Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Best laptop for a professional photograper

My son wants to make photography his profession, and he is wanting a Mac to help download his pictures from his camera, is there another laptop that compares to a Mac that is a little cheaper? I am talking about the $1000 range.

Thank for your suggestions!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,152
    Given: 818

Re: Best laptop for a professional photograper

In before Apple owners orgasm over their Macs while trying to explain why no other computer exists outside of Apple, and Windows users storm this thread with torches in attempt to lynch the Mac users...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 166

If this is going to be his profession, he needs to take the time to research true color monitors (for editing) before deciding on a computer to buy. (I'd recommend a traditional desktop & monitor before a laptop.)

Prospect
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAgronomist View Post
    If this is going to be his profession, he needs to take the time to research true color monitors (for editing) before deciding on a computer to buy. (I'd recommend a traditional desktop & monitor before a laptop.)
    The only reason for having a computer is for post processing, hence a true color monitor and I might add "Calibration equipment" not only to calibrate your monitor, but to calibrate your printer. But, before I'd spend a bunch of dollars on a unique computer, I'd spend the gazillion dollars on good solid Nikon or Canon camera bodies and their matching lenses. I highly recommend using only Nikon or Canon lenses, unless you can afford better. Fixed focal length in the wide angles and telephoto ranges and zooms in the 24 - 200mm ranges, each telephoto should be no more then 3X. The majority of photography is all in the lens. The final lens and camera selections should be based on what type of photography he is planning on specializing in.

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

Quote Originally Posted by cyfreddy View Post
    My son wants to make photography his profession, and he is wanting a Mac to help download his pictures from his camera, is there another laptop that compares to a Mac that is a little cheaper? I am talking about the $1000 range.

Thank for your suggestions!
    How about sending an email to the Greenlee School of Journalism faculty and ask that the question be sent to the appropriate photography professor for reply

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 429
    Given: 269

Apple and PC will work fine. I know peers using either and it's all preferences. I started PC and switched to a MBP in 2009 (now have a 27" iMac too) - for me I prefer the Apple products by far. I'd recommend retouching with a tablet. I remember when I started for a few months I used a mouse and then moved to a tablet (started with Wacom Bamboo Fun, now have Intuos Medium) - drastic improvements. Retouching with a mouse is clunky and not precise at all.

Calibration - recommend the Spyder. We are actually selling a Spyder3 Elite as we have an extra. Calibration is incredibly important and should be calibrated based in the various light conditions and time of day. And when you calibrate - don't sit with the device wearing a colored shirt. :) It's actually best to start the calibration and just walk away. Ensure the brightness is set properly when calibrating. And know your prints will always look slightly darker than on your screen as it's backlit.

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmthornt View Post
    The only reason for having a computer is for post processing, hence a true color monitor and I might add "Calibration equipment" not only to calibrate your monitor, but to calibrate your printer. But, before I'd spend a bunch of dollars on a unique computer, I'd spend the gazillion dollars on good solid Nikon or Canon camera bodies and their matching lenses. I highly recommend using only Nikon or Canon lenses, unless you can afford better. Fixed focal length in the wide angles and telephoto ranges and zooms in the 24 - 200mm ranges, each telephoto should be no more then 3X. The majority of photography is all in the lens. The final lens and camera selections should be based on what type of photography he is planning on specializing in.
    Camera and printer are taken care of. He will be using a Canon.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,451
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

just get him a cheap laptop. Chances are its going to be used for internet radio and gaming. Saying you want to be a professional photographer is just saying, you want to put off selling used Ford F-150's a couple more years.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,490
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 202
    Given: 199

Mac is the clear choice. Also, if he wants a Mac now he'll never stop wanting a Mac.

Remember, you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Starter
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 786
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Apple and PC will work fine. I know peers using either and it's all preferences. I started PC and switched to a MBP in 2009 (now have a 27" iMac too) - for me I prefer the Apple products by far. I'd recommend retouching with a tablet. I remember when I started for a few months I used a mouse and then moved to a tablet (started with Wacom Bamboo Fun, now have Intuos Medium) - drastic improvements. Retouching with a mouse is clunky and not precise at all.

Calibration - recommend the Spyder. We are actually selling a Spyder3 Elite as we have an extra. Calibration is incredibly important and should be calibrated based in the various light conditions and time of day. And when you calibrate - don't sit with the device wearing a colored shirt. :) It's actually best to start the calibration and just walk away. Ensure the brightness is set properly when calibrating. And know your prints will always look slightly darker than on your screen as it's backlit.
    ISUFan22 would a Ipad work over a Macpro, or is there not enough memory on a Ipad?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 429
    Given: 269

Um, no.

Starter