Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

Starting pitching is way way way more important than positional players. As a lifelong royals fan they havent had a decent starting rotation in decades. The core of positional player currently on team are young and very solid. I think easily the best since the 70s and 80s. EVERY position is solid except for RF. RF is not a black hole that keeps you being a good team. I hate to give future talent up but this trade changes the whole current team for better, easily.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    So what would you have done? Who would you have traded?
    It's more of what I would not have done. Don't pay for mediocrity when you're a 75 win team.

- Don't extend Francouer
    - Don't extend Chen
    - Don't spend $13 mil on a serious injury risk in Santan
    - Non-tender Hochevar

That puts me approximately $16 million under the supposed payroll limit of $70 million.

- Sign Sanchez or Edwin Jackson for approximately $15 mil a year
    - Package one of Crow/Herrera/Holland with Yordano Ventura for a cost-controlled No.3 or No. 4 type starter.

Go with this rotation until Paulino and Duffy come back.

Sanchez
    Guthrie
    Mendoza
    Pitcher in trade
    Odorizzi/Will Smith

The pitching wouldn't be terribly improved, but Myers will be an improvement on 2012 Francouer. If not, then go with Dyson and Cain, and watch how much the pitching magically improves with a great defensive outfield.

Conservatively, you're looking at a 2 win improvement in the pitching staff, and a 2 win improvement from getting rid of Francouer. Just as much as the Royals would get from Shields, and without hamstringing the next offseason budget.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 12

When I first heard the deal I thought this skewed way in Tampa's favor, but now that I have had some time to simmer on it, I don't think it's as lopsided as originally thought. There are alot of factors at play here that made the price for James Sheilds VERY high, mainly because of the number of teams legitamately in the race for him. I am a huge Wil Myers fan and think he will be a 285/35/115 type guy for quite a while, but the Royals really need a top of the rotation guy and Shields is exactly that. He will eat innings and do very well in the Central.

Myers straight up for Shields would have been a pretty fair trade, if no other teams were interested. Odorizi could have been a number 3 type for the Royals this year, but like many have said, they want a number one and they got one of the 10-12 legit number ones out there.

As for Hochever, I think they NEED to move him to the bullpen. He's a guy who threw the ball hard as an amature and might be able to be a real asset in the pen if he is throwing in short bursts with possible closer type potential after a couple of years.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 56

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    It's more of what I would not have done. Don't pay for mediocrity when you're a 75 win team.

- Don't extend Francouer
    - Don't extend Chen
    - Non-tender Hochevar

That puts me approximately $16 million under the supposed payroll limit of $70 million.

- Package one of Crow/Herrera/Holland with Yordano Ventura for a cost-controlled No.3 or No. 4 type starter.

Sanchez
    Guthrie
    Mendoza
    Pitcher in trade
    Odorizzi/Will Smith

The pitching wouldn't be terribly improved, but Myers will be an improvement on 2012 Francouer. If not, then go with Dyson and Cain, and watch how much the pitching magically improves with a great defensive outfield.

Conservatively, you're looking at a 2 win improvement in the pitching staff, and a 2 win improvement from getting rid of Francouer. Just as much as the Royals would get from Shields, and without hamstringing the next offseason budget.
    I don't think Glass would be willing to lay out all the cash and years that it will require for Sanchez, which is pretty risky for a team like the Royals with their owner's Walmart mentality. I don't mind Santana at $12 mil since he is only for one year so the longterm risk is minimal. Agree on Frenchy, Chen, and Hochevar, I hate those stupid $5M signings of guys who are no better than a minimum wage minor leaguer.

I think our current rotation (imo it goes Shields, Guthrie, Santana, Davis, then Mendoza/Chen/Hoch) for 2013 is a pretty decent step up from the one you have listed. I don't think the Shields trade hamstrings our budget too much for next offseason though, he will basically be making the same as Sanchez this year and thankfully we won't have to pay Chen, Hoch, or Frenchy in 2014. And if Paulino and Duffy make it back from Tommy John we will hopefully not have to spend significant money next offseason on another SP. But we won't find a RF with Myers upside and low cost either.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Royals bet big, get 'the piece' in James Shields after blockbuster trade with Rays - Yahoo! Sports

Article by Jeff Passan. According to this article and his tweets last night, the trade was good and needed. Still don't understand how this could be bad for KC.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cybsball20 View Post
    When I first heard the deal I thought this skewed way in Tampa's favor, but now that I have had some time to simmer on it, I don't think it's as lopsided as originally thought. There are alot of factors at play here that made the price for James Sheilds VERY high, mainly because of the number of teams legitamately in the race for him. I am a huge Wil Myers fan and think he will be a 285/35/115 type guy for quite a while, but the Royals really need a top of the rotation guy and Shields is exactly that. He will eat innings and do very well in the Central.

Myers straight up for Shields would have been a pretty fair trade, if no other teams were interested. Odorizi could have been a number 3 type for the Royals this year, but like many have said, they want a number one and they got one of the 10-12 legit number ones out there.

As for Hochever, I think they NEED to move him to the bullpen. He's a guy who threw the ball hard as an amature and might be able to be a real asset in the pen if he is throwing in short bursts with possible closer type potential after a couple of years.
    I think we just need to cut Hochevar. I believe we would only owe him like 1/6 of his salary if we cut him before opening day, something like that. I agree that he could be good in the bullpen, but we already have a bunch of studs in the pen and Hoch would cost ~ $5M.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 12

Royals bet big, get 'the piece' in James Shields after blockbuster trade with Rays - Yahoo! Sports

Article by Jeff Passan. According to this article and his tweets last night, the trade was good and needed. Still don't understand how this could be bad for KC.

