Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Royals on the verge of acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Fine. Anibal Sanchez. Brandon McCarthy. Shawn Marcum. Sign any of those guys for the same money, replace Francour with Myers, and you've upgraded your pitching and your lineup, while staying cheap.

A lot of things have to happen for this deal to even make sense. They need to find a reliable replacement for Francour. Davis needs to actually be a good starter. Shields needs to pitch better than he has away from the Trop. What kind of Fan do I need to be? I've watched decades of Royals idiocy and now I'm seeing more. Every Royals fan should have to read the Grantland article. If they can still be excited about it in the face of that then I commend them.
    There's plenty of articles that are positive about it as well. In fact George Brett just came on 610 sports and said if they don't start winning now (or at least try) you're not even going to be close to keeping guys like Moose and Hosmer. Sanchez and Marcum are **** poor compared to Shields. You want mediocre, Anibal Sanchez and Marcum are mediocre. Sanchez was going to want money and wouldn't have been cheap for what we were getting for him IMO. Marcum threw 100 less innings than Shields as well, something to look at with a solid young bullpen. Can't be having them throw 3-4 innings in every game like we have been.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 114
    Given: 61

Terrible, terrible trade... as a Royals fan this is so discouraging. Here is the thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread... they are paying Shields and Davis close to 20 million the next two years. Why not keep your prospects and just spend another 4 million and sign Grienke again?
    Because that would require a commitment of another $130 Million? And that is assuming Greinke wanted to comeback to KC or wouldn't ask for more than LA. David Glass won't ever commit that kind of cash long term to a pitcher. Comparing 2 years at $20 M for two pitchers vs. 6 years at $20M + is not an accurate comparison.

Oh, and Shields numbers have been superior to Greinke the past two years... and Shields pitched in the AL East while ZG was mostly in NL Central.

Last edited by CloneIce; 12-11-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    Got a better one for ya.... Mike MacDougal signed baseball. Yeah that's right.
    I have a glove signed by Terry Leach from when I was a kid. I believe he was a middle reliever. He was probably more excited than me to have someone wanting his autograph.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Fine. Anibal Sanchez. Brandon McCarthy. Shawn Marcum. Sign any of those guys for the same money, replace Francour with Myers, and you've upgraded your pitching and your lineup, while staying cheap.

A lot of things have to happen for this deal to even make sense. They need to find a reliable replacement for Francour. Davis needs to actually be a good starter. Shields needs to pitch better than he has away from the Trop. What kind of Fan do I need to be? I've watched decades of Royals idiocy and now I'm seeing more. Every Royals fan should have to read the Grantland article. If they can still be excited about it in the face of that then I commend them.
    Sanchez is looking like he will take 5 and $70M or more to sign. And Shields is a better pitcher. He is also better than Mccarthy or Marcum.

I've read the Grantland article... I didn't need to read it really as I knew Rany's thoughts on the deal already. I've also read several articles with quotes from baseball executives and scouts who liked the trade better for the Royals, or thought it was even. I like Rany's writing but it is still just one man's opinions, and Rany does error on favoring prospects over established players. I've spent years waiting for prospects to pan out or expecting them to be saviors, only to watch them fail or take years to become good players. I'm excited because we are actually trying to win now and have a legit shot to do so, and finally have a real major league rotation - seriously, Davis profiles as our #4 starter and he is better than anyone we had last year pre the Sanchez for Guthrie trade.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

That says more about our staff than Davis.

And I agree that Shields is better than Sanchez, McCarthy, or Marcum. The point is that you still get a better staff with those guys, and you get the make the upgrade of Myers for Francour in the outfield. As it is we have a slightly better staff, and still have the worst position player in the majors signed up in RF.

If I actually had cash I would love to fly to Vegas and see what kind of odds I would get on the Royals finishing with 80 wins 2013 and trading Shields by the break in 2014.

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,810
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

I can't believe we still have people defending this miserable trade. Dayton Moore is a man who once thought it would be a good idea to trade Billy Butler for Yuniesky B. How can we trust this person to run the ballclub?

KC's starters to open next year will be 31, 34, 34, and 36. That has epic fail written all over it.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

And I agree that Shields is better than Sanchez, McCarthy, or Marcum. The point is that you still get a better staff with those guys, and you get the make the upgrade of Myers for Francour in the outfield. As it is we have a slightly better staff, and still have the worst position player in the majors signed up in RF.

If I actually had cash I would love to fly to Vegas and see what kind of odds I would get on the Royals finishing with 80 wins 2013 and trading Shields by the break in 2014.
    I'd bet on the Royals winning 80 next year. Probably wouldn't bet on us to make the playoffs but 80 wins is a bet I'd take. I'd like to get rid of Frenchy too, but RF is not exactly the hardest position to fill, if he sucks again we should be at least able to replace him with a replacement level player.

Speechless
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFine View Post
    I can't believe we still have people defending this miserable trade. Dayton Moore is a man who once thought it would be a good idea to trade Billy Butler for Yuniesky B. How can we trust this person to run the ballclub?

KC's starters to open next year will be 31, 34, 34, and 36. That has epic fail written all over it.
    Davis is 27. Santana is 29 now and will be 30 next year. Where are you getting these numbers?

Also, Shields and Guthrie are both very durable starters who haven't had injury trouble. Not worried about old man Chen as he is interchangeable with Mendonza or others if he even makes the rotation.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

Greinke would never, ever, ever come back. The Dodgers told him to go get his best offer and then come back to them because they would top it. And it's easier to find a serviceable corner outfielder than it is to find a front of the rotation guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFine View Post

Davis will be 27
    Santana will be 30
    Shields will be 31
    Guthrie will be 33

Chen will be 35, Hochevar will be 29, Mendoza will be 29. One of these guys will most likely fill the #5 spot until Paulino and Duffy come back.

Paulino will be 29. Duffy will be 24.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I agree. We didn't choose Iowa State because it is easy. We chose Iowa State because it is awesome.
    Post from HawkeyeNation:

So frickin jealous of what they have in Ames. It's truly amazing what Fred has done coming in with 0 coaching experience.

All-Star
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 889
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriCyclone View Post
    Got a better one for ya.... Mike MacDougal signed baseball. Yeah that's right.
    idk if i can top that. but i do have joe randa and jeff suppan!

Pro
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

1) The royals still have tons of talent in the minors. Its just in the low minors, but will be ready in two to three years and Moose and Hoz and Perez and the others are still under control so your "small window" theory is invalid.
    2) Marcum and McCarthey are hurt every year and aren't as good as shields
    3) With the amount of money the Royals would have to overpay to get him to even come here would be so much it would cripple the franchise for the future.
    4) This team is better right now with Cain in RF and Dyson in CF. With David Lough filling in for both. After talking to some Royals people Francouer is going to have a VERY SHORT leash this year.
    5) Yes this move is a win now move, but the Royals haven't made a win now move in two decades
    6) Stats guys overvalue prospects. The best minor league system has never won you a World Series. Trading prospects for proven big leaguers is what most teams do to win.
    7) Will Myers struck out 140 times last year
    8) and to really push the point home, FA pitchers of any >Replacement level pitching only come to KC if you insanely overpay, which is what would have had to happen for Annibel Sanchez who is going to get close to get 15-20 a year now.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Pro
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

If you think Marcum and McCarthey are going to give you even 150 innings your insane, and then you are left with Will Smith and Everett Teaford starting. Why OVERPAY for a pitcher to come to KC, when you know he is just going to get hurt.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 777
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 3

The Royals invited Willy Tavares to Spring Training. Championship!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 124

Holy balls, batman, Tavares for the championship. Meet the Cubs in the series.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.