. So it's not so much a fail that impacted the outcome, but I sure did get a lot of grief about it for the rest of the season.
    So you blocked that guys chance at posting in the other thread. The only chance he had to score some points and you took that from him. What a dick.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 74

One time in basketball practice we were running offense and I and another guy crossed under the basket. We collided hard. I went down and my knee instantly was swollen and hurt like a *****. I thought we had knocked knees. Turns out my knee hit him directly in the nuts. He sat for the rest of the day. Poor guy.

It's all snark from here on out

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 101

In no particular order
    First Track Race of career - Last in a JV 800m run. Coach asked me if I knew it was only 4 laps (200m track)

Last Race of Track career - Last at State 1600m run. Drank a 32oz gatorade after the 4x800 and due to a rain delay they were speading things up. The second the gun went off I instantly wanted to puke. Had the 10 best time coming in and was right in the medal hunt, so that was a bummer. The sarcastic cheers from my team when I finished got a laugh out of me.

Broke my arm in front of the girls track team dunking a basketball after practice, they noticed.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,555
    Given: 748

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    Playing football my senior year in high school. Crosstown rivalry in the playoffs. We had lost the matchup in the regular season at home - now we're playing on their field.

We are up pretty big in the first half and have the ball. I play on the offensive line. Our running back breaks free down the outside and I am trailing the play. Not sure what I was thinking, but I decide to turn around and try to stop someone that might be trying to catch him.

Big mistake. I'm still stopping my momentum and beginning to turn my head around when their best defensive player - a lineman who now starts for a BCS conference champion team - absolutely demolished me, right in front of their student section. It was the biggest hit I have ever taken, and to make it worse, I heard the "OHHHH!!!!" come from the crowd as I smashed into the ground. I felt like I was hit by a truck.

Our running back got caught at around the 10 yard line, and I remember this being the only time that I ever ran back to the huddle laughing. I think I did that because I wasn't sure how else to react. Probably because I was a little woozy, too.

Luckily no one else saw it happen that was on the field, but after we got in the end zone a couple plays later, I heard it from everyone on the sideline.

We still won the game by 30+.
    That reminds me of 7th grade football. First major error- wore my shoulder pads backwards for the first practice and had to change. Took endless crap for that, and one of my friends later in high school still remembered it and was still laughing about it.

Related to your story, I was put in at MLB when I was about five foot tall and 85 lbs. Couldn't see over line to see what was going on. All of a sudden the line opened up and our star RB came through the line at full speed. Caught me completely flat footed and ran me over. I just remember the coach coming up and asking me if I was ok while I was laying there flat on my back.

Addict
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 138

First semester at juco and a bunch of friends and i got an intramural bball team and thought we would kill the comp because we all played in hs. First game we saw who we were playing and didnt know who they were. The juco we were at was a place that basically criminals and dummys would go to get grades up before going d1 football and bball. 2 of the guys were featured in the first and 1 mix tapes, 1 guy became an nfl special teams star, the others all went d1 in bball and football.

They beat us by like 100-20 and it was then i realized how legit real athletes are. Almost every point they scored was either alley oop or a dunk. A guy jumped over me and dunked. The rest of the year that team would have a crowd watching them, they were amazing.

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 195

Freshman year football, I was playing corner and Marshalltown's running back got to the edge and turned the corner, I tried to tackle him when he get to the sideline but actually bounced backward off him. This was all in front of the home crowd too. I don't think my parents claimed that I was there son after that for like a month. I swear that dude was like in his 4th "freshman" year, he had to have weighed 240 pounds.

I also have to throw my hat into the "kicked out of intramurals", once for arguing with refs in softball, once for arguing with refs in football and once for throwing elbows in soccer.

Legend
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,113
    Given: 64

Gotta be getting hit in the head with an 85 mph pitch in the earhole. Getting a concussion, falling down, getting up stumbling towards first from pure instinct and falling down again.

Walk On
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I'm torn between two athletic fails in my life. 1) I won a district chamionship in chess. 2) I played in a family softball game and face-planted the ground when tripping over my own two feet to make a catch in the outfield.

People like me are the reason sports games are made available on video game systems because we suck at every attempt at real life athletic events.

Cyclones be Praised

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 3

Middle School basketball tourney.

A couple seconds left in the quarter and I am on a break away with a guy running after me. I shoot the ball at the buzzer so badly that they call a foul on the guy. (never touched me). I then got to stand on the court by myself (quarter had ended) and miss both free throws.

Also in 7th grade, I was racing the mile at a track meet and i was so far behind everyone that i had to shake my head at the guys who hold the finish line string to let them know i wasn't in first place.

I LIEK CHOCOLATE MILK - The Partisan Bat

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not a huge "weiner"
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    "Yeah, Chris' weiner is a way bigger get than mine."

Legend
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 600
    Given: 303

Got banned from intramurals for the rest of my life during the flag football championships. I got into a huge argument with the referee, who didn't know anything and didn't understand offsides. I swear some of those flag football refs have never touched a football in their life.
    However, after pleading my case with Gary Greenlee (sp? Head of intramurals guy) he allowed me to play again and said that ref basically didn't know anything.

I used to play club soccer when I was younger and in my very last game ever I got into a fight and got a red card. It was against a team from Inglewood, CA.

Actually, these might not be fails, but more likely accomplishments.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Cycl1 View Post
    Middle School basketball tourney.

A couple seconds left in the quarter and I am on a break away with a guy running after me. I shoot the ball at the buzzer so badly that they call a foul on the guy. (never touched me). I then got to stand on the court by myself (quarter had ended) and miss both free throws.

Also in 7th grade, I was racing the mile at a track meet and i was so far behind everyone that i had to shake my head at the guys who hold the finish line string to let them know i wasn't in first place.

Solid Values! A teammate and I finished 5th and 6th in a race because kids that were getting lapped saw the string out and quit. It wasn't a scored meet, but it was pretty entertaining seeing the mass confusion that ensued.

Starter
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 592
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 3

I intercepted a pass two yards into the end zone and was well on my way to a 102 yard pick-6 (I was the 2nd fastest on my team), until I got tackled by the 40-yard line. I pretty much laid there in disbelief for about 5 seconds before getting up and giving the ball to the ref.

The worst part was watching (and re-watching) it all during film session. All my coaches and teammates laughing as I went down with the entire opposition at least 5-10 yards behind me. Brutal...

At least we won the game by 4 TDs.