It could be bad for KC if Myers ends up being the next Dale Murphy as many have predicted and Odorizzi ends up being a solid middle of the rotation guy and the young core of the Royals show that they aren't ready to compete for a division title just yet.

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

- Don't extend Francouer
    - Don't extend Chen
    - Non-tender Hochevar

Sanchez
    Guthrie
    Mendoza
    Pitcher in trade
    Odorizzi/Will Smith

So Wil Myers would have brought us to the playoffs? I will miss Wil Myers and COULD be a good player. However there was a lot of risk with him and we probably would have gotten maybe 3-4 more wins with him. Shields is a guy who could easily get 15+ wins in a season, especially against AL central teams. Wade Davis is another pitcher that could get plenty of wins. We have the offense to contend. We've had it for quite awhile now, but haven't had the pitching.

And I still don't get everyone's hatred for Frenchy that they would play Dyson before him. That thought alone makes me sick.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneIce View Post
    I think we just need to cut Hochevar. I believe we would only owe him like 1/6 of his salary if we cut him before opening day, something like that. I agree that he could be good in the bullpen, but we already have a bunch of studs in the pen and Hoch would cost ~ $5M.
    Hochevar has always been a head case. Guy needs to go big time.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

I'm all for the try the failed starter in the bullpen, his stuff will play up approach. But I just don't think it will work with Hochevar. His biggest failure in the majors is that he's an absolute dumpster fire when runners get on base. In his career batters hit .252/.313/.425 when there is nobody on base. With runners on, opposing hitters have a .304/.372/.480 line against Hoch with even uglier splits when you start to get guys in scoring position. I don't know if he's got a mechanical problem in his delivery from the stretch or if he's just a mental midget when guys get on base, but he's been this way for years. If they haven't figured out how to fix it by now, I don't see it happening. And I don't want a guy in the bullpen who ***** himself every time there's a runner on base.

Legend
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 157
    Given: 275

So Wil Myers would have brought us to the playoffs? I will miss Wil Myers and COULD be a good player. However there was a lot of risk with him and we probably would have gotten maybe 3-4 more wins with him. Shields is a guy who could easily get 15+ wins in a season, especially against AL central teams. Wade Davis is another pitcher that could get plenty of wins. We have the offense to contend. We've had it for quite awhile now, but haven't had the pitching.

And I still don't get everyone's hatred for Frenchy that they would play Dyson before him. That thought alone makes me sick.
    I don't think they're very likely to compete this year no matter what Dayton Moore did. I'm somebody that's starting to warm up to this deal a bit too after sleeping on it.

I'm feeling a bit for Dayton right now, as I suspect Glass graciously told him he'd raise the payroll to $70 Million (thanks you crotchety old bastard) but also demanded they compete this year.

Dyson was better offensively that Francouer last year. The thing that just pisses me off terribly about Dayton Moore is that he will buy high on guys like Chen, Francouer, and Guthrie after they have very limited success. I'd rather they use cheap, young players than spend millions on mediocrity.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think they're very likely to compete this year no matter what Dayton Moore did. I'm somebody that's starting to warm up to this deal a bit too after sleeping on it.

I'm feeling a bit for Dayton right now, as I suspect Glass graciously told him he'd raise the payroll to $70 Million (thanks you crotchety old bastard) but also demanded they compete this year.

Dyson was better offensively that Francouer last year. The thing that just pisses me off terribly about Dayton Moore is that he will buy high on guys like Chen, Francouer, and Guthrie after they have very limited success. I'd rather they use cheap, young players than spend millions on mediocrity.

Then it will be the same bull**** you'll see year in and year out. It's been way too long since the Royals have competed for anything. 2003 was the last year they had a chance of making the playoffs and even that was a pipe dream. They'll compete in the AL Central with this lineup and rotation.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

I'm not a huge Dyson fan, but all you have to do is look at last year's numbers:

Frenchy - .235/.287/.378
    Dyson - .260/.328/.322

Francoeur had a .287 OBP last year. That is just ATROCIOUS! Add in the fact that he had zero range in RF & I think it's pretty reasonable for most fans to prefer Dyson right now. Dyson had some defensive hiccups last year but I still think he's a plus defender in CF and he stole 30 bases in 292 ABs last year. I'd prefer somebody better than either, but right now I'd rather roll with Dyson in CF and Cain in RF. Add in Gordon in LF & that's a really good defensive OF that makes our improved rotation even better.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by shagcarpetjesus View Post
    I'm all for the try the failed starter in the bullpen, his stuff will play up approach. But I just don't think it will work with Hochevar. His biggest failure in the majors is that he's an absolute dumpster fire when runners get on base. In his career batters hit .252/.313/.425 when there is nobody on base. With runners on, opposing hitters have a .304/.372/.480 line against Hoch with even uglier splits when you start to get guys in scoring position. I don't know if he's got a mechanical problem in his delivery from the stretch or if he's just a mental midget when guys get on base, but he's been this way for years. If they haven't figured out how to fix it by now, I don't see it happening. And I don't want a guy in the bullpen who ***** himself every time there's a runner on base.
    Great point. And it always drives me crazy listening to the coaches try to figure out what is wrong with Hoch. Its pretty obvious, dude just can't pitch with men on base. I can't remember how many games I have watched where he rolled for 4 innings, then got men on base and gave up like 6 runs. He is a meltdown waiting to happen.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I hope we do... not certain though, our offense was actually 12th in the AL in runs scored last year. However, that was missing Perez and Cain much of the year, and with Hosmer and Frenchy absolutely sucking it up. If we stay healthy and Hosmer comes around that could be a huge improvement. Then if we can get anything decent from the RF position (seriously, should always be able to find at least an average bat for RF) we could improve significantly.