Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 7

Question from a VERY casual fan

I'll preface this post with this statement. I grew up a basketball player, have never wrestled in my life, and only have a very basic understanding of how the sport "works".

It seems like a very popular opinion that ISU needs to replace Jackson. With my very limited understanding, and only watching a few matches, I would say I agree. Where I run into trouble is, who does ISU get to replace KJ?

I quite literally only know 3 coaches in NCAA wrestling. Brands, Sanderson, and Jackson. Would ISU be able to go out and get a high profile/elite coach anymore? It is sad to even someone like me how far ISU seems to have fallen in the last 3-5 years. KJ has had enough time to get it back up where it belongs, but hasn't produced...

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 2

Re: Question from a VERY casual fan

The best get we could hope for would be Rob Koll from Cornell. The guy has built something great there and recruits very well. Chris Bono would come to ISU if given the chance. If we look assistant coach, Donny Pritzlaff is an up-and-comer at Michigan who is a great recruiter by all accounts. I don't see us hiring an assistant, but you could do much worse. Personally, I would spend whatever I could to go get Koll...he would be the cream of the crop.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 704
    Given: 785

There is no possible way that Koll would leave Cornell to come to Ames. They have better facilities, better funding, better recruiting grounds, and better support from their administration.

I'd love to see Koll at ISU, I think he's a great guy and a great coach, but he isn't leaving Cornell for Iowa State.

Rookie
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 817
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 5

What about either of the Paulson brothers?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by westlbcyclone View Post
    Would ISU be able to go out and get a high profile/elite coach anymore?
    ISU isn't in a position to poach a high profile/elite coach unless some big donor money suddenly shows up. But we are in a position to lock down a quality up and comer if Pollard makes a good hire. Assuming Jackson is gone after this year he'll be leaving the program in much better shape for the future than Sanderson did. Sanderson left a great senior class and a totally bare cupboard to follow them. Now we have some depth in the room and our scholarship money isn't totally focused on one class.

Starter
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 114

Quote Originally Posted by cyadict View Post
    What about either of the Paulson brothers?
    They might still be set on Olympic training, and I'm not sure how that could impact coaching, but I would assume it'd be very difficult for a head coach.

Rookie
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    There is no possible way that Koll would leave Cornell to come to Ames. They have better facilities, better funding, better recruiting grounds, and better support from their administration.

I'd love to see Koll at ISU, I think he's a great guy and a great coach, but he isn't leaving Cornell for Iowa State.

Very Depressing Post but I suppose its the TRUTH.....

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,087
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 124

If it came to that, Iowa State ties for head coach would be any assistants at Penn State, Heskett, and Bono.

Outside Iowa State ties - some mentioned would be Mark Perry (at Illinois, fromer Iowa), Pritzlaff and Bormet (assistants at Michigan), possibly Kish (Head Coach at NDSU), maybe Jared Frayer.

For assistants - any of current staff (I like our staff, not sure why the results haven't shown up), need to talk to Jake Varner, Jake Herbert, and Coleman Scott.

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    ISU isn't in a position to poach a high profile/elite coach unless some big donor money suddenly shows up. But we are in a position to lock down a quality up and comer if Pollard makes a good hire. Assuming Jackson is gone after this year he'll be leaving the program in much better shape for the future than Sanderson did. Sanderson left a great senior class and a totally bare cupboard to follow them. Now we have some depth in the room and our scholarship money isn't totally focused on one class.
    I don't know much about wrestling either, but this post above makes it sound as if we should give KJ a few more years, right?

If Cael left the cupboard bare when he left, and KJ has finally gotten some decent depth in the wrestling room, then shouldn't he be allowed to see what he can do with this depth when it gets a bit older?

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,087
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 124

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    I don't know much about wrestling either, but this post above makes it sound as if we should give KJ a few more years, right?

If Cael left the cupboard bare when he left, and KJ has finally gotten some decent depth in the wrestling room, then shouldn't he be allowed to see what he can do with this depth when it gets a bit older?
    Maybe - We need to see some guys start developing. It needs to start tomorrow at the UNI Open and next week agaist NDSU. I'm not dismissing KJ and the staff yet. I like our staff; it needs to transfer over to results now.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

If the season turns around then yes. But right now it looks like the talent he's brought in isn't being developed. At this point his guys are redshirt freshmen and sophomores. And righ tnow they aren't showing that they are any better than they were a year ago. In many cases they look to have regressed. It is a young season yet so Midlands and January might change a lot of things. But right now it just isn't there. Jackson's recruiting has been fine and he did a wonderful job turning our "good" wrestlers into "great" wrestlers, but at this point he needs to turn a bunch of young kids into college wrestlers, and we aren't seeing that happen.

Starter
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 28

The cupboard being bare SHOULD have been a major selling point for Jackson. He should have been able to walk over to every top shelf recruit and say "you come to ISU and you start four years" and they should have been here. Instead his first full Jackson class was full of "diamonds in the rough" We are getting a couple great guys once in a while but they are not being developed. And then we are putting elite DII level wrestlers in the other areas. Yes, Cael bailed and left us in a rut but other schools are stealing recruits from us (most notibly the Cornell kid two years ago). There is something funky going on and we all have heard stories about recruits coming in and just having no interest after leaving. That is on the coaches.

Starter
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 28

For an example of what I am talking about... look at intermat we have four commits

Loren Williams (unranked) 149/157
    Adrian Cordova (unranked) 125
    Eric Hanzel (unranked) 157
    Daniel Woiwor (#82) 157/165

All three of Iowa's commits are ranked. I know we have issues at the light weights but we have 3 guys around 157 and only one of them is anything to overly brag about. Jackson hasn't announced class signings for several seasons because there is really not much to announce. THAT is the problem. Don't get me wrong, we have had a few great gets, but there are a lot more that bring a big ol' "meh?" Wrestling is a dying sport so why are we getting outrecruited by virtual upstart programs, sorry UNI, and Cornell... history of wrestling says that while you're programs are not bad, they are not great.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 278
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 421

As another casual fan, and from reading everybody on here, and there are some very knowledgable people, it is one of two things. A. Cael's departure left the cupboard bare and we are digging out of a big hole or B. KJ is a terrible Coach who is not making the wrestlers we have better. To further confuse everything the injury bug has plagued the team and we have lost good wrestlers to concussions.

I like KJ from watching interviews, and I don't think it is for a lack of passion for ISU or effort. I am somewhat comforted that Bobby Douglas oversees the program and if poor training and coaching were endemic you would think he would be on top of it.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Wrestling is not a headcount sport so simply looking at commits only tells you half the story, especially since the recruiting season is nowhere near over. How much money recruits are getting (which isn't released) is very, very important. Wrestling coaches only have 9.9 scholarships to spread out over 5 classes. Being able to get guys for smaller amounts, or getting guys to walk on and be depth contributers here rather than go D-III and be all stars is huge in wrestling. Places like Iowa and Penn State can get elite guys to walk on or take very small scholarships (and Cornell is Ivy League so doesn't do scholarships period). ISU doesn't have that luxury.