Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 181
  1. #31
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 160,600, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GMackey32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    Posts
    4,951
    Points
    160,600
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    They have to make a move to for an OF now. Hoch won't get anybody but Smalls from the Sandlot, but maybe he had some range in the OF and could take a walk.
    Michael Bourn or Josh Hamilton


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

    So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

  2. #32
    Pro
    Points: 59,704, Level: 75
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    3,285
    Points
    59,704
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by GMackey32 View Post
    Michael Bourn or Josh Hamilton
    Ha! Its good to laugh in times like these.


    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

  3. #33
    Pro
    Points: 57,284, Level: 74
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    MissouriCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195
    Points
    57,284
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    So who would you guys give up to get an ace here? Butler, Hosmer, Moose? Myers is good and will be a stud, but could also be a joke.

    BTW there were no great FA pitchers this year to sign or who would have wanted to sign with the Royals.


    Last edited by MissouriCyclone; 12-09-2012 at 11:19 PM.

  4. #34
    Pro
    Points: 70,673, Level: 82
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    shagcarpetjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,477
    Points
    70,673
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Just a couple of things that are really ******* me off about this from a Royals perspective....

    1. I like Shields. I think he's a good pitcher & in a vacuum, I'm glad he's a Royal now. But he's only under contract for 2 more years. He's not worth arguably the best hitting prospect in baseball given his contract status.

    2. The Royals may have improved their rotation which was desperately needed, but now they have a huge hole to fill in RF. Get ready for the Francoeur tour of 2013 in KC & then they have nothing in the minors. Some people have mentioned Bonifacio, but he's AT A MINIMUM 2 years away from the majors. The kid played in the Midwest League last season for crying out loud.

    3. Giving up Odorizzi & Montgomery for Wade Davis just makes this deal even worse. If the Royals plan on using Davis in the rotation, I'd argue that Odorizzi could probably come close to putting up the same numbers. And the more I think about this, the more I think the Royals are going to regret selling low on Monty. Lanky, power-lefties sometimes take longer to figure things out. I have a horrible feeling that it's going to happen in Tampa now. Of course, it's ridiculous to assume that Monty would have ever figured things out in the Royals organization with their stellar record of developing pitching.


    Last edited by shagcarpetjesus; 12-09-2012 at 11:22 PM.

  5. #35
    Pro
    Points: 57,284, Level: 74
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    MissouriCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195
    Points
    57,284
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by balken View Post
    As long as David Glass is CEO of the Royals this is the kind of trade to expect. Trade the future (and potential financial outlay it will take to maintain it) for the potential of inexpensive mediocrity today.
    This is why Cerner Corp. needs to take over the Royals. They've done great things for Sporting KC. They are also going to make bank off the Obama Care thing.



  6. #36
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 160,600, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GMackey32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    Posts
    4,951
    Points
    160,600
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by shagcarpetjesus View Post
    Just a couple of things that are really ******* me off about this from a Royals perspective....

    1. I like Shields. I think he's a good pitcher & in a vacuum, I'm glad he's a Royal now. But he's only under contract for 2 more years. He's not worth arguably the best hitting prospect in baseball given his contract status.

    2. The Royals may have improved their rotation which was desperately needed, but now they have a huge hole to fill in RF. Get ready for the Francoeur tour of 2013 in KC & then they have nothing in the minors. Some people have mentioned Bonifacio, but he's AT A MINIMUM 2 years away from the majors. The kid played in the Midwest League last season for crying out loud.

    3. Giving up Odorizzi & Montgomery for Wade Davis just makes this deal even worse. If the Royals plan on using Davis in the rotation, I'd argue that Odorizzi could probably come close to putting up the same numbers. And the more I think about this, the more I think the Royals are going to regret selling low on Monty. Lanky, power-lefties sometimes take longer to figure things out. I have a horrible feeling that it's going to happen in Tampa now. Of course, it's ridiculous to assume that Monty would have ever figured things out in the Royals organization with their stellar record of developing pitching.
    This is the reason why the Royals were in this desperate situation. It's ridiculous.


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

    So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

  7. #37
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 160,600, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    GMackey32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames Via Cedar Falls
    Posts
    4,951
    Points
    160,600
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    This is why Cerner Corp. needs to take over the Royals. They've done great things for Sporting KC. They are also going to make bank off the Obama Care thing.
    THIS


    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

    So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

  8. #38
    Pro
    Points: 59,704, Level: 75
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    3,285
    Points
    59,704
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    This is why Cerner Corp. needs to take over the Royals. They've done great things for Sporting KC. They are also going to make bank off the Obama Care thing.
    Cerner doesn't have the money. Stan Kroenke needs to buy them. From Missouri, grew up a Cardinals fan, was in on the Dodgers last year, owns the Nuggets/Avs/Liverpool and the St. Louis Rams.


    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

  9. #39
    Pro
    Points: 57,284, Level: 74
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    MissouriCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195
    Points
    57,284
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Cerner doesn't have the money. Stan Kroenke needs to buy them. From Missouri, grew up a Cardinals fan, was in on the Dodgers last year, owns the Nuggets/Avs/Liverpool and the St. Louis Rams.
    They are building a huge building next to Legends in KCK. They are also the only company that does medical records digitally which is one of the things listed in Obama Care.... If they don't have the money now, they will.



  10. #40
    Pro
    Points: 70,673, Level: 82
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    shagcarpetjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,477
    Points
    70,673
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    I'd be fine for overpaying for James Shields if the Royals were in a position to make a World Series push, BUT....

    1) they won 72 games last year
    2) they finished 16 games back in the division
    3) the division winner didn't even win 90 games

    I'm sorry James Shields and Wade Davis don't make this team 16 games better in the standings. And you just gave up your solution for improving the black hole in RF not only for next season but for the next 6+ years.



  11. #41
    Pro
    Points: 57,284, Level: 74
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    MissouriCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195
    Points
    57,284
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by shagcarpetjesus View Post
    I'm sorry James Shields and Wade Davis don't make this team 16 games better in the standings. And you just gave up your solution for improving the black hole in RF not only for next season but for the next 6+ years.
    So what would you have done? Who would you have traded?



  12. #42
    Pro
    Points: 59,704, Level: 75
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    3,285
    Points
    59,704
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    So what would you have done? Who would you have traded?
    Perhaps we should have a different plan when learning how to develop starting pitchers so we don't have to trade away cheap home grown talent. The Royals got better, but for what they gave up they should have at least gotten Moore or Hellinkson, somebody a little younger.


    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

  13. #43
    Pro
    Points: 70,673, Level: 82
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    shagcarpetjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,477
    Points
    70,673
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Buster Olney tweet from 1 year ago...

    Gio Gonzalez and Royals would seem a possible match--but as Dayton Moore said last month, he's not trading Wil Myers or other top prospects.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/Buster_ES...03556173406208



  14. #44
    Pro
    Points: 70,673, Level: 82
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    shagcarpetjesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,477
    Points
    70,673
    Level
    82
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    So what would you have done? Who would you have traded?
    They didn't HAVE to do anything this year. Unfortunately, I think Dayton is starting to feel the heat, panicked, and got bent over a chair by Friedman. I'd try to get Anibal Sanchez in KC by overpaying & keep Myers and Odorizzi. If Sanchez laughs in your face, you roll with what you have and make a run for your stud pitcher later. Maybe make another incremental improvement by signing a guy like Edwin Jackson.

    This idea that the Royals had to load up and go for it all this year is insane. THEY WON 72 GAMES LAST YEAR! I know there are crazier turnarounds in baseball history, but to logically think that the Royals are just a tiny little bit away from making a run in the playoffs is pretty laughable.



  15. #45
    Pro
    Points: 57,284, Level: 74
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    MissouriCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,195
    Points
    57,284
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

    Quote Originally Posted by shagcarpetjesus View Post
    They didn't HAVE to do anything this year. Unfortunately, I think Dayton is starting to feel the heat, panicked, and got bent over a chair by Friedman. I'd try to get Anibal Sanchez in KC by overpaying & keep Myers and Odorizzi. If Sanchez laughs in your face, you roll with what you have and make a run for your stud pitcher later. Maybe make another incremental improvement by signing a guy like Edwin Jackson.

    This idea that the Royals had to load up and go for it all this year is insane. THEY WON 72 GAMES LAST YEAR! I know there are crazier turnarounds in baseball history, but to logically think that the Royals are just a tiny little bit away from making a run in the playoffs is pretty laughable.
    Anything is possible after what Detroit did a couple years ago when they lost 116 games and won the WS the next year. Not to say we are going to win a WS, but they do play in the worst division in baseball. To think they aren't going to compete for the central is dumb.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